The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The end of TMNT Universe?

So just skimming through Spengler's blog post about the recent issue of Universe, and apparently it's being cancelled? And it 'wasn't surprising?'

This might have been mentioned elsewhere, but how did this not get its own thread? So what happened?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

It did:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60003

And the short answer to why it isn't surprising, is just the sales numbers. It sold less than 8000 copies per month, so it got canned.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Dang, I guess people didn't care much about the side characters... not that the comic ever really had some adventures with JUST the side characters. Those mini back up stories were ok, but let's see an issue about Slash doing something, or Karai, or one of Nobody and Angel's missions. Expand the universe without being forced to add one of the Turtles in it all the time.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Dang, I guess people didn't care much about the side characters... not that the comic ever really had some adventures with JUST the side characters. Those mini back up stories were ok, but let's see an issue about Slash doing something, or Karai, or one of Nobody and Angel's missions. Expand the universe without being forced to add one of the Turtles in it all the time.
Eh, it's not really that. The sales numbers for the minis tended to vary a lot more. I think the problem wasn't side-characters, I think the problem is that is was marketed as one series, rather than a successor to the minis.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Turtles are actually in a good chunk of Universe issues, it has nothing to do with that. It's most likely the $5 price tag plus casual fans only following the ongoing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hmm... I could see "TMNT: End of the Universe" as a future mini-series title.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I hope this doesn't affect the overall sales of the main TMNT book.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

I’m not too sad to see this title go. I didn’t buy any of them except the Karai’s path storyline.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Universe stories were no different than all the mini's and micros we got, and they all progress the story.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

But I never thought it necessary to get them for me to be able to enjoy the main book. I don’t even have all the micros and minis.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStyles View Post
But I never thought it necessary to get them for me to be able to enjoy the main book. I don’t even have all the micros and minis.
Did you read Secret History of the Foot Clan at least? The entire series is pretty much based around what it introduces.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
You've missed out HARDCORE. The side material is often times even better than the main issues, IMO.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Did you read Secret History of the Foot Clan at least? The entire series is pretty much based around what it introduces.
Yes, I’ve read and own that one.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't understand how some people can skip any of the tie-ins or mini-series... so much good stuff.

You're missing out, amigo!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

Perhaps I am missing out. I waited until the TPB for the first micros for the turtles. I didn’t read villains or the second micro aside from the Splinter one. I was already spending money On one turtles book among a couple of other things.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Perhaps I am missing out. I waited until the TPB for the first micros for the turtles. I didn’t read villains or the second micro aside from the Splinter one. I was already spending money On one turtles book among a couple of other things.
Definitely check out the first and third TPBs for Universe; some very good and important stories in that one, involving Bishop and Karai, respectively.

You also don't want to miss Mutanimals or Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, or Turtles in Time...
Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't understand how some people can skip any of the tie-ins or mini-series... so much good stuff.

You're missing out, amigo!
Well, I guess most of them aren't that necessary to understand the main plot? Unless Renet and Savanti start showing up in the main series without explaination, it isn't that necessary to read In Time or Destroy Everything.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I would say almost all of the side stories are required reading. The micros all provided character development, and the villain micros were especially important during city fall, as they had most of the developments that actually flesh out the motivations and characters of the villains, as well as several crucial plot developments. Secret History provided a ton of background lore and set up several plot points, as did Utrom Empire. Casey and April, even if it kind sucked, set up one of the Pantheon members, Mutanimals set up Null, Dimension X set up several characters for #75, and Universe set up a ton of characters and plots that will begin to show up in the main book in the near future. The only ones I'd say you could skip are Turtles in Time and BARDE, but, as mentioned earlier, if Renet and Bebop and Rocksteady ever start to show up in the main book again, those stories are gonna be important. It may not seem necessary now, but once people like Dreadmon or evil Metalhead start showing up again, anyone who hasn't read the side stories is gonna be wondering who the heck and how the heck any of these people are.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well, I guess most of them aren't that necessary to understand the main plot? Unless Renet and Savanti start showing up in the main series without explaination, it isn't that necessary to read In Time or Destroy Everything.
The thing is almost everything IDW introduces returns, making almost every issue important. The only filler issue I could think of in Universe aside from those Triceraton backstory issues is probably the Wyrm issue, since Wyrm just seems like a one-shot character who won't return.

Everything else comes back into play. You can't say the Dreadmon issue is filler because it introduces those 4 human/mutant characters who work for Null, and they and Dreadmon will likely show up again for example.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I would say almost all of the side stories are required reading. The micros all provided character development, and the villain micros were especially important during city fall, as they had most of the developments that actually flesh out the motivations and characters of the villains, as well as several crucial plot developments. Secret History provided a ton of background lore and set up several plot points, as did Utrom Empire. Casey and April, even if it kind sucked, set up one of the Pantheon members, Mutanimals set up Null, Dimension X set up several characters for #75, and Universe set up a ton of characters and plots that will begin to show up in the main book in the near future. The only ones I'd say you could skip are Turtles in Time and BARDE, but, as mentioned earlier, if Renet and Bebop and Rocksteady ever start to show up in the main book again, those stories are gonna be important. It may not seem necessary now, but once people like Dreadmon or evil Metalhead start showing up again, anyone who hasn't read the side stories is gonna be wondering who the heck and how the heck any of these people are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The thing is almost everything IDW introduces returns, making almost every issue important. The only filler issue I could think of in Universe aside from those Triceraton backstory issues is probably the Wyrm issue, since Wyrm just seems like a one-shot character who won't return.

Everything else comes back into play. You can't say the Dreadmon issue is filler because it introduces those 4 human/mutant characters who work for Null, and they and Dreadmon will likely show up again for example.
Sure but when characters do come back, they tend to kind of get "new" introductions if you will. Pay attention and you'll notice it. Don't get me wrong, reading the side stuff is still a good idea, it's just not as important as it may seem on first glance.
Hahahaha!