The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Nickelodeon streaming service

Well if yall wanna watch all your fave classic Nick Shows you can now do so for a price. Starting today Nickelodeon has their own streaming video service. It is available on Roku, fire tablets, Apple devices, Android devices, Xbox and others. Will be adding lots of shows in the future currently having Rocko's Modern Life, CatDog and other shows.

http://go.ign.com/OvyJEjg
Old 08-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Christ enough of the damn streaming services already. We have Hulu Amazon Prime Netflix DC Comics Disney HBO Showtime and Cinemax.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Christ enough of the damn streaming services already. We have Hulu Amazon Prime Netflix DC Comics Disney HBO Showtime and Cinemax.
That brings us to a very important question, is it really worth paying for more than one?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Indeed...its gonna get to a point where streaming services will beget a new cable tv...where you pay them for a bundle of the services...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Streaming services are the new cable TV company providers, I guess.

I guess Nick doesn't make a deal with already existing streaming services because they want to make an entire profit of the stuff they stream which are their own creations?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yes, streaming is the new cable, we're only going to see more and more of these services and each service will continue to have exclusives, we already have super niche streaming services like WWE Network. It's the reason Netflix got into the content game in the first place years ago, they saw companies were not giving them the licenses they used to so they got worried and started making their own catalog to be able to compete which has been a great strategy for them but bad news for us.

The reason Netflix got big is because it had everything but now that streaming has matured they're going to penny and dime us. It sucks, but we lived in the golden age of streaming and now everything will be scattered and you'll have to choose. What's the best strategy? I plan on only ever subscribing to 2 services, one that is "constant" and one that I change every month. For me right now, Netflix is the one that I'll always keep on since I can always find some movie I want to watch and I'll sub to a different one on a monthly basis, do I feel in the wrestling mood then WWE, do I want to watch superheroes? Then DC the next month, how about nostalgia wins me over? Nick. Oh I haven't subbed to Hulu in a year, I"ll check out all their original content next month. etc. Hell, I don't even watch that much TV so only one service I change monthly is fine by me, keeps the bill at around $10 every month and I enjoy a little of everything.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Yes, streaming is the new cable, we're only going to see more and more of these services and each service will continue to have exclusives, we already have super niche streaming services like WWE Network. It's the reason Netflix got into the content game in the first place years ago, they saw companies were not giving them the licenses they used to so they got worried and started making their own catalog to be able to compete which has been a great strategy for them but bad news for us.

The reason Netflix got big is because it had everything but now that streaming has matured they're going to penny and dime us. It sucks, but we lived in the golden age of streaming and now everything will be scattered and you'll have to choose. What's the best strategy? I plan on only ever subscribing to 2 services, one that is "constant" and one that I change every month. For me right now, Netflix is the one that I'll always keep on since I can always find some movie I want to watch and I'll sub to a different one on a monthly basis, do I feel in the wrestling mood then WWE, do I want to watch superheroes? Then DC the next month, how about nostalgia wins me over? Nick. Oh I haven't subbed to Hulu in a year, I"ll check out all their original content next month. etc. Hell, I don't even watch that much TV so only one service I change monthly is fine by me, keeps the bill at around $10 every month and I enjoy a little of everything.
So it seems like eventually people will go back to pirating tv shows again like they did in the previous decade?

Isn't there a trick people use with Netflix? Starting a free month trial and then cancelling it? Plus European countries don't get as much Netflix content as USA does, I think.

WWE Network seems like a waste of money considering you can easily find tons of the matches they have there scattered across places youtube and dailymotion still.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
WWE Network seems like a waste of money considering you can easily find tons of the matches they have there scattered across places youtube and dailymotion still.
Not really. A lot of the better stuff, you can only find in sh*tty quality. There's exceptions of course but for better or worse, the Network is the only place to consistently find content that doesn't look like an 8-generation VHS quality.

I don't really watch much, but my wife has it. If you watch wrestling at all more than once in a great while, it really does pay for itself. And I hate giving the 'E credit for anything at all. I was a skeptic for a long time but it's quite a good value, especially if you want to watch the big events every month, which are essentially free.

Plus they've been clamping down more and more on those unauthorized videos floating around, so there's that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Not really. A lot of the better stuff, you can only find in sh*tty quality. There's exceptions of course but for better or worse, the Network is the only place to consistently find content that doesn't look like an 8-generation VHS quality.

I don't really watch much, but my wife has it. If you watch wrestling at all more than once in a great while, it really does pay for itself. And I hate giving the 'E credit for anything at all. I was a skeptic for a long time but it's quite a good value, especially if you want to watch the big events every month, which are essentially free.

Plus they've been clamping down more and more on those unauthorized videos floating around, so there's that.
Not as much as they were some years ago. I remember around 2012-2014 being very hard to find WWE videos that weren't posted by their channel. They were cracking down on them really hard at the time.

It's also a it grating to find Attitude Era videos with mentions to "WWF" censored.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Indeed...its gonna get to a point where streaming services will beget a new cable tv...where you pay them for a bundle of the services...
This is exactly what I was thinking might happen eventually. Some company comes along just bundles every service or you select ones and you pay them.

Which would basically just be a traditional tv service where we pick “channels”.

I guess the OT won’t be on there right? Not that it matters since it’s available on DVD. 4kids could be.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
It's also a it grating to find Attitude Era videos with mentions to "WWF" censored.
Again you're talking about something you don't even know anything about, because they haven't been doing that for years.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Again you're talking about something you don't even know anything about, because they haven't been doing that for years.
I guess you finally gave up on Leo, eh?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Haha, sure. You can take it personally when someone tells you you're wrong, I guess. No one can admit it anymore.

Besides, I figure he embarrassed himself enough when he got banned.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Haha, sure. You can take it personally when someone tells you you're wrong, I guess. No one can admit it anymore.

Besides, I figure he embarrassed himself enough when he got banned.
Yeah what a colossal mistake I've made. Also, haven't really followed WWE in the last few years and a lot of videos on youtube are old and from censored times, so how could I guess? A little "actually, they don't do that anymore" and I'd have taken the hint just fine, but I guess you gotta fill in for your fallen brothers.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

If anything, I'm flattered that an esteemed Nickelodeon executive would take notice of little ol' me. One would think they'd have better things to do, but I guess not. Can anybody else here say they were punished by executive decree? I don't think so.

Don't be a rag. I know it's hard, but try.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah what a colossal mistake I've made. Also, haven't really followed WWE in the last few years and a lot of videos on youtube are old and from censored times, so how could I guess? A little "actually, they don't do that anymore" and I'd have taken the hint just fine, but I guess you gotta fill in for your fallen brothers.
They stopped censoring the WWF logo around the time the network started.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
They stopped censoring the WWF logo around the time the network started.
I guess they finally were able to settle a deal with the Pandamaniacs. Tbh why did they even get that lawsuit in the first place? It couldn't have been the only case in the world where two different companies/organisations had the same initials. And WWE was renamed World Wrestling Federation in 1979, so why did it take the Pandamaniacs several years to take them to court over the name? Or was it one of those cases that dragged on in court for ages?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I guess they finally were able to settle a deal with the Pandamaniacs. Tbh why did they even get that lawsuit in the first place? It couldn't have been the only case in the world where two different companies/organisations had the same initials. And WWE was renamed World Wrestling Federation in 1979, so why did it take the Pandamaniacs several years to take them to court over the name? Or was it one of those cases that dragged on in court for ages?
It's stupid and complicated, but the gist is, the "other" WWF, The World Wildlife Fund For Nature, are incredibly petty. The original agreement between Vince and them basically said that the wrestling company could only use the "WWF" initials in the United States, and in the rest of the world they'd have to refer to the company by its full name only, never its initials. That didn't matter to Vince in the 1980s because he only ever promoted outside the U.S. in Puerto Rico, where nothing matters anyway. By the early 1990s, they were running more tours in England and Australia, and frankly Vince wasn't overly concerned with the wildlife folks because business was high, so he started blatantly disregarding the agreement.

When the internet became a thing, the Fund people got their panties in a bunch, assuming that some little kid going online and searching "WWF" to read about zebras would accidentally run across pictures of Sable, or something. Pretty presumptuous on their part to assume that anyone in the entire world, anywhere, would ever get the two confused... or care about the Fund to begin with. But that was their grievance: That Vince had openly wiped his ass with their original agreement for many years, and now his "horrible" product was going to purposely divert attention and funds away from their wildlife preservation efforts. Or something.

