The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How do you feel about JRPGs?

JRPGs seem to be quite popular. Everyone who is into video games has heard and/or played Pokémon or Final Fantasy at some point in their lives. And then there's also other notorious ones that have received critical acclaim such as most Mario RPGs, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden and Golden Sun.

My experience with JRPGs is rather limited compared to many others out there, which some might find odd considering I'm an anime fan and anime fans usually LOVE JRPGs. The only Final Fantasy game I've played was X and never finished it. I got bored in the first Golden Sun game as well. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was fun, though. Pokémon is fun as well in general.

The thing about JRPGs to me is grinding. The most boring part of pokémon games are the earliest part of games until the 2nd gym or so when you have about 10-15 Pokémon only and gotta level them up in several CPU battles for them to reach level 10-15 so that you don't get creamed in Gym battles.

FFX didn't require much grinding iirc though. Usually it never took me more than one or two tries to put an end to a boss.

But it's not just grinding since not every JRPGs requires much of that. What I really don't like is how it's turn based and you don't do all the cool stuff. You just give orders to your party and then they do a cool and/or flashy move. And it's annoying as hell when you gotta go somewhere or go back a bit and keep getting into battles with random enemies every 5-6 seconds. And escaping isn't always an option. I guess I'd rather, you know, actual do cool moves myself then just sit back and order the characters to do them.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote