The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

TMNT International

How well have the TMNT done in the country where you live? Let's think of some questions:

Which year did TMNT hit your native country? Do you think the turtles were popular there?

Did the cartoons air over television? Which cartoons and what channels? If you don't live in an English-speaking country: Were the episodes dubbed, or were subtitles used instead? Do you know if home video releases were common?

What comics were published?

Was getting access to the toys and merchandise easy?

Were the films rated? Which ages?

Did you have to wait a long time between original releases and release in your home country?

How many years did the Turtlemania(s) last there? Were the cartoons and comics cancelled before the final episodes or issues?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 11-21-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I dunno about some of those questions (I was just 3 or 4 when the OT first aired in Ireland)(I was born in 1986), but I remember the Turtles being very popular here at the time until Power Rangers came out.

All tmnt cartoons have aired on Irish television. The 1987 cartoon was still regularly rerun on RTÉ Two from the mid 90s to the late 00s. ‘03 was aired from 2003 until around 2009 but, like in other countries, it was never as popular as the original toon, but all seasons except Ninja Tribunal were shown. Don’t remember when ‘12 started but all seasons have been shown up to season 4 so far. Rise hasn’t aired yet.

The TMHT comics came out in Ireland at the same time as the UK, but I don’t know about the others. Only read a few issues here and there, so I can’t really comment.

Getting toys and merchandise was easy enough (aside from the video games), even in 1995 when Turtle-Mania had nearly come to an end.

Didn’t pay much attention to the films at the time, so I can’t comment.

I didn’t know if there were going to be new episodes of ‘87 back in 1995, as RTE started repeating the entire series from the beginning in the summer of that year after showing the season 8 episode Enter: Krakus. It was a surprise to be able to watch two more seasons along with Turtle Trek when they were shown a few years later in 1998.

Home video releases were common alright.

I guess Tmnt has done well in Ireland. They’re still remembered as a cultural icon nearly two decades later.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-27-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Overlord

Sweden

Except some Mirage issues published in 1987, TMNT as a franchise first hit Sweden in August 1990, starting with the Archie comics Fred Wolf series.

Alll three cartoons aired (the first over TV3 Sweden and TV 1000 Sweden, the second over Cartoon Network Sweden and the third over Nickelodeon Sweden). All series have mostly been dubbed into Swedish, except seasons 4-5 of the Fred Wolf series. Not many Fred Wolf episodes were released to home videos, and the Fred Wolf series was even released to home video with a different dub.

Some Archie and Fleetway comics were published in Sweden, but far from all. A few Mirage comics have also been published. Dreamwave and IDW have also been published.

The most basic action figures, vehicles and bases have been released. Some other toys were also released, but many of the later toys in the original line flopped. To air toy advertisements in Sweden, you had to air from abroad (which TV 3 Sweden did, airing from the UK) the there were still many angry parents who believe it is a government responsibility rather than a parents' responsibility.

The 1990 film was rated 15, most of the other were rated 11.

Waiting was originally long, around 2-3 years for the cartoons and circa 6-12 months for Archie comics.

Fred Wolf Turtlemania lasted between 1990 and 1994-1995. I know seasons 1-5 and Vacation in Europe aired.

The 4 Kids wave lasted only a few years. I think only seasons 1-2 have been dubbed into Swedish (which is a scandal, poor children of Sweden, no John Bishop and no Triceraton attack on Earth. No showdown with Shredder and no Leonardo becoming Raphael.).

The Nickelodeon generation began in November 2012, with the Nickelodeon series first airing. Most of the merchandise died around mid-2014, but the series continued running until late-2017 or early 2018 and we didn't have to wait that long. I think it is the first TMNT series to have aired from the first to the final episode in Sweden.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
pferreira
Foot Elite

Which year did TMNT hit your native country? 1990 in the UK I think.

Do you think the turtles were popular there? Extremely popular, just like in the US.

Did the cartoons air over television? Yes and satellite channel Sky One.

Which cartoons and what channels? Not sure about the other cartoon shows but the FW series aired on CBBC (BBC1) as well as Sky One as part of The DJ Kat Show.

What comics were published? Fleetway's 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles' comic. The other iterations also had comics.

Was getting access to the toys and merchandise easy? Not always but at least something from TMNT was available.

Were the films rated? Which ages? Yep. The first four movies got a PG rating. The two PD movies got a 12 certificate. The first two movies were heavily edited to remove Mike's weapons. In 2003 all cuts were waived by the BBFC.

Did you have to wait a long time between original releases and release in your home country? When the first TMNT movie arrived on VHS the sequel was just released into cinemas in the US.

How many years did the Turtlemania(s) last there? Were the cartoons and comics cancelled before the final episodes or issues? Not sure about Fleetway's comic but the BBC only showed Season 2 and 3 of the FW series which is what most kids in the UK remember. Those lucky enough to have Sky One got to see the whole ten seasons eventually. At one point The DJ Kat Show would air an episode in the morning before school and one after school. Great memories!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Overlord

I had access to Sky 1 but then came a message: Sky 1 is going to be scrambled from 1 September 1993 and from that day I couldn't watch it from Sweden anymore.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I had access to Sky 1 but then came a message: Sky 1 is going to be scrambled from 1 September 1993 and from that day I couldn't watch it from Sweden anymore.
Yeah same with me. I moved house Feb 1993 but we put the house on lease so I was still able to visit to watch TV but then it all went.

Only channel in the UK to show every episode of TMNT even if they were edited for the 'Hero Turtles' version.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Which year did TMNT hit your native country? 1990 in the UK I think.
I think it's strange, when there is no need for dubbing. Especially reading that the series hit France by 1989 https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortue...27%C3%A9caille so it would make more sense if it hit the UK by 1988 or something.