It's no coincidence that they waited until public resentment towards the wrestling company was at all-time highs before bringing the matter to court and pushing for a verdict. You'll recall, this was when every kid who died falling down the stairs was supposedly a victim of "Imitating that TV rasslin", and Vince was getting sued from every single angle. At first, he was dismissive of the Fund's suit; by the time he took it seriously, they were already pretty much being forced to change their name. It was going to be more of a hassle to fight than Vince wanted, so he let the Pandas have their precious acronym.

All it really did was annoy the fans - most people my age still refer to it as "The WWF" and aren't going to change. Meanwhile, as much as I dismiss and dislike their product, WWE is the largest non-Disney entertainment product in the world, while nobody anywhere cares about the Fund For Nature people. or has even heard of them.

Short Answer: They had an agreement that said "You can be the WWF, but only sometimes." Vince said "Screw you, I'm rich" and it eventually caught up to him.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's stupid and complicated, but the gist is, the "other" WWF, The World Wildlife Fund For Nature, are incredibly petty. The original agreement between Vince and them basically said that the wrestling company could only use the "WWF" initials in the United States, and in the rest of the world they'd have to refer to the company by its full name only, never its initials. That didn't matter to Vince in the 1980s because he only ever promoted outside the U.S. in Puerto Rico, where nothing matters anyway. By the early 1990s, they were running more tours in England and Australia, and frankly Vince wasn't overly concerned with the wildlife folks because business was high, so he started blatantly disregarding the agreement.

When the internet became a thing, the Fund people got their panties in a bunch, assuming that some little kid going online and searching "WWF" to read about zebras would accidentally run across pictures of Sable, or something. Pretty presumptuous on their part to assume that anyone in the entire world, anywhere, would ever get the two confused... or care about the Fund to begin with. But that was their grievance: That Vince had openly wiped his ass with their original agreement for many years, and now his "horrible" product was going to purposely divert attention and funds away from their wildlife preservation efforts. Or something.

It's no coincidence that they waited until public resentment towards the wrestling company was at all-time highs before bringing the matter to court and pushing for a verdict. You'll recall, this was when every kid who died falling down the stairs was supposedly a victim of "Imitating that TV rasslin", and Vince was getting sued from every single angle. At first, he was dismissive of the Fund's suit; by the time he took it seriously, they were already pretty much being forced to change their name. It was going to be more of a hassle to fight than Vince wanted, so he let the Pandas have their precious acronym.

All it really did was annoy the fans - most people my age still refer to it as "The WWF" and aren't going to change. Meanwhile, as much as I dismiss and dislike their product, WWE is the largest non-Disney entertainment product in the world, while nobody anywhere cares about the Fund For Nature people. or has even heard of them.

Short Answer: They had an agreement that said "You can be the WWF, but only sometimes." Vince said "Screw you, I'm rich" and it eventually caught up to him.
Thanks for the explanation.

LOL as if kids would care enough about the World Wildllife Fund. I got nothing against pandas, they're cute bear-like creatures... but I've honestly had NEVER heard about the original WWF until I read about the lawsuit in 2005 or so. I began watching WWE in 2004, so it took me a while to find out they once were called WWF as well. And honestly, if the lawsuit had never taken place I doubt I'd have heard of the Pandamaniacs to this day still. Granted I'm not the most in touch person in the world... but are WWF even that relevant? When was the last time they got talked about on the news? I literally never heard about them ro read about them anywhere. And when I see someone on the internet type WWF... they're old wrestling fans who still think it's called WWF or just call it that otu of habit.

I think there was an Ali G sketch where he interviews some animal lovers and one of them mentions the WWF and he says smth along the lines of "The WWF?! What do they got to do with this? Is Hulk Hogan involved in this as well?!" just shows how nobody gives a rats ass about the Pandas

It was a public image thing, I bet. They wanted to be known as the one and only WWF... but the thing, WWE's rebranding actually worked out pretty well, I'd say. The Get the F Out slogan was kinda funny and tbh Vince seems to want to distance himself from the word wrestling as does his buddy Kevin Dunn, so now they can just admit to be called an entertainment type of business.

2002 was already 16 years ago and WWE has ventured into different markets since then, so that means many people aged 25 and under nowadays have only known it as WWE. But I can imagine it annoyed fans who grew up with it being called WWF. I guess the ones who grew up with it being called WWWF also found it a bit odd when it changed to WWF only.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #20
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Don’t like it don’t subscribe then.

I think it’s good, more healthy competition in the market. This is the future.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote