The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Playtonic removed Jontron from Yooka-Laylee.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...m-yooka-laylee
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

And nothing of value was lost.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

I thought you weren't going to continue making controversial sociopolitical threads. Guess I'm a fool.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

News already covered throughout this week that belongs in the video game section even if dead.

In terms of actual discussion, there's really nothing to say. Jon Jafari, or Jontron, made offensive remarks and was removed from the game by Playtonic. People are still up in arms with wanting Jon out of any game that has his likeness though, World of Warcraft being one a friend brought to my attention. Compared to those annoyances, he's already accepted the reasoning and understands. There's really nothing to it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

I love Jontron. Dude's awesome. Sucks that he's removed over opinions.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

JonTron stopped being enjoyable to me in 2015. Bit of a bummer that he'll be replaced, that would have been a fun treat.
Playtonic isn't giving any Kickstarter refunds over this issue, which I find rather suspect, but I don't know how Kickstarter politics work. Company could be well in their rights to deny such in this situation.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Good. He shouldn't be congratulated for saying racist things.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #8
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Playtonic isn't giving any Kickstarter refunds over this issue, which I find rather suspect, but I don't know how Kickstarter politics work. Company could be well in their rights to deny such in this situation.
Kickstarter isn't a pre-order shop, it's a way to help fund a project. The project is going ahead and being delivered. There's nothing at issue here. I can't see why refunds should be given for a project that is proceeding according to KS rules and isn't in jeopardy. If you want a refund just because JonTron isn't on board any more, or because you object to the company removing him due to highly dubious spouted views, maybe you need to look at yourself instead.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
In terms of actual discussion, there's really nothing to say. Jon Jafari, or Jontron, made offensive remarks and was removed from the game by Playtonic.
Literally all there is to it. And if a well-known actor said the same things Jafari said, they'd suffer professional consequences for it too. This is just how this stuff works.

I get that "Internet Personalities" think they're just nobodies or outsiders, but anyone with millions of followers is a celebrity in some sense. And most celebrities have the sense to have a PR person or something like it to help them navigate the complicated public life they've chosen.

JonTron ain't Brad Pitt, but he's not a "nobody" either. He's actively worked to become well-known and influential in his area. He's got no reason to play naive here, or play the victim -- this kind of thing comes with the territory. But like a lot of the people he plays to buy into the idea that "freedom of speech" means freedom from consequences, he seems to believe his own fame and platform should come without scrutiny. It doesn't work that way.

Maybe he'll learn from this. I kinda doubt it, but I still hope he does.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

I had completely forgotten JonTron existed. I watched some of his videos back in 2013 or so. they were fine for what they were but a lot of his humour felt a bit forced/cheesy.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I had completely forgotten JonTron existed. I watched some of his videos back in 2013 or so. they were fine for what they were but a lot of his humour felt a bit forced/cheesy.
I watched his stuff years ago but lost interest at some point, long before all this mess. I dunno, I feel like he kinda got surpassed by other VG critics/comedians in the past few years, in content if not necessarily in popularity. There are a lot of people doing it better now. IMO, at least.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I watched his stuff years ago but lost interest at some point, long before all this mess. I dunno, I feel like he kinda got surpassed by other VG critics/comedians in the past few years, in content if not necessarily in popularity. There are a lot of people doing it better now. IMO, at least.
I only care about AVGN as far as gaming comedians go.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Good. He shouldn't be congratulated for saying racist things.
Yup. I really hate the whole "but they were just making a joke!" argument. Like, go **** yourself
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yup. I really hate the whole "but they were just making a joke!" argument. Like, go **** yourself
Unless the racist jokes are towards a white guy. Then the world agrees

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This is why things like that should be kept to yourself.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
If you look at his channel now you'll see that for some reason he's been taking very long breaks in between videos (which I stopped watching in 2015). Today there's less of a focus on video games and he just does a video on whatever the heck he wants. I think he's going through a phase that lots of artists do where they want to say goodbye to their former style of work and tackle something new. Suffice to say he's not as good as he used to be.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Many of those youtube gamers eventually faded away. Some have survived such as Spoony One and Irate Gamer(sadly), but others have just quit(Armake). That being said, JonTron is quite big with over 3M subscribers. That's more than Cinemassacre has, even.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:29 AM   #18
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Many of those youtube gamers eventually faded away. Some have survived such as Spoony One and Irate Gamer(sadly), but others have just quit(Armake). That being said, JonTron is quite big with over 3M subscribers. That's more than Cinemassacre has, even.
Eh, Spoony is pretty done. he hasn't made a review since last year's February and last Counter Monkey was in Novemver. And his Patreon is below $1000, even hardcore fans are catching on that he's dwindling down.

All he do is the Livewire stuff, and Spoony isn't all that funny on the fly.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote