The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Any reasons April didn't have physical Utrom traits?

You know, tentacles, fangs, weird pupils, that sort of thing. Is there a reason she had none of them even though she was a human-utrom hybrid? And I'm talking in-universe reasons, not real world factors, she obviously had to pass for human early on in the series and I doubt marketing liked the idea of her sprouting tentacles later on. Still, is there a logical reason her only Utrom trait is the ESP?`

Alternative side-question, how would you have felt if she was the subject of the more typical Utrom twist? I.e. simply just an Utrom with the human appearance just being a facade in the form android body?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It would be like when Irma was revealed and the fanbase was insistent that some upcoming episode would reveal what happened to 'the real Irma' but multipled by twenty.

People would have liked that about as much as they liked the idea of her being a drawing, which is not at all.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It really would have been a more interesting twist if she'd increasingly developed alien traits as time went on. (You know, like those countless movies where some teenage girl finds out she's part mermaid and apparently a part of puberty means becoming one. lol)

But lets be honest... the entertainment industry tends to be picky about how women are represented. The one that's not pretty or less pretty is usually only the annoying, often nerdy friend or side character. Even in other franchises, human-like aliens are more often than not still going to be pretty and often even more human-looking than their male counterparts. Same reason even anthro female chracters are given human traits. Slowly turning April more grotesque... well that's just gonna go too far past that mold, isn't it. lol But it would have been interesting to see.

April being an Utrom/Kraang the way that version of Irma was? I suppose they could have done it, but it would have fundamentally changed the entire arc.

Edit: And now I can't get the horrifying image out of my mind of the top of April's head splitting open and out comes that "Mohawk" of... whatever those antenna/tentacle things are that come out of the Kraang heads. Though that show did like its share of body horror, it might have suited it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-04-2023 at 03:58 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It would be like when Irma was revealed and the fanbase was insistent that some upcoming episode would reveal what happened to 'the real Irma' but multipled by twenty.
Well there was a "real" Irma of sorts... Who was another Utrom... You think that was meant to be a middle finger to anyone who went on about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It really would have been a more interesting twist if she'd increasingly developed alien traits as time went on. (You know, like those countless movies where some teenage girl finds out she's part mermaid and apparently a part of puberty means becoming one. lol)
That's a new one to me, the closest I can think of Shadow over Innsmouth.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Because both her parents were humans? Why would she get any Utrom traits? Whatever experiments they did on her mother gave her those telepathic powers the Kraang had, and that was basically the extent of it. If April's parents were both humans how could she get Utrom tentacles?

Also unless I'm remembering wrong, this also all happened before April was born so her mother was pregnant at the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Because both her parents were humans? Why would she get any Utrom traits? Whatever experiments they did on her mother gave her those telepathic powers the Kraang had, and that was basically the extent of it. If April's parents were both humans how could she get Utrom tentacles?

Also unless I'm remembering wrong, this also all happened before April was born so her mother was pregnant at the time.
Analysis of April's DNA revealed she was a human-utrom hybrid, the speculation around this made it seem like she was no different from any other mutant in the series, most of who had clear, physically manifested hybrid traits.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #7
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I always assumed it was because she wasn't a true "hybrid," in the sense of having half of her DNA come from a human and the other half come from an Utrom. She had two human parents, and was for the most part a "normal" human. Her being "half utrom" would be more accurately stated as "has utrom DNA." The utroms experimented with her, and messed around with her DNA to give to essentially give her the psychic powers without any outward physical traits. Most of the Utrom characteristics would be internal, and because TMNT has always operated under the principle of lego genetics, such a thing is actually feasable in this universe, while it would not be in the real world.

And, let's be honest, the Doyalist reason is because it served as a vehicle to give her psychic powers, and messing with character's signature looks almost never goes over well. Since it would ultimately be cosmetic, and people wouldn't like the change, there's really no reason to do it.

And I imagine making her an actual Utrom would probably go over about as well as it did when 2003 Shredder was first revealed to be an Utrom, even if people are ultimately okay with that now.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Imagine if Kirby O'Neil actually mated with a female Kraang, now THAT would be something. I doubt the censors would even allow Ciro to get away with that and we know April's mother was a normal human. After she died they made that weird clone of her we saw in Season 3.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:36 PM   #9
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Imagine if Kirby O'Neil actually mated with a female Kraang, now THAT would be something.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

At this point I'm just grateful April was white in this show. I get the feeling this will be the last white April we get for a long time. Obviously the IDW comics are still going but that April debuted in 2011 so she technically pre-dates Nick 2012 April, even if IDW is still going while this show is over.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #11
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
At this point I'm just grateful April was white in this show. I get the feeling this will be the last white April we get for a long time. Obviously the IDW comics are still going but that April debuted in 2011 so she technically pre-dates Nick 2012 April, even if IDW is still going while this show is over.
Yikes. God forbid there's one less white person in a story
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

April being white is just who she is, I have no problem adding black characters. After all Baxter Stockman and Bebop are black! And Xever is from Brazil so he's "kind of" black. Well close enough, anyway.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:10 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

How do you do it, huh? I make a thread asking why April didn't have tentacles, and you somehow make it even more awkward than I intended?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-07-2023, 09:47 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well it just so happened the new trailer for the movie happened to drop shortly after this thread was made. And this is how I roll.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:19 AM   #15
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I think it would have been better if April had been part Neutrino. Such as in Four Turtles and a baby, Donatello conveniently happens to know that Neutrino Babies have psychic powers that fade out over time.

So wouldn't it have been better to make April associated with Dimension X or the Kraang by saying Tribble had been sent to live on Earth by her parents to protect her from Kraang prime who was wanting the Neutrino royal family arrested and executed. Tribble is raised on earth by a human family, meets Kirby and gets married to him. When April is born and starts to develop her psychic sensitivity, Tribble explains her origin. Instead of being weirded out Kirby wants to protect their daughter. The Kraang learns of April being a human/Dimension X hybrid and wants to apprehend her for their own uses. Resulting in Trib sacrificing herself so her husband and daughter can escape.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:08 AM   #16
sdp
-

As we know April is a Black woman and always was from the original MIRAGE comics as we've all been made aware recently from the influx of racists claiming she's white. But why was 2012 April white? I mean this was 2012 not the boomer 80s or even 2003 era, how was it allowed to whitewash this character for the first Viacom show (This IMHO taints the legacy of the Viacom TMNT era). why couldn't we get a black woman as April for the PD movies? It's entirely unacceptable and we should rally on this. Let's create a hashtag #nomorewhitewashingapril.
Thank god she'll never be white again or skinny (for you fatphobes you can be fat and be entirely healthy lol even healthier than those fatphobes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As we know April is a Black woman and always was from the original MIRAGE comics as we've all been made aware recently from the influx of racists claiming she's white. But why was 2012 April white? I mean this was 2012 not the boomer 80s or even 2003 era, how was it allowed to whitewash this character for the first Viacom show (This IMHO taints the legacy of the Viacom TMNT era). why couldn't we get a black woman as April for the PD movies? It's entirely unacceptable and we should rally on this. Let's create a hashtag #nomorewhitewashingapril.
Thank god she'll never be white again or skinny (for you fatphobes you can be fat and be entirely healthy lol even healthier than those fatphobes.
Troll post. April was never black, not even in Mirage.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #18
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
I’ll bet you’re the type who would call Eric July “racist” for disagreeing with you on that one. And since I’m not exactly a slim jim myself, am I fatphobic for not liking April’s chubby new design?

Let me guess…

“Yes!”
Old 03-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
Sir5R
Banned

Quote:
D@mn troll. Mirage April was NAMED after Eastman's girlfriend. Big difference. April is white. Baxter is black.

Also, being fat is unhealthy and thats why thats a problem. 87 Turtles white washed Baxter and that bothered me being a Mirage fan of the Real Baxter Stockman.
Sir5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:57 AM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I just realized, that even if the Mirage comics were black and white... April was never 'colored in' the way Baxter was, and they were side by side in her first appearance. So there goes that theory.