The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Making the science fiction elements harder?

While TMNT has many science fiction elements, a lot of them are soft. Would you like to see more hard science fiction at the most basic levels (like gravity, orbits, no sound in space, distances between "asteroids" or whatever).

To me, that would have been cool.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 03-01-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,429
Well it kinda depends if the writer has knowledge about said subjects if not then no.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,153
Most actual sci-fi franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek don't even do these concepts, let alone TMNT
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most actual sci-fi franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek don't even do these concepts, let alone TMNT
Star Trek claims to have hard science fiction concepts, but I don't think they're always correct.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 4,321
TMNT science tends to go for "whatever the plot needs" logic as a whole . Which usually does lead to some trouble, like the logic of interdimensional teleportation in IDW.


I stand firmly by the Utroms being in prehistoric Earth and still being alive in the present day to be really dumb. What in the world is going on with the quantum physics there...
__________________
Decent Ch'rell avatar pending: September

To my DeviantArt
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I stand firmly by the Utroms being in prehistoric Earth and still being alive in the present day to be really dumb. What in the world is going on with the quantum physics there...
At least they should've evolved bodies.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,904
There would have to be a selection pressure for that to happen though.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 4,321
Yeah, from the way things were presented with individuals aging only a little bit between capturing the Triceratops and having to flee to Earth, that would never have been a thing. And if you're thinking that the individual Utroms would have "evolved" bodies, that's not even remotely how it works.


I have...many, many qualms with the Utroms and the timeline, except for when they're in Japan. I can believe them living something like 500 years or more, but never millions upon millions.
__________________
Decent Ch'rell avatar pending: September

To my DeviantArt
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant
 
dragonside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 401
if anyone knows the anime Space Brothers. That would be a cool way to see the TMNT.

For those that don't - its about two brothers that become astronauts but follow kind of different paths and struggles. If anything, I'd like to see the type of realism and struggles that humans face for the TMNT - maybe in some sort of slice of life/drama.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
if anyone knows the anime Space Brothers. That would be a cool way to see the TMNT.

For those that don't - its about two brothers that become astronauts but follow kind of different paths and struggles. If anything, I'd like to see the type of realism and struggles that humans face for the TMNT - maybe in some sort of slice of life/drama.
The difference between soft and hard science fiction isn't about dealing with real-life social-drama issues. It's about how realistic the story describes the laws of physics.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
if anyone knows the anime Space Brothers. That would be a cool way to see the TMNT.

For those that don't - its about two brothers that become astronauts but follow kind of different paths and struggles. If anything, I'd like to see the type of realism and struggles that humans face for the TMNT - maybe in some sort of slice of life/drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The difference between soft and hard science fiction isn't about dealing with real-life social-drama issues. It's about how realistic the story describes the laws of physics.
Can I want both? Not necessarily in the same series.

Would love me some good slice of life stuff. And the rather logical side of me that wants to try to make sense of some of the details of TMNT sometimes wouldn't mind if the physics were made more realistic to add to their challenges and how they overcome them, and learn from it in the process.

Such as the aforementioned no sound in space, making it more risky and perhaps making a code of hand signals among the team important if radio communication is lost.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Star Trek claims to have hard science fiction concepts, but I don't think they're always correct.
Can't speak for that recent travesty of a series but the late 80/90s Star Trek would have a science advisor although they would be told to bend the actual science to allow certain plots to happen. Science advisor André Bormanis remembers the nightmare of having to explain how DS9's One Little Ship could happen since in terms of hard science it was impossible.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Let's say Shredder and Krang succeeded in "Take Me to Your Leader". Wouldn't that knock Earth out of orbit?
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Let's say Shredder and Krang succeeded in "Take Me to Your Leader". Wouldn't that knock Earth out of orbit?
The Earth would certainly have become a frozen, almost dead planet before that happened.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The Earth would certainly have become a frozen, almost dead planet before that happened.
Of course, but I guess the dead Earth couldn't orbit a constantly gone Sun. I know the Sun will shrink in the distant future, but Shredder and Krang would probably shrink it beyond white dwaf size.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Of course, but I guess the dead Earth couldn't orbit a constantly gone Sun. I know the Sun will shrink in the distant future, but Shredder and Krang would probably shrink it beyond white dwaf size.
Yeah probably that would happen.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, from the way things were presented with individuals aging only a little bit between capturing the Triceratops and having to flee to Earth, that would never have been a thing. And if you're thinking that the individual Utroms would have "evolved" bodies, that's not even remotely how it works.


I have...many, many qualms with the Utroms and the timeline, except for when they're in Japan. I can believe them living something like 500 years or more, but never millions upon millions.
Same with the Nickelodeon Kraang (but we don't know if their claim of finding Earth and mutating humans was even true).
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction about the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.