The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #61
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I guess everyone had Mario, since it came with the NES.
Yep. It's the game that introduced me to games. I was 4 in 1986 and my auntie had just gotten this thing that she wanted us to see. So she called my mom and we all live on the same 40 acre farm so my mom walked us over to their house across the hill and I walked in the living room and saw my uncle playing the first level and that moment is seared in to my mind until this very day. I will never forget it. I've been a Mario fan ever since and can't tell you how many times I've played through that game since. I remember when 2 came out but my true happiness was when 3 came out. It was like time stood still for every kid that loved games. It's still my favorite game to this day and Dark Souls and Sons of Liberty are the only two games that have ever even came close to it for me. It's just an all time masterpiece.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #62
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We've never owned the original MK game but my brother had it loaned to him a couple of times. At the time I had no idea I was looking at a censored game. Then he got MK3 and I saw MK in its full splendor. But we were pissed it didn't have Scorpion, so Cyrax became our favourite character for being yellow like him. Fortunately UMK3 fixed that... but we had that for the Saturn with long loading times
I had a Genesis and a SNES but I had MK on the Genesis because it actually had blood. I was a huge MK fan back then but loved Street Fighter as well but now I pretty much can't stand MK but have maintained my love of Street Fighter and just think it's a vastly deeper experience and contains much more substance than it does just style. I remember Capcom went completely crazy releasing newer versions of SF2 and me and my buddies would still get them and play the crap out of them. SF2 holds up to this day as maybe the greatest pure fighting game ever made.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #63
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I miss the days when most people were down to play fighters. But since online gamign became a thing and people saw how hard it was to become good at a fighting game and that you have to lose A LOT of matches, they just said "screw this". So whenever I ask someone who isn't much into fighting games if they'd like to play a SF bout or two they're always like "no, you've been playing that game since you were little and thus are a master at it. I can even barely remember how to throw a hadouken."
Yeah sadly the online community of gamers has just descended in to this pathetic swamp infested with casual gamers that only want to play genero fps games and hide in corners camping and shooting people as they run by and then acting like they're legit. They're not. I had TONS of fun with SF4 though and it had a pretty good community for the most part on XBOX Live. A few spammers but other than that most people really tried to play the game right as opposed to just doing the same move over and over.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #64
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I had a Genesis and a SNES but I had MK on the Genesis because it actually had blood. I was a huge MK fan back then but loved Street Fighter as well but now I pretty much can't stand MK but have maintained my love of Street Fighter and just think it's a vastly deeper experience and contains much more substance than it does just style. I remember Capcom went completely crazy releasing newer versions of SF2 and me and my buddies would still get them and play the crap out of them. SF2 holds up to this day as maybe the greatest pure fighting game ever made.
Those updated versions of SF were needed to improve the game for the competitive fighting scene. But yes Capcom doing business with SFIV as if we were back in the early 90s was kinda silly, even though vanilla Sagat was too strong. I also don't like how they nerfed Cammy in Ultra.

Eh I dunno. Super Turbo is fun and all but I'd rather play 3rd Strike or Ultra SFIV competitively.

Well MK is for people who don't like fighting games in general, usually. Although I heard MKX is pretty hard. But yes the only selling point of older MK titles was the blood and fatalities and such. They kinda play like sh*t in comparison to SF, KOF, Tekken, VF and SC.

Which reminds me, Virtua Fighter 2 was pretty big for its time but clearly the franchise wasn't able to stay relevant.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #65
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Those updated versions of SF were needed to improve the game for the competitive fighting scene. But yes Capcom doing business with SFIV as if we were back in the early 90s was kinda silly, even though vanilla Sagat was too strong. I also don't like how they nerfed Cammy in Ultra.

Eh I dunno. Super Turbo is fun and all but I'd rather play 3rd Strike or Ultra SFIV competitively.

Well MK is for people who don't like fighting games in general, usually. Although I heard MKX is pretty hard. But yes the only selling point of older MK titles was the blood and fatalities and such. They kinda play like sh*t in comparison to SF, KOF, Tekken, VF and SC.

Which reminds me, Virtua Fighter 2 was pretty big for its time but clearly the franchise wasn't able to stay relevant.
I agree about Ultra SF4. It's the best version of the game I think. It's true that back in the day fighting games were super popular. Primal Rage was another one that was really cool back then but hasn't stuck around. A lot of the reason that fighting games were so huge then was because arcades still existed. When MK2 came out my buddy's mom took us and another friend to Wal Mart where they had a machine of it and we spent $28 in quarters that night just playing that game over and over! LOL! Then my buddy got it actually a little bit early and called to brag about it when it came out on Genesis and I literally begged my mom to take me over to his house and we played that thing until our fingers almost bled. It was a true phenomenon at the time. I appreciate what it has done for games as a whole but on its own it really doesn't hold up well.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #66
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I agree about Ultra SF4. It's the best version of the game I think. It's true that back in the day fighting games were super popular. Primal Rage was another one that was really cool back then but hasn't stuck around. A lot of the reason that fighting games were so huge then was because arcades still existed. When MK2 came out my buddy's mom took us and another friend to Wal Mart where they had a machine of it and we spent $28 in quarters that night just playing that game over and over! LOL! Then my buddy got it actually a little bit early and called to brag about it when it came out on Genesis and I literally begged my mom to take me over to his house and we played that thing until our fingers almost bled. It was a true phenomenon at the time. I appreciate what it has done for games as a whole but on its own it really doesn't hold up well.
Online gaming is a great way to play fighters online, though... but it seems it's mostly SF that has good netcode. People prefer to play KOF games on Fightcade than, let's say, on Steam since Fightcade has better netcode.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #67
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Online gaming is a great way to play fighters online, though... but it seems it's mostly SF that has good netcode. People prefer to play KOF games on Fightcade than, let's say, on Steam since Fightcade has better netcode.
Yeah lag is a pain on there. Online gaming is still pretty much in its infancy though. I mean I know it has been around for a long time but there are still probably astounding advancements that are coming.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #68
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah lag is a pain on there. Online gaming is still pretty much in its infancy though. I mean I know it has been around for a long time but there are still probably astounding advancements that are coming.
The first console to do it right was Xbox 360.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #69
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The first console to do it right was Xbox 360.
I agree one million percent. XBL is still the online gaming gold standard for me. XB1's interface isn't as good in my opinion but I have a kinect and that makes things a lot less murky. You're totally right about 360 though. I've had every system though and so I'm not coming at it from a blind fanboy hatred either. I've actually experienced each one extensively.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #70
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
No, not at all. Never heard a debate like that. Then again we don't have serial killers or school shootings here, so it's not like it's easy to use games as scapesgoating. Wrestling and DBZ have gotten more flack by the media. As did a couple of crappy teen dramas.

I don't think the anti-video game lobby is very strong in Europe overall.
In Sweden, they weren't so afraid of school massacres, but ordinary violence was blamed for videogames. Usually fighting videogames like Mortal Kombat, Streetfighter and Tekken were considered too violent for children.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote