The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #101
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Movie was fine but I'm really disappointed in the storyline Ridley decided to carry over from Prometheus. What a waste of everything else they set up. I'm more interested in the events between Prometheus and Covenant.

I have no clue how they're going to tie this back to LV-426.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #102
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Movie was fine but I'm really disappointed in the storyline Ridley decided to carry over from Prometheus. What a waste of everything else they set up. I'm more interested in the events between Prometheus and Covenant.
Apparently that's the next movie. An in-between-prequel.

Quote:
I have no clue how they're going to tie this back to LV-426.
It sounds like they muddy it up even worse than before. From Prometheus we could figure out sort of what happened. Now? Now there would either need to be a story where an Engineer gets facehugged and boards a Juggernaut and takes off and crashes on LV-426 (only now that's messier... LV-223 was right next to LV-426 in the same star system but the Covenant planet is many systems away) for the ship and its Engineer to fossilize in the mere 10 years between Covenant and Alien... OR, a story of how David didn't actually create the Alien, he only RE-created it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #103
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The movie was cool but the kung-fu fight between the two Fassbenders felt weird.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #104
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Saw it today, It was good, that ending though.
Spoiler:
When Walter turned out to be David.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #105
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw Alien: Covenant. Wow, that was bad. It's like every mistake in Prometheus wasn't learned from, but rather expanded upon. I didn't love Prometheus but I was okay with it as long as we were getting the big meet-the-Engineers movie next as the ending promised... but 5 years of waiting and we get 0 of that. Not even a little bit. And now the link to Alien 1 is even less clear than it was before.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #106
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Man this article pisses me off. Details what the original concept for the Prometheus sequel was.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-o...-prometheus-2/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #107
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Man this article pisses me off. Details what the original concept for the Prometheus sequel was.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-o...-prometheus-2/
Yeah, that is frustratingly annoying.
But you know what's WORSE? They went in and freaking CGI'd over all the practical effects right before release! All that amazing work ****ing WASTED!!! They made it all look like crap when it could've looked great!
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #108
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Saw it today, It was good, that ending though.
Spoiler:
When Walter turned out to be David.
I refuse to accept that there would be anyone who didn't see that coming.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #109
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Why do sci-fi writers assume that robots will be immortal? There's no way a mechanical system as complex as David wouldn't break down in time, and he seems to be at least partially organic, so what makes him immune to decay?

I don't even buy the idea that his brain would work indefinitely. Have you tried to read a floppy disk lately? Half of them don't work anymore.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #110
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Why do sci-fi writers assume that robots will be immortal? There's no way a mechanical system as complex as David wouldn't break down in time, and he seems to be at least partially organic, so what makes him immune to decay?

I don't even buy the idea that his brain would work indefinitely. Have you tried to read a floppy disk lately? Half of them don't work anymore.
They could have been made a real Coen Brothers ending...

I can see it now...

Spoiler:
David is touring all the sleeping passengers of the Covenant,
humming his tune... then drops dead. The equivalent of an android stroke. Bam. End credits.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #111
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They could have been made a real Coen Brothers ending...

I can see it now...

Spoiler:
David is touring all the sleeping passengers of the Covenant,
humming his tune... then drops dead. The equivalent of an android stroke. Bam. End credits.
I like it, but imagine how angry everyone would be.

When I saw No Country for Old Men, the movie ended, credits came up, then from the back of the theater this guy just blurted out "what the f***?!" I don't think he was trying to be obnoxious, he just got caught up in the moment. It was piss funny!

Last edited by ProactiveMan; 05-25-2017 at 09:04 AM.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #112
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Saw the movie through......unscrupulous means.
It wasn't that bad. Sure it had its flaws, but overall I still liked it.
The main problem I had was that the pacing was weird. A lot of scenes were too short and could've been expanded on, leaving the film feeling like it had a small runtime.
The creature designs were splendid, even though I'm still miffed they ruined the practical effects.
Neomorph could've gotten more screen time, but I understand why it didn't.
Not a lot of new stand-out characters, but that's to be expected.

Overall I liked it. It was better than Resurrection.
Wouldn't mind watching this movie again in the near future.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #113
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Good or bad, all Ridley has successfully done with Covenant is ensure there won't be another Alien movie for the foreseeable future, possibly ever. Covenant has officially bombed hard. It won't even close at half of what Prometheus did, and that movie just barely spawned a halfway sequel. He just "Out of the Shadows"ed the whole franchise, single-handedly.

One thing is certain: we will never, ever see David's further adventures on Origae-6.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #114
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Good or bad, all Ridley has successfully done with Covenant is ensure there won't be another Alien movie for the foreseeable future, possibly ever. Covenant has officially bombed hard. It won't even close at half of what Prometheus did, and that movie just barely spawned a halfway sequel. He just "Out of the Shadows"ed the whole franchise, single-handedly.

One thing is certain: we will never, ever see David's further adventures on Origae-6.
Which is a shame considering we spent two whole movies meeting these characters just for no payoff. A third movie might've sunk the franchise even further and it almost definitely would've been on the same level of quality as Covenant, but I think any closure would be better than none.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The way I see it, best case... 8 years from now, there's new higher-ups at Fox. Maybe they do something like Blomkamp had in mind, or maybe they relaunch Alien vs. Predator in a bigger fashion. Or nothing at all.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #116
CyberCubed
Overlord

Between this and The Mummy flopping, there's been a lot of big bombs in 2017 so far. The new Pirates movie did poorly too I believe, but I guess it doesn't matter since it was probably going to be the last in the franchise anyway.

That said I'm surprised Kong: Skull Island did well, and they're probably fortunate it did. I really wonder how Blade Runner 2049 will do, they're probably praying Harrison Ford being there convinces people to see it. I know if Harrison Ford wasn't in the movie and it was just a reboot I wouldn't bother with it.

Think of all the other big 80's movie franchise reboots that bombed like Robocop, Total Recall, The Thing 2011, Ghostbusters, Terminator 5, etc.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 06-09-2017 at 01:33 AM.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #117
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The new Pirates movie did poorly too I believe, but I guess it doesn't matter since it was probably going to be the last in the franchise anyway.
I'm pretty sure they got wind of early test audience reactions and decided "Oh, this is gonna be a bomb... at least if we bill it as the FINAL Pirates movie, more people might see it."

Look, the spin is beginning:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/lindelof...lien-could-go/
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #118
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hey, if you guys want to see a ton of plants, check out the official Covenant Facebook page. Lots of "Best Alien movie ever!!! Except maybe Cameron's movie, that one is OK" just in time for the home release.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #120
Powder
So tired of this place

Just watched this. I really liked it, a lot. Would've liked a little bit more context for what happened between this & it predecessor, but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the overall thing. I didn't expect it to be so closely tied to Prometheus (I don't read up on stuff before I check it out) so I was pretty satisfied in that respect. Very cool.

The only aspects that I didn't enjoy were that it was fairly predictable, the creature CGI wasn't too great, & as Cure said, the little martial arts segment felt so out of place. I liked the horror film tropes despite how cliche they were, but boo at the shower scene.

Oh, & one thing that irks me a little about either of these films, is that they're the 2010's vision of the future. The set designs and stuff should have somewhat of a late 70's future aesthetic, to be a bit more visually consistent with the Alien films. That's a problem with a lot of modern prequels, IMO. They look cool as hell & all, but that change would go a long way for me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote