The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2024, 03:12 PM   #4901
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I have not unboxed Splinter and Donnie (and, probably wont anytime soon) but I must say that Scumbug had the least amount of thought put into him.

Those attachments (those things that are supposed to attach from the backpack to the chest and guns) do not have a firm grip. Very frustrating. Now, my Scumbug will be displayed without his signature extermination gear. Sad.


Worst figure in the wave (okay, I'm being a little bit extra, I managed to get his backpack on with those thingies attached to the chest, I'm not going to bother attaching the gun).
put a very small amount of bluetak in the holes. That will help grip. Scumbug is awesome.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #4902
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,097
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #4903
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Reviewer's are calling Wingnut the best figure in the line and possible figure of the year, and the stupid "seam" (which IS sculpted in and not a separate piece) is not stopping them for saying so, nor are they even mentioning it.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:54 PM   #4904
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Reviewer's are calling Wingnut the best figure in the line and possible figure of the year, and the stupid "seam" (which IS sculpted in and not a separate piece) is not stopping them for saying so, nor are they even mentioning it.
Imagine getting all worked up over a seam! Outside of these forums nobody really cares but heck if a seam serves as psychological justification to save a few bucks, sure whatever works. I would rather straight up say I’m broke (as I skipped Genghis instead of saying something trivial like he’s over textured)
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #4905
ToSte
Hench Mutant
 
ToSte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 418
Y'all been arguing for like 3 pages...
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:51 PM   #4906
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Imagine getting all worked up over a seam! Outside of these forums nobody really cares but heck if a seam serves as psychological justification to save a few bucks, sure whatever works. I would rather straight up say I’m broke (as I skipped Genghis instead of saying something trivial like he’s over textured)
I never noticed the "seam" until the detail specialists came out and mentioned it ....Somehow the sculpt got messed up in final production and caused an indentation of sorts, but It's definately not a separate piece. That's been my whole arguement
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:56 PM   #4907
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Reviewer's are calling Wingnut the best figure in the line and possible figure of the year, and the stupid "seam" (which IS sculpted in and not a separate piece) is not stopping them for saying so, nor are they even mentioning it.
Further goes to show how TMNT + Batman = Gold

The scale on Wingnut is really nice

Last edited by Drose18; 02-19-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Drose18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:21 PM   #4908
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist
 
RaphaelinSTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,714
I do have to agree with italianice388, that nose seam line is really goofy looking compared to what they originally showed
__________________
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:47 AM   #4909
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I do have to agree with italianice388, that nose seam line is really goofy looking compared to what they originally showed
It's definitely incredibly noticeable, but it doesn't bother me a huge amount, personally. I think it's pretty dumb to bully anyone that has a problem with it, but I also think this is definitely the best figure they've done in this line.

To the gap itself, they probably could have mounted the nose a little more cleanly to disguise it better, but because the nose is a separate piece, the gap was always going to be there to some degree. I don't know the ins and outs of molds, but I assume it was cheaper or more structurally sound to do it this way.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #4910
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
It's definitely incredibly noticeable, but it doesn't bother me a huge amount, personally. I think it's pretty dumb to bully anyone that has a problem with it, but I also think this is definitely the best figure they've done in this line.

To the gap itself, they probably could have mounted the nose a little more cleanly to disguise it better, but because the nose is a separate piece, the gap was always going to be there to some degree. I don't know the ins and outs of molds, but I assume it was cheaper or more structurally sound to do it this way.
the nose is not a separate piece Put a pair of glasses on and put a flash light up to it. It's all ONE sculpt...the "seam" is also sculpted in.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #4911
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
the nose is not a separate piece Put a pair of glasses on and put a flash light up to it. It's all ONE sculpt...the "seam" is also sculpted in.
This is a very strange hill to choose to die on, but assuming what you say is true (that the nose and the head are, in fact, not two pieces but all just one), then why sculpt in the dividing line at all, to begin with? It wasn't in the renders nor the prototype, and aesthetically it doesn't make sense either, since the mask goes behind his nose and not over it.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:04 PM   #4912
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
This is a very strange hill to choose to die on, but assuming what you say is true (that the nose and the head are, in fact, not two pieces but all just one), then why sculpt in the dividing line at all, to begin with? It wasn't in the renders nor the prototype, and aesthetically it doesn't make sense either, since the mask goes behind his nose and not over it.
I have the F'ING figure. I'm not dying on anything. I don't know why a "seam" came through on the final sculpt like it did, but you can CLEARLY see that it's not a separate piece attached to the sculpt. If gives an appearance of it because of the sculpted details in that section and on the entire head, but It's all ONE sculpt.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #4913
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
This is a very strange hill to choose to die on, but assuming what you say is true (that the nose and the head are, in fact, not two pieces but all just one), then why sculpt in the dividing line at all, to begin with? It wasn't in the renders nor the prototype, and aesthetically it doesn't make sense either, since the mask goes behind his nose and not over it.
I think he's getting confused by the fact that you can see plastic in the gap, but that seems odd to me because the nose has to have plastic behind it to seat into. But more than that, at least on mine, you can see that that gap goes all the way around the nose.

