The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #981
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeNinja1987 View Post
I am sorry I like this movie, all right? Oh wait, I'm not.

I am a true fan of TMNT. They are my favorite thing in the world. I love almost all things TMNT, except Next Mutation (I do like the designs though...and yes, I'm expecting someone to say "Oh, that explains why you liked this movie's designs, then.."). Do not criticize me because I like something you do not. I truly loved all but 4 seconds of this movie and it will remain my 7th favorite movie for years, probably (and the original movie is about number 9 or 10).
This movie blew me away. This forum is pathetic. Anyone with anything positive to say gets stampeded.
Again, I loved this movie, and now that I've seen all the hate I'm guessing this fine movie won't get a sequel, but at least I'll have this one. I'll hold it close to my heart for years.
Yes, there are a few problems. Mikey has a creepy line. Leonardo doesn't get much focus. The part where Raph pops the bullets out is stupid (it's the four seconds I hate). But the hyper adrenaline turtles (I loved seeing Mikey just run in circles like a kid on a sugar rush), Donnie's "I'm the one that licks the frosting off the poptarts in the morning and puts them back in the box!" line are just pure gold. And to me, this movie has a lot of pure gold if you can look over the angry reviews and the little flaws.
Not everyone must have the same opinion. I defended this movie almost from the beginning (I was a massive hater until they weren't aliens anymore) and I'm glad I did.
Check out the bottom of my signature. Oh, and I'm going to keep those TMNT 2014 gifs for quite some time.
I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel. Most Bay movies get a lot of hate, but somehow still get sequels because the majority of people pay money to see them. I bet this new movie won't be any different.

If they had put more effort into making a cohesive story, I might have appreciated it more. But the whole thing feels like a corporate product. It reeks of studio tampering and a genuine misunderstanding of what the turtles are all about. That's fine if you liked it though. And I appreciate that you were still able to find some criticisms.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #982
Werecat
Hench Mutant

floydbanks7, I am convinced, from your replies, that you don't know an adequate amount of basic story structure and the purpose of critics. Now I am not expecting Shakespeare knowledge. But you are proving to be quite the hater of critics. All your posts are filled with replies that misread my context.

Quentin Tarantino does not create his own rules. Quentin follows the basic rules of storytelling quite well, which is why his films can reach critically acclaimed status. You misinterpreted his work.

I already explained in my post what the main protagonist treatment is; it is giving one character the chance to set up the whole story. Which is April. We see her first. We follow her reaction. We follow her story. Later the movie gets confused on who the main protagonist is, even though it clearly presented April as the main protagonist. We start following the turtles. Their reaction is filmed less than April's reaction. We follow their story but it is cut short by April. That is the subplot treatment. The movie provides a conclusion to the turtle's premise but forgets about April.

Overall the structure of the story is poorly assembled. The movie does have scenes and the notion of good storytelling but it is often ignored and poorly presented. If they just flipped who got the main protagonist treatment. If they just presented clearly that the turtles are the main protagonist. Followed their story and their actions/reactions early on. It probably would have got a better review.

For example the play scene when they were young was cut short by April. That play scene was vital to proper story structure. The movie needs to properly present the scene were the heroes develop a skill that is useful in combat against the antagonist. Another mistake was giving little emphasis on Raphael's dispute with his brothers. The movie screwed up on its chance. If it just expanded on those vital scenes and showed the turtles first, to allow them to set up the movie, then perhaps the movie would have gotten a decent review.

Edit: All my posts are just my opinion. Nowhere do I state it as fact. Your post has no facts either. It is just your opinion and your interpretation. People have different opinions and different interpretation skills.

Last edited by Werecat; 08-09-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Werecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #983
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiNinja89 View Post
Hey there, Mr. Butthurt...if you haven't noticed most of the positive reviews point out flaw and still end up liking the film. It's called being level-headed. It's the hater like you who are blind. "Worst movie ever! Ruined everything! Rarrahrah!!!!"

The positive reviews are far more reasonable than the negative.
I think it's because people who don't like the movie just can't find anything overly positive in it....or if they do, those moments don't last very long.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #984
snake
Disgusting

I saw it yesterday.

