The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Marvel Comics buying the TMNT-franchise?

Because of all talking about this in threads, I start a new thread to discuss the topic about the possibilities of Marvel Comics buying the TMNT, and fan opinons about it.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Trust me, you don't want that to happen, IDW or another publisher who isn't one of the big two buying TMNT is a far better scenario for the brand. Here's what would happen if Marvel bought TMNT the way they are now:

Marvel starts publishing a TMNT series, unless it sells over 20 000 a month it gets cancelled, they might give another try but will most likely just split up the characters for various team books, the writers eventually get bored of using them, for the next couple of decades we'll just get reprints, eventually they might try it again. On the flipside, if it is really successful under Marvel, then they'll start to involve them in hard to follow crossover events, retcon stuff to fit in with the movie branding and give them a soulless garbage cartoon that just exist to promote the movies (ugh).

In short, the TMNT will either get neglected or overexposed to the point of being almost pointless to follow.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I think you nailed it. They either become obscure side-characters or shoved down our throats like Wolverine and Iron Man.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Marvel" doesn't buy anything anymore. It'd be a Disney acquisition.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

And that's the end of that
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'd rather they just have a license to visit some of these other brands, like they've already done a little of, rather than live there and get overshadowed.

For the fun of it, I kinda wish there would be crossover movies with them. Put them in a Guardians of the Galaxy 3; it's outer space and alien stuff, the Turtles are good at that! (Not to mention Guardians and TMNT 2014 instead of one eating the other alive kinda teamed up to guard the top two box office spots from anyone else getting past them - they make a good team! )
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT comics tend not to sell that well. IDW TMNT comics only average around 16,000-18,000 copies for most issues.

Contrary to what people here think, TMNT has always been seen more as a cartoon franchise than comic franchise. Far more people watch the Nick cartoon than read the IDW comics for example.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT comics tend not to sell that well. IDW TMNT comics only average around 16,000-18,000 copies for most issues.

Contrary to what people here think, TMNT has always been seen more as a cartoon franchise than comic franchise.
Not really contrary. Even if the Mirage Comics came first, a lot of people who came here around 15 years ago thought the same. I always knew TMNT was a comic book first, but of course I misstook it for Archie Comics back then until I rediscovered TMNT in late-2003 (sometime before Christmas) and early-2004.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

A resounding "NO!"
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

DC/WB would probably be a more likely option since they already have a working relationship with IDW and have done two crossovers with the Turtles - not to mention WB owning New Line and having distributed the 2007 film, and having almost had a cartoon of their own before 4Kids' entry.

But it's probably staying put for the time being.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
They would have to wrest it from Viacom/Nickelodeon's grip first.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

People who want Disney/Marvel or WB to buy TMNT would probably wind up regretting it in a few years.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
They would have to wrest it from Viacom/Nickelodeon's grip first.....
Alright, let's propose a somewhat more realistic scenario. What if Viacom bought IDW or another publisher? Alternatively, what if IDW was bought by one of Viacom's rivals?
Hahahaha!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Alternatively, what if IDW was bought by one of Viacom's rivals?
Well that's awkward. What power does IDW (or rather its new owner in that scenario) have vs Viacom? Would Viacom possibly be able to remove it from IDW/whoever and publish elsewhere?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
Overlord

Quote:
Trust me, you don't want that to happen, IDW or another publisher who isn't one of the big two buying TMNT is a far better scenario for the brand. Here's what would happen if Marvel bought TMNT the way they are now:
I just took it up for discussion because it seemed to flood other threads. I have no personal opinion about it yet. But I definately don't want the TMNT to be directly owned and controlled by the Walt Disney Studio.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I recall making a thread similar to this but now that I think of it, it'd be a terrible purchase. They could possibly make a good TMNT movie but their tone that they use for their films is definitely not the direction I want for a TMNT film. I have not been a fan of some of their recent comics. I have no interest in their recent cartoons after the Disney buyouts. As neatoman says, I do not want TMNT to get the same type of exposure the Marvel superheroes get. I'd rather they get bought by WB/DC and I'm still iffy on that one as well.

Quote:

Marvel starts publishing a TMNT series, unless it sells over 20 000 a month it gets cancelled, they might give another try but will most likely just split up the characters for various team books, the writers eventually get bored of using them, for the next couple of decades we'll just get reprints, eventually they might try it again. On the flipside, if it is really successful under Marvel, then they'll start to involve them in hard to follow crossover events, retcon stuff to fit in with the movie branding and give them a soulless garbage cartoon that just exist to promote the movies (ugh).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QQGnESrEv1...9099954408.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7B2N0jHO1D...9101955214.gif

In short, the TMNT will either get neglected or overexposed to the point of being almost pointless to follow.
And WB/DC?

Quote:

Contrary to what people here think, TMNT has always been seen more as a cartoon franchise than comic franchise. Far more people watch the Nick cartoon than read the IDW comics for example.
To be fair, couldn't you also say that for most of DC and Marvel's properties?

Quote:
People who want Disney/Marvel or WB to buy TMNT would probably wind up regretting it in a few years.
Definitely agree.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most people still recognize superheroes as comic book franchises first and then movies/cartoons second. For example everyone knows Batman and Spiderman started in comic books, nobody thinks cartoons/movies came first.

With TMNT it's a bit different. While your casual fan probably is aware there were comics before the cartoons, they're just not going to think of it.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
With TMNT it's a bit different. While your casual fan probably is aware there were comics before the cartoons, they're just not going to think of it.
But if they know any TMNT comics, it's easy to assume that a comic book usually predates a cartoon.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The only problem is I kinda don't want to see them integrated into the Marvel or DC Universes. Don't forget both companies every other month have some sort of the stupid event that will effect the TMNT regardless of what would be going on in their own book. Like who's side will the Turtles takes in the next Civil War? Which Turtle will join the X-Men or the Guardians of the Galaxy? The next time Darkseid comes around, which Turtle will be standing on the front lines alongside the Justice League? Nonsense.

And then we're gonna get Crises and whatnot that will reset the Turtles every other year just so they coincide with the rest of the universe.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
And WB/DC?
In terms of comics it would be similar, except Batman and Superman would overshadow the Turtles. Oh, and arbitrarily selected stories from both Mirage and IDW would both be part of the canon regardless of how little sense that makes, then after a few years this arbitrary selection would be changed again.

In terms of cartoons they would generally be good, but chances are that they would either be relegated to guest appearences in Batman/Superman/JLA shows rather have their own.

In terms of movies... Well... WB have traditionally not been very interested in making movies of DC's comics until recently. when they have it's been rather selective. The vast majority either feature Batman and Superman or are based on their direct spin-offs. If DC got a hold of TMNT now it's likely it wouldn't be considered core DC enough.
Hahahaha!