AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

TMNT #64 Preview & Discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I am LOVING that page with the four Turtles, Splinter, and Angel leading the charge of the Foot ninja.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I am LOVING that page with the four Turtles, Splinter, and Angel leading the charge of the Foot ninja.
Yeah, that's pretty bad ass

This looks like it'll be an exciting issue. I wonder what they're referring to when they say "long-lasting story shift". If TMNTU is any indication, maybe the main story will focus on Bishop and the EPF? Or possibly Old Hob and the Mutanimals and their first meeting with Leatherhead? Or maybe back to the Pantheon?? Or maybe the Utroms and Triceratons??? Or something else????
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
old_hob88
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, that's pretty bad ass

This looks like it'll be an exciting issue. I wonder what they're referring to when they say "long-lasting story shift". If TMNTU is any indication, maybe the main story will focus on Bishop and the EPF? Or possibly Old Hob and the Mutanimals and their first meeting with Leatherhead? Or maybe back to the Pantheon?? Or maybe the Utroms and Triceratons??? Or something else????
I'm thinking the turtles are going to separate from the foot and splinter after this. Splinter is gonna have Jennika kill Dunn and all 4 of them are going to leave like Mikey did after 50
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_hob88 View Post
I'm thinking the turtles are going to separate from the foot and splinter after this. Splinter is gonna have Jennika kill Dunn and all 4 of them are going to leave like Mikey did after 50
Sir! You share my exact same theory for the outcome of this issue and story arc! I am REQUIRED to now buy you a beer and toast your intellectual cunning.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Greetings all,

I actually dropped off this book around issue #52. While I love a lot about this book, it's been hit or miss for me and I decided to walk away for a while and possibly catch up later on.

Would love to hear some opinions on the last year or so of the book.
I'm generally a fan of this book from a conceptual standpoint. The reincarnation angle was really fresh and intruiging.
The longform storytelling is also a treat and a rarity in general when it comes to comics these days.

On the other hand, the dialogue usually doesn't gel with me and there sometimes feels like a lack of danger or stakes. Thing's like brainwashing as a catalyst for drama("Dark Leo") and death coming off as weightless(Donatello's "death" and immediate return) are also critiques I have.

That said, I have 100% respect for the creators behind the book, because I realize they are working within guidelines given by the owners of the property.

What say you, Technodrome?

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-18-2016 at 11:26 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The next issues after January are probably going to be The Great "f*** you, dad!"

They probably won't separate from each other, but it's a question of where they'll all stay. Probably in the old lair that Michelangelo cleaned up. Or Harold- possibly with Libby. Straight from (deliberate?) no kids to four teenage boys .

My personal issue with it is that its slow burn takes way too long, and there are some elements of the characters that just aren't totally rounded off. I think about this with Krang a lot. He spends years protecting his species in stasis, and when one of them dies from having its Ooze stolen, he withdraws into thinking his Rock Soldier assuming he was helpless and thinks about when he stopped being bratty teenager??? No showing of outrage that he failed one individual so close to the end? I've always thought it was a little off that it was never spoken of again. Maybe it'll come up when we go back to Burnow Island.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-18-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Greetings all,

I actually dropped off this book around issue #52. While I love a lot about this book, it's been hit or miss for me and I decided to walk away for a while and possibly catch up later on.

I'm generally a fan of this book from a conceptual standpoint. The reincarnation angle was really fresh and intruiging.
The longform storytelling is also a treat and a rarity in general when it comes to comics these days.

On the other hand, the dialogue usually doesn't gel with me and there sometimes feels like a lack of danger or stakes. Thing's like brainwashing as a catalyst for drama("Dark Leo") and death coming off as weightless(Donatello's "death" and immediate return) are also critiques I have.

That said, I have 100% respect for the creators behind the book, because I realize they are working within guidelines given by the owners of the property.

Well, you're missing Splinter running the Foot Clan and a widening gulf between him and the Turtles.

You're also missing Agent Bishop FINALLY being introduced into IDW (and he is great), Leatherhead and a murder mystery, AND the next big story arc after this current arc will be (99% sure) Mutanimals versus Bishop.

So yeah. Get back on the bandwagon, boyo!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Greetings all,

Yes, you've missed out on some greatness. I kinda envy that you'll be able to binge-read the last year or of issues if you so choose
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I will freely admit a lot of these stories read MUCH better in trade format. The monthly grind is appalling at times.

Feels like FOREVER since #63 came out.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since post issue 50 the best story was the Utroms/Leatherhead arc in the middle, as well as Mikey's moment with Hob and the Mutanimals.

I must admit the current arc with Darius/Phantoms/Harold, etc. has been dragging for a while since the set-up started since issue #51, but this seems to be the last issue of it so far. The best part of it is Splinter possibly going mad with power over his control over the Foot Clan and keeping secrets from the Turtles.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I will freely admit a lot of these stories read MUCH better in trade format. The monthly grind is appalling at times.

Feels like FOREVER since #63 came out.
Its the two weeks between #62 and #63 then four weeks between #63 and #64 that caused it.

Also, the theory you expressed was my theory first!

Don't forget the one-shot Michelangelo vs Wyrm!
Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Its the two weeks between #62 and #63 then four weeks between #63 and #64 that caused it.

Also, the theory you expressed was my theory first!

Don't forget the one-shot Michelangelo vs Wyrm!
I think a few of us all agreed on that theory. Beers all 'round!

And yeah... I'm more excited for the Leatherhead versus Hob issue, but more curious about the Michelangelo versus Wyrm issue.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

And yeah... I'm more excited for the Leatherhead versus Hob issue, but more curious about the Michelangelo versus Wyrm issue.
I am excited for all three TMNT books!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

We really need Bishop in the main ongoing soon. I hope its one of the next big story arcs.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

I'm wondering now if Libby is the one who might get Jennikilled by mistake since her arguing with Harold in that mech suit sure looks menacing...
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #17
old_hob88
Foot Soldier

Quote:

Cheers!

I've really been digging universe too. I'm in the same boat, cuz the hob/leatherhead story with Dialynas art is gonna be awesome but I'm curious about IDW Wyrm and everything about him. It just seems to be a kind of out of left field character to introduce. Should be fun though
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone.

splinter keeping secrets from the turtles sounds pretty juicy, but if he's being brainwashed I'm totally out.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

splinter keeping secrets from the turtles sounds pretty juicy, but if he's being brainwashed I'm totally out.
No he is not, he is completely making all these choices on his own.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_hob88 View Post
I've really been digging universe too. I'm in the same boat, cuz the hob/leatherhead story with Dialynas art is gonna be awesome but I'm curious about IDW Wyrm and everything about him. It just seems to be a kind of out of left field character to introduce. Should be fun though
My guess is Wyrm is just a fun one-off "filler mutant" similar to how the cartoons just introduce a random mutant for no reason sometimes. Nothing wrong with that, could be a fun story. And who knows, he may become important later on too.

Tags
ban shredder orokusaki