Anyway, British Sky Channel almost got cult status among children in Sweden during the late-1980's and early-1990's. It was there you could watch MASK, Masters of the Universe, Transformers and other cool action-adventure cartoons of the time.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
newfan
Mad Scientist

Ah so this might be why I managed to miss the OT, all but a vague memory of catching some on regular TV.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
Overlord

Swedish public service SVT would probably never air TMNT, like British BBC did.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Swedish public service SVT would probably never air TMNT, like British BBC did.
No, it wouldn't. The show is probably classified as advertisement towards children, which is illegal to air from within the country. That's why a lot of cartoons only air from the UK.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

TMNT 2003 was shown in the UK from around 2003-2008 on Jetix and on CITV from 2003-2009. It has recently rearrived on Sky TV on Demand

All was shown aside from the Ninja Tribunal season (but the season 4 episode was shown), Mayhem from Mutant Island and Turtles Forever
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
No, it wouldn't. The show is probably classified as advertisement towards children, which is illegal to air from within the country. That's why a lot of cartoons only air from the UK.
I don't think it's just because of that law, as it wasn't adopted by the Swedish parliament until 1991.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/sw...eted-children/

SVT didn't air other similair action-adventure cartoons during the 1980's (like GI Joe, Masters of the Universe and Transformers). SVT in general are extremely anti-commercial.

Also, parents would complain over the series being "too violent".
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Mexico has made the latin-american dubs which at least the OT has iconic voices and is remembered fondly. It aired on national TV for a few years at least and apparently all if not most of the seasons were dubbed. The toys were available but not all of them for a few years, anime, Saint Seiya specifically cut Turtlemania short as Knights of the Zodiac/Saint Seiya was huge, DBZ huge, similarly Power Rangers mania was cut short there because of Dragon Ball. There was a TMNT comic that translated archie but eventually did its own stories and plenty of bootleg toys of the OT back in the day.

2k3 was also aired on national over the air apparently and has plenty of fans as well, unsure about toys. 2012 I'm guessing aired on Nickelodeon, not all waves were released and when waves were released it was weird batches where the stores would get tons of the same figures, didn't matter if they were common or hard to get in the US, not a lot of variety and they usually shelfwarmed, Rise toyline still hasn't arrived and i"d blame 2012, and the two PD movies shelfwarming. Turtles are generally liked by most people here and tons of memories from the OT, movies even 2k3 but i'd say people aren't as nostalgic for the turtles, as they are for other anime but turtlemania deifnitely existed. Anime has just been bigger in latin america for decades which means some american shows weren't as popular as they were in America where anime only hit big until the late 90s.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I think it's strange, when there is no need for dubbing. Especially reading that the series hit France by 1989 https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortue...27%C3%A9caille so it would make more sense if it hit the UK by 1988 or something.
Did a bit of research into BBC airings as part of after school as well as Going Live! and I can confirm it was definitely the beginning of 1990 when it first aired and as previously stated Season 2:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0...yt=1993#search

Judging by the air dates of Going Live! it seems then my first exposure to TMNT was repeats through this show:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0...00%3A00#search

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Ah so this might be why I managed to miss the OT, all but a vague memory of catching some on regular TV.
The FW series was shown through the BBC throughout the 90s perhaps up until 1996?
Old 11-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:

The FW series was shown through the BBC throughout the 90s perhaps up until 1996?
I caught a little on the BBC but couldn't remember when, if it didn't air until 1990 then it would have been around then/91 maybe, that may have been around the last of my toon years so that's why I wouldn't have watched much further on.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
Overlord

1988 and 1989

Quote:
I caught a little on the BBC but couldn't remember when, if it didn't air until 1990 then it would have been around then/91 maybe, that may have been around the last of my toon years so that's why I wouldn't have watched much further on.
I wouldn't be surprised if it hit Sky Channel already by 1988 and 1989.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Possibly, I don't know, I didn't have sky/cable until like 95.... 4 channels compared to show/movie access now

I know Wikipedia isn't always correct but I just reading up on all the editing, not only the word Ninja from the title but also whenever it was used in the show, then the issues with Mikey's weapon internationally causing a change in his signature weapon from season 3. When you think of what you see now.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
Overlord

My Brother, the Bad Guy

Quote:
Mikey's weapon internationally causing a change in his signature weapon from season 3..
It wasn't until season 5 (starting with "My Brother, the Bad Guy").
Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
BBC only ever showed Season 2 and 3 so it's unlikely you would have had a chance to see new episodes anyway.

Quote:
I don't think so. I believe they started being shown after the BBC started and they definitely started from Season 1 onwards because that's how I was able to see the first season.

Quote:
It wasn't until season 5 (starting with "My Brother, the Bad Guy").
He didn't have them in the CBS episodes of Season 4 from what I remember. Even in the new intro he doesn't have them, only the grappling hook.

Quote:
not only the word Ninja from the title but also whenever it was used in the show, then the issues with Mikey's weapon internationally causing a change in his signature weapon from season 3. When you think of what you see now.
The word ninja was rarely used in the cartoon, the biggest amount of editing done for the UK was reframing or replacing scenes so Mikey's weapons weren't seen in shot. Having said that Sky I remember was fairly lenient about showing it mostly uncut apart from the show title. The VHS releases depending on which you got were edited differently which is just plain weird. There really wasn't much consistency between edited versions shown on the BBC, Sky and what was on VHS.

I do always wonder however why other European countries censored the show like Germany. Did they have the 'ninja' ban as well?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #20
Overlord

The Dimension X Story

Quote:
He didn't have them in the CBS episodes of Season 4 from what I remember.
He uses them in the Technodrome laundry in "The Dimension X Story".