The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

European History

I read a lot of history related books and teach history so I thought I would make a thread about European History. The most ambitious and contentious area of the world even if the endless struggle of Middle East religions are factored together.

Europe was settled later than Africa, Asia, and the Middle East when tribes settled through out Greece coming from Turkey. From there Athens and Sparta stood out and Greece was consolidated by Alexander The Great whose territories would become apart of the Roman Empire, the most ambitious empire in history starting out as a city-state ruled by Etruscans.

After Rome fell to Getmanic tribes pushed by Atilla into the empire came the middle ages and Byzantine Empire with nation states evolving slowly from tribal kingdoms. Close kinsmenship of William The Conqueror set off an 800 year rivalry between Britain and France. Meanwhile the Muslims emerged and tried to claim land beyond successes in Spain. The Roman Catholic Church and Greek Orthodox Church ruled the kings who played politics with one another. Following the Bubonic Plague and the invention of the printing press educated beyond church officials and royals. The interest of ancient art along Scientific Revolution allowed to topple Absolutism. Also, with Constaniople fallen at the same time the 100 Years War ended competition for trade heated up looking to avoid the Ottoman Empire leading to the discovery of three other continents.

Spain forms vanquishing Islam and leads the Age of Exploration. Britain and France continue to compete while Britain becomes the U.K. and protestantism is born. Political interest always seemed to trump religious reasons such as the result of the Thirty Years War. The Spanish will have the most land thanks to early investments and Line of Demarcation in its favor. The Seven Years War, American Revolution, and Napoleonic Wars served as a second 100 years war this time ending in British favor despite losing the North American interests it turned to Australia and India and helped theindustral. The French Revolution was the first echo of the American Revolution and the attempt to hold onto monarchies lasted only a generation with the Revolutions of 1848. This inspired the formation of Germany under Prussia with Austria holding out and allying with Hungary for sixty years. Learning its mistakes in the Revolution and seeing France ignore it's people Britian experienced an era of common man interest avoided difficulties and France and Britain team up for the first time in the underrated Crimean War. Meanwhile Italy forms after a millennium of shifting city-states. European rivalry tears up Africa after the U.S. is able to stand up for itself and the resources for industrial growth are forced with tensions boiling up to create the main causes of the First World War.

The First World War forced the attention of nation-states world-wide despite the Europeans taking center stage. France wanting revenge for forming Germany in its front yard leads to a follow up with Treaty of Versailles sparking the even worse Second World War. The oddity of Europe The Ottoman Empire was dismantled leading to Turkey and the Middle East with empires a thing of the past. World War Two is the biggest war in history but this time Germany has different allies, Japan and Italy, the latter taken over by a dictator switched sides. Democracy made a marriage of convince with Communist Russia after Hitler became the immediate threat breaking its sometimes alliance like when it took Poland off the map for 125 years with Austria and Prussia. After strategy and reinforcements proved the difference in Europe and atomic bombs in the Pacific the Cold War began with Europe and Asia the playing fields of democracy vs communism. Democratic west freed the remainder of its territories and NATO and Warsaw took sides. The Berlin Wall stood for 27 long years and with its fall so was the Cold War decided. The European Union formed as an economic alliance and the U.N. succeeds where the League of Nations failed. Europe has had attacks by al-Qaeda and ISIS centered in London and Paris while helping the U.S. in its antiterrorist stance. This just the cliffsnotes version and plenty left out. What events in European History interest you? It has been an increasingly interesting topic for me to read about since teaching it. I also use some of these and watch it for fun linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtMsMTfmRomkVQG8AqrAmJFX
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://youtu.be/oWWLECJnylM

Here is an interesting look at the evolution of the continent.

Perhaps some of you from Europe wish to further your own country in the thread.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:30 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

North America

Here is a similar map with North America (including Central America, the Caribbean and Northern South America). It is much more paceful, especially from the late 1860's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IKcS4DlaTw
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is there a certain European country's history that stands out to you or a period of history in the continent? Differences in the Christmas traditions or general holiday celebrations?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:39 AM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Does Russia counts as Europe?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Does Russia counts as Europe?
It has land in both Europe and Asia so it is both a European country and an Asian country. Most of the inhabited land of Russia is in Europe despite it being just around 77% of its population lives in European Russia, while the 23% lives in its Asian part. The Ural Mountains serve as a separation of the continents. In it's time since Kiev Rus it has interacted much more with Europe than with Asia due to the physical boundaries. Westernization of Peter the Great emphasizes this.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It has land in both Europe and Asia so it is both a European country and an Asian country. Most of the inhabited land of Russia is in Europe despite it being just around 77% of its population lives in European Russia, while the 23% lives in its Asian part. The Ural Mountains serve as a separation of the continents. In it's time since Kiev Rus it has interacted much more with Europe than with Asia due to the physical boundaries. Westernization of Peter the Great emphasizes this.
I've just asked a question...
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I've just asked a question...
You got the historian's response. Yes, it is both a European country and Asian country.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So much of 1450 to 1945 is is dictated by western Europe and Eastern Europe gets overlooked. Most of the content taught in schools and universities confirm this. What is overlooked or should be covered in Eastern Europe?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Here is an interesting question: If The Ottomans failed to conquer Rome ( Constantinople) then the rest of Europe would not have been avoiding them to get to trade ports in India. Thus inadvertently discovering the two American continents. So by the 2nd fall of the Roman Empire the Americas were discovered. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Sumac
Banned