I absolutely hated it, it was every bit as bland, boring, and all around sh*tty as I though it would be. Seriously, the April Fox view-point was horrible and I honestly wanted to leave due to boredom when she was talking to sacks in his mansion.

Second, the turtles looked horrible. Raph looked horrible, Mikey looked horrible, Leo looked horrible, and Donnie looked horrible.

The film had no heart and the only bit of character development we got was Raphs speech.

Another problem with the movie was the constant shakey cam. I seriously got nauseous during the snow scene.

I did like some things though, I liked Raphs speech, Donnie was pretty cool, and Mikey's voice was spot on.

Worse then Next Mutation, worse then turtles 3 and worse then the Nick TMNT video game.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #985
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

To me it sounds like the people who have an issue with the cohesiveness of the stories that take place in the movie wanted more cohesiveness, I think anyone who thinks the movie completely lacks cohesiveness in that department (the story department) is completely wrong. When I saw the movie I didn't feel as if there was any shaky cam action going down.
ScrewtheMirageTMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #986
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiNinja89 View Post
Hey there, Mr. Butthurt...if you haven't noticed most of the positive reviews point out flaw and still end up liking the film. It's called being level-headed. It's the hater like you who are blind. "Worst movie ever! Ruined everything! Rarrahrah!!!!"

The positive reviews are far more reasonable than the negative.
I can pick out things I liked about it and I've mentioned them in some of my other posts, but there was too much bad that outweighed the good. I'm not blind to anything. I went into this movie as someone who had defended most of the changes they made to it and was willing to forgive most of the negatives that I had heard about. I even lowered my expectations after reading some of the reviews. Bottom line is, some people might love it because the turtles were in it and their personalities were there (in a very thin, non-developed sense), but in general, it just wasn't a good movie. I think most people were too distracted by their favorite turtles and the non-stop (ludicrous) action to notice.

If you want to know what I liked about it I'll tell you.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #987
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewtheMirageTMNT View Post
To me it sounds like the people who have an issue with the cohesiveness of the stories that take place in the movie wanted more cohesiveness, I think anyone who thinks the movie completely lacks cohesiveness in that department (the story department) is completely wrong. When I saw the movie I didn't feel as if there was any shaky cam action going down.
What? You noticed NO shaky cam in the movie?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #988
Lightjump
Thug

It was an okay movie in my book, not too great not too bad. I have quite a few nitpicks with it but a decent flick none the less. The designs I don't mind as much as some people here, but I do mind wasted characters like the Shredder and Karai, heck the foot clan was wasted. But besides my gripes, I did like the brother aspect of the film, and most of the turtle clan scenes were good in my book. So not a bad flick in all.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #989
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
What? You noticed NO shaky cam in the movie?
I wasn't taken out of the movie cause of it at any point.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #990
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Considering you named yourself "ScrewtheMirageTMNT" it's pretty obvious you wouldn't be effected by it.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #991
DonatelloFan1984
Hench Mutant

Quote:
This coming from the guy who joined the board last month and who's username is screwthemiragetmnt. Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #992
Hawkeye
Random Punk

Quote:
Considering you named yourself "ScrewtheMirageTMNT" it's pretty obvious you wouldn't be effected by it.
You have a picture from the 2007 movie... the worst TMNT movie out of 6. Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan1984 View Post
This coming from the guy who joined the board last month and who's username is screwthemiragetmnt. Wow. Just wow.
So because he/she joined the forum last month, they can't say the shaky cam didn't hurt the movie?

I only noticed the shaky cam in the first 5 minutes of the film when April was reporting.. the rest of the film was fine. Don't see the issue... but I only joined the forum this month, so I guess that opinion doesn't matter.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #993
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Listen, when I go watch a movie I don't go into it waiting for problems to pop up, I just sit there and watch the damn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan1984 View Post
Go **** yourself.

