The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Could Mortu be the King of the Utroms?

Since the Utrom council is named after chess pieces, I find it odd that King is missing. Kraang Subprime was originally Knight and its never suggested that Kraang Prime was originally named King, rather he was called just Kraang.

Knowing this, do you think its possible that Mortu is infact the King? He's the only Utrom I can think of to fill this role since he was also CEO of TCRI in the 2003 series.

In the upcoming Words Collide special, the Kraang are going to appear but I don't think it will be possible to introduce Mortu due to that special's focus on the Salamandrians as the main characters alongside the turtles. However, I do hope that the one unknown Arc will be an epic battle of the turtles, mortu and the utrom council, possibly a few good triceratons all defeating the Kraang once and for all. It could even be the show's season finale since the series began with the turtles fighting the Kraang.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-10-2017 at 05:57 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Someone on here had said that the Utrom King had died (I would assume murdered by Knight). That being said, I doubt Mortu would be rehashed for this part.

All things considered, he really wouldn't have had a strong role in Utrom society - since he is a Captain afterall, which would probably be a Dime A Dozen role. He may have been a leader to the Utroms on Earth, but not to the whole of the civilization.

(And I still think Mortu is a dumb name)

Kraang Prime seems to have just been a scientist without any direct power over the council as well - but probably wanted over-arching power because of course he would.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 06-10-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I had asked Brandon Auman over Face Book if Kurtzman could be King. After all it would make some sense for him to be an utrom, because he is rather knowledgeable about the Kraang for someone who claims to have only discovered them the previous year. And while investigative reporters are thorough even they aren't that good.

However, Auman answered with "Nope, King died years ago." This statement was made August 02 2016.

It's not confirmed how he died, or if Sub Prime or Kraang Prime was behind it. But it is confirmed officially by one of the executive staff of the show that King is deceased.

Last edited by victory_angel; 06-11-2017 at 01:20 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I hope they'll cover how that happened before the series ends; there isn't really much left in it.

(I've also just realized that this is probably my 2000th post???)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 06-11-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Well, I guess it makes sense to have King dead since it explains the Kraang uprising and King would've appeared alongside Queen in season 4 if he was alive.

It still doesn't negate the possibility that he's Mortu though. In the upcoming episodes, they could show him through flashbacks and maybe give him an episode through time travel to the past, where the turtles meet him, but unfortunately aren't able to save him and must continue on their final battle against the Kraang in the present.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-11-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Mortu did not cross my mind, by all implication in the 2003 series, he wasn't anything other than a cop.

What did cross my mind was Ch'rell. Shredder is dead, the position of Foot Clan leader is in dispute, the original leader had impossible skills, his face was never shown like it had to be kept a secret, he somehow made a helmet that didn't fall apart in 1500 years, etc. Quite unusual for a human, no?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It could even be the show's season finale since the series began with the turtles fighting the Kraang.
I hope the last will give us some great some echo back to the first episode, just like how the empty Technodrome on Balaraphon in "Divid and Conquer" of the 1987-1996 series gives an echo back to the first season.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think that Knight/SubPrime fills the Ch'rell role, so there's no need for that.

And yeah, Mortu is essentially just a cop; I never thought of it that way, but it's pretty accurate. Kurtzman would probably be closer to "Mortu" should he be an Utrom, acting as an undercover police detective for them.

King will probably be his own character, like Queen and Rook (for the most part).
Old 06-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

It makes sense that King is dead and my guess is that Sub-Prime killed him.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Mortu did not cross my mind, by all implication in the 2003 series, he wasn't anything other than a cop.

What did cross my mind was Ch'rell. Shredder is dead, the position of Foot Clan leader is in dispute, the original leader had impossible skills, his face was never shown like it had to be kept a secret, he somehow made a helmet that didn't fall apart in 1500 years, etc. Quite unusual for a human, no?
I do agree that Ch'rell is much more like a king. The only thing keeping him from being the king of the utroms is that he's evil while Mortus good. From all the good Utroms I know in the 2k3 series, the only one who I think would've fit as King in the Nick show was Mortu who was the only Utrom in a position of leadership(even if it was just as a cop).
Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

No, not really. He may have had positions of extreme power (a duke, for example), but that by no means makes him a ruler. It's more likely that he was a regular civilian Utrom that was dealt a very, very, very, very bad hand in his early life who found that power was the only thing that made him happy, and then the only way for him to make his way in the world was to literally murder to get to power.

The Utroms seem to live by an oligarchy pretty consistently, with a council of various sizes (large in Mirage, small in Nick), so a true monarchy probably isn't likely, even with the Nick Utroms having individuals named King and Queen (whose relationship I hope will be detailed). And even when they had an Emperor in IDW, the council stayed active.

The Nick Utrom leaders seem to share power and debate over decisions. Though, it's the most experienced of them that finalizes the decisions.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm not saying Chrell was a king, I just think he is more like a king figure than Mortu since he had so much power.

If either one was revealed to be revealed as King through flashbacks though, I would definetly pick Mortu since he's a good guy and I liked his portrayal in the 2k3 series. That, and I wouldn't have such a major character like Chrell be reduced to a flashback character while Mortu was never a major character In the 2k3 series, appearing in less than 10 episodes from what I remember.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Or maybe that is Bishops beef with the Salamandrians. In the preview for season five there is one point where Bishop says "Salamandrian's are forbidden in this Galaxy." To Mona and Sal.

And in the recent previews, we saw Newtralizer attacking the Utroms. And the impression we were given he doesn't discriminate between the Kraang and the Utroms.

So maybe in the past, Newtralizer may have been the one who killed King. And even though the Salamandrians did assist in the war with the Kraang, they were still responsible for the death of their leader.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Or maybe that is Bishops beef with the Salamandrians. In the preview for season five there is one point where Bishop says "Salamandrian's are forbidden in this Galaxy." To Mona and Sal.
It's probably "When Worlds Collide"
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Timmetry
Hench Mutant

You all write Ch'rell off as being king because he's a bad guy. Who's to say that the Utroms didn't rise up and kill the king themselves? The Kraang can be the remnants of his reign. Because of the power and evil that he held, the Utroms have decided to rule without a monarch, keeping their titles but ruling as a council.
Timmetry is offline   Reply With Quote