I more interested in possibility of Vikings colonizing Americas.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I more interested in possibility of Vikings colonizing Americas.
Another "What If?" or rather "Why did they not record their discoveries outside of the sneaky naming of Greenland and Iceland?".
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
So much of 1450 to 1945 is is dictated by western Europe and Eastern Europe gets overlooked. Most of the content taught in schools and universities confirm this. What is overlooked or should be covered in Eastern Europe?
Russian involvement in World War 2 has always been passed over in American classrooms. We just hear about American actions and everyone just "helped" us out.

Meanwhile, all sorts of stuff was happening in the East. Russia was a major political and military power and I'd love to know more about the shift from Tsarist Russia to Soviet rule. And from there, support for Soviet movements around the globe. Possible Russian involvement in the Korean War. Russia in Afghanistan isn't talked about much in US classrooms. (I suppose that's because the US ended up arming a bunch of future terrorists.)

I've lived in and seen countries affected by this, and it's always blown my mind how a cult of personality can grow so powerful. How something billed as more freedom can turn into. . . well, that.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

European posters and non-European posters, a question, would you say that Alfred The Great in 871 founded what we call England today or does England not exist until his grandson, Ethelstan in 927?
Old 06-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Russian involvement in World War 2 has always been passed over in American classrooms. We just hear about American actions and everyone just "helped" us out.

Meanwhile, all sorts of stuff was happening in the East. Russia was a major political and military power and I'd love to know more about the shift from Tsarist Russia to Soviet rule. And from there, support for Soviet movements around the globe. Possible Russian involvement in the Korean War. Russia in Afghanistan isn't talked about much in US classrooms. (I suppose that's because the US ended up arming a bunch of future terrorists.)

I've lived in and seen countries affected by this, and it's always blown my mind how a cult of personality can grow so powerful. How something billed as more freedom can turn into. . . well, that.
Kind of weird considering the Russians effectively ended the war in europe, ain't it? Admittedly, being Swedish a lot of my own formal education became about how weird it became for Sweden with the combination of neutrality and a weak army, but it never tried to focus on one particular country that much. In terms of America involvement, the only part worth mentioning according to the Swedish curriculum was... Uhm... You know, the really horrible thing...

Quote:
European posters and non-European posters, a question, would you say that Alfred The Great in 871 founded what we call England today or does England not exist until his grandson, Ethelstan in 927?
The formation of a state or country can be a bit of difficult thing to define. Technically speaking Germany as we know it is only 30 years old. The first official unification was 150 years ago. The Holy Roman Empire contained essentially all of what we now know as Germany 1220 years ago. The Germania region was a classification as far back as 50 BC. So is Germany 30, 150, 1220 or 2070 years old? Hard to tell, but in the strictest sense it is only 30 years old, even if a language and culture that would become modern German was around for a much longer time. And let's not even get into when proto-germanic became distinct from the other indo-european languages or when it started to develop into distinctly German.

As for England... When did the Germanic speaking peoples outnumber the Celts in the region?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Kind of weird considering the Russians effectively ended the war in europe, ain't it? Admittedly, being Swedish a lot of my own formal education became about how weird it became for Sweden with the combination of neutrality and a weak army, but it never tried to focus on one particular country that much. In terms of America involvement, the only part worth mentioning according to the Swedish curriculum was... Uhm... You know, the really horrible thing...

The formation of a state or country can be a bit of difficult thing to define. Technically speaking Germany as we know it is only 30 years old. The first official unification was 150 years ago. The Holy Roman Empire contained essentially all of what we now know as Germany 1220 years ago. The Germania region was a classification as far back as 50 BC. So is Germany 30, 150, 1220 or 2070 years old? Hard to tell, but in the strictest sense it is only 30 years old, even if a language and culture that would become modern German was around for a much longer time. And let's not even get into when proto-germanic became distinct from the other indo-european languages or when it started to develop into distinctly German.

As for England... When did the Germanic speaking peoples outnumber the Celts in the region?
410 C.E. Roman occupation ended and by 500 C.E. a wave of settlers meant to protect Brittons turned on them and took their land. This is where the Aurtharian legend comes from.

I do get your point. I know Hugh Capet officially founds France as we know it but it traces back to Charles Martel who could be claimed by Germany too around 725 in the Battle of Tours. Yet France could be said with its most recent restructuring in 1958. Every country is arguable I suppose from U.S.A. to Egypt.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #17
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Is there a certain European country's history that stands out to you or a period of history in the continent? Differences in the Christmas traditions or general holiday celebrations?
Serbia never gets any positive mentions in western media,but their history is pretty fascinating.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Another thing I wondered was what kick started the friendship of bitter rivals with Britain and France? They hated each other ever since William of Normandy took his vassal land with him when he forced his claim of the English throne in 1066 all the way up to the point of Waterloo when Britain and Prussia removed Napoleon for good.

Also, how much of Gaul is France? Seems to be almost exactly the same historically.