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #994
CombatColdCuts
Random Punk

Quote:
Really? That shaky cam when April was badgering that guy pissed me off. With the invention of the tripod many years ago they had no excuse for some guy to film that with a handi-cam. Some of the lighting was frustrating too. Maybe it was because I saw it at the drive-ins but I had a hard time seeing the fight scene in the sewer clearly. Also the mountain scene was cool but at times hard to follow because the camera was so shaky.
CombatColdCuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #995
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You have a picture from the 2007 movie... the worst TMNT movie out of 6. Who cares?

So because he/she joined the forum last month, they can't say the shaky cam didn't hurt the movie?

I only noticed the shaky cam in the first 5 minutes of the film when April was reporting.. the rest of the film was fine. Don't see the issue... but I only joined the forum this month, so I guess that opinion doesn't matter.
If you think 2007 is the worst, you're an idiot.

And then there's the fact that you think that TMNT has 6 movies.

Quote:
Listen, when I go watch a movie I don't go into it waiting for problems to pop up, I just sit there and watch the damn thing.
You hate the Nick cartoon don't you? This movie was aimed at people like you. Ones who don't care for the franchise whatsoever and only like the OT.

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: 2x posts
Old 08-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #996
DonatelloFan1984
Hench Mutant

Quote:

The influx of new members to this board is maddening. It is like this when a different team wins the superbowl every year. The "fans" come out in droves. They weren't there before that superbowl win I can tell you that. Although I was complaining about his time on the board, I didn't take as much issue with that as I did his username. When you are saying screw the Mirage TMNT, you obviously don't care about origins at that point, so you would be more inclined to enjoy the new movie. Besides just as you posted your opinions, I will post mine. You can say that the 07 movie (which I didn't all that much care for) was the worst. That is your opinion. You, however, are trying push it off as fact. Like I said before. Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #997
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

Quote:
You hate the Nick cartoon don't you? This movie was aimed at people like you. Ones who don't care for the franchise whatsoever and only like the OT.
I liked the 80s toon and the first tmnt movie. I don't mind the idw, image, or archie tmnt at this point. I ain't no blind tmnt fan. For the people who like the mirage tmnt good for them, it just isn't my cup of tea, it's as simple as that.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #998
Hawkeye
Random Punk

Quote:
If you think 2007 is the worst, you're an idiot.

And then there's the fact that you think that TMNT has 6 movies.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze(1991)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993)
TMNT (2007)
Turtles Forever (2009)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

That's.... six.

The 2007 movie was the worst.. might as well have called it Leonardo and Raphael. Donnie and Mikey had less of a role than April, Splinter, Casey, Karai, and Winters. They honestly didn't even need to be in the film.

Why did they need to capture 13 monsters? It took like 3 minutes of screen-time. Why not just 3 monsters so you can actually, you know, meet the monsters?

Either way, that doesn't mean TMNT was bad. I liked it. But it's easily the worst. Turtles III is the only comparable, but the one liners in that movie are just too good to pass on.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #999
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
I liked the 80s toon and the first tmnt movie. I don't mind the idw, image, or archie tmnt at this point.
What's so bad about the 2k3 show, or the Nick toon, or SOTO, or 2007? Or, most of all, Mirage? Seriously, what is your problem with Mirage?

Quote:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze(1991)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993)
TMNT (2007)
Turtles Forever (2009)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

That's.... six.

The 2007 movie was the worst.. might as well have called it Leonardo and Raphael. Donnie and Mikey had less of a role than April, Splinter, Casey, Karai, and Winters. They honestly didn't even need to be in the film.

Why did they need to capture 13 monsters? It took like 3 minutes of screen-time. Why not just 3 monsters so you can actually, you know, meet the monsters?

Either way, that doesn't mean TMNT was bad. I liked it. But it's easily the worst. Turtles III is the only comparable, but the one liners in that movie are just too good to pass on.
Turtles forever wasn't a theatrical release. I don't count it.

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: 2x posts
Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #1000
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

Quote:
What's so bad about the 2k3 show, or the Nick toon, or SOTO, or 2007? Or, most of all, Mirage? Seriously, what is your problem with Mirage?
They look like ass to me and I am not a fan of their tone.

Tags
reviews