On mine, the nose on the Batman head isn't actually glued in well, and you can see it separating from the face at the top of the mounting point below:

https://ibb.co/0h1q7b0

But even ignoring all of that, anyone who has the figure can take a look at the actual mold seams which are present across the center of the head, extending down along the front edge of the ears and then wrapping down under the chin. Because the nose is a separate piece, it has its own mold seam running up either side just behind the nostril and then wrapping back around the "bridge."

At any rate, that's why that gap exists, and I understand if it bothers anyone... it's just not something that bothers me, kind of in the same vein as Genghis's grenades.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:46 PM   #4914
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I think he's getting confused by the fact that you can see plastic in the gap, but that seems odd to me because the nose has to have plastic behind it to seat into. But more than that, at least on mine, you can see that that gap goes all the way around the nose.

On mine, the nose on the Batman head isn't actually glued in well, and you can see it separating from the face at the top of the mounting point below:

https://ibb.co/0h1q7b0

But even ignoring all of that, anyone who has the figure can take a look at the actual mold seams which are present across the center of the head, extending down along the front edge of the ears and then wrapping down under the chin. Because the nose is a separate piece, it has its own mold seam running up either side just behind the nostril and then wrapping back around the "bridge."

At any rate, that's why that gap exists, and I understand if it bothers anyone... it's just not something that bothers me, kind of in the same vein as Genghis's grenades.
Looking over mine again, You must have a dud/defect. Mine seem to be glued in so well that you can't even tell if there was even a separate piece (which obviously it's how it's supposed to be) That's why I was arguing that it doesn't seem like a separate piece at all. Even the seam is so snug that it literally looks like its part of the sculpt. I wish I could show you, as like all Super7 products though, mileage may vary
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #4915
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist
 
jestergoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,131
While not an Ultimates - Super Cyborg Krang has arrived and some quick reviews are coming in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeqMusaQe8

It's basically the exact same size as the vintage Android Krang (the big one, not the small one).
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:11 PM   #4916
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 6,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Imagine getting all worked up over a seam! Outside of these forums nobody really cares but heck if a seam serves as psychological justification to save a few bucks, sure whatever works. I would rather straight up say I’m broke (as I skipped Genghis instead of saying something trivial like he’s over textured)
Loved this....

I know a guy whose cope is similar to what you've described here. He's so far gone he will turn his head away and like he doesn't see something while throwing a fit about how he doesn't care. And you know it's so he doesn't get drawn into something new. Absolutely maladaptive weirdo cope.

"I've dropped huge money on an entire line of redux-vintage-Turtle-toys at absolutely inflated boutique market prices, but this one has a "seam" showing and in my collector-sophistication I cannot buy it now." I'm not sure if that's really what's happening there in your convo or not but I just love to the core that you saw the weird behavior and illustrated it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
This is a very strange hill to choose to die on, but assuming what you say is true (that the nose and the head are, in fact, not two pieces but all just one)


I mean... if you ever really want to rub it in then turn the tables. Go on about how their collection will forever be incomplete now because of their neuroticism. And so it's either go crazy looking at it or go crazy knowing that there will forever be a gap in the set... hahahaaa
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:32 AM   #4917
mikey see
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,071
I mean, it won't keep me from getting one of my top-5 figures in the vintage line, but I 100% see the dude's point about the line across Wingnut's face. It's a very obvious line across his face and, in true Super7 fashion, it wasn't there in the renders when everyone was asked to plunk down $75. It's not unreasonable to cry foul over that. What IS unreasonable (IMO) is blindly defending the company that time and again proves to us that they don't deserve our trust or our money. Not saying everyone here is doing that, but there are those that are.

But like I said it's also not a complete deal-breaker for me or even all that surprising given the company making these things.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:12 AM   #4918
Otter
Stone Warrior
 
Otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 717
I really hope that Nomad Leo is the first of four (or more) in a similar vein.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:00 AM   #4919
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
I was looking at some of the online reviews for Android Krang.

On the plus side, it looks fairly consistent and true to the Playmates Deluxe Krang both in terms of aesthetics and size.

It can also very easily slide into the Ultimates collection (perhaps, size-wise, it should be bigger).

The negatives: the plastic looks rather brittle (even some of the vinyl stuff they put on their shogun line would have worked).

It has a cool hamster wheel, but you'll never see it again once you snap the plastics into place. Who is going to risk breaking or chipping the figure by removing it.

It's 75-85$ (maybe, I will pick it up if it goes below $60)
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:01 AM   #4920
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I really hope that Nomad Leo is the first of four (or more) in a similar vein.
Seems like it may have been inspired by the Last Ronin series. It would work pretty well with Usagi or Panda Khan (Super7 you listening?).
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.