The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #81
SaurusX
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: U.S.
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
FYI, the complete series is on sale on Vudu right now in HD for $24.99. I don't think the movie is included.
Yes. "HD".
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:12 AM   #82
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Shadow's Sanctum
Posts: 3,006
Once again, American companies have forgotten the existence of the UK.
__________________
Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of Men?
The Shadow knows...
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #83
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist
 
The Turtle Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Once again, American companies have forgotten the existence of the UK.
Haven’t seen anywhere apart from eBay to import it so far
__________________
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:44 AM   #84
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,880
Has anyone pre ordered this? mine is saying temporarily out of stock.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 03:55 AM   #85
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite
 
TheBlueTurtle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,880
Ok now, got a delivery date.
__________________


http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #86
Storm Eagle
Saved by
 
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Has anyone pre ordered this? mine is saying temporarily out of stock.
I did, and it arrived today. The casing is like that of the ones for the complete series sets for the 1987 series and 2012 series, except it doesn't have two discs on one hub. I highly appreciate that, but these cases really need to go.

The inside of the cover wrap is actually blank and doesn't tell you what episodes are on what discs like the set for the 2012 series does. So I made up a list myself.

The episodes actually are in order for the most part. One thing though, is that "The Ultimate Ninja" and "Reflections" from the second season are switched around. "The Ultimate Ninja" aired right before "Reflections", and I believe I saw them listed that way on the official Ninja Turtles site when it was active. Anyway, they're on the same disc.

"The Christmas Aliens" from the third season originally aired between "The Lesson" and "The Darkness Within", and I always thought it was the correct order. However, "The Christmas Aliens" might have been the first episode listed in the season 3 episode guide on the official Ninja Turtles site. It was actually on Christmas day of 2004 where "The Christmas Aliens" premiered, and that's probably why they did it, whether it's the actual chronological order or not.

There are 18 discs total, and there are nine episodes per disc, with the exception of the 13th and 18th disc. Disc 13 has eight episodes, but there could have been nine if episode #110 was on it. That was the episode from the 5th season that didn't get completed. On disc 13, it actually says "episodes 109, 111 - 117". Disc 18 just has the latter three episodes on it, and of course Turtles Forever.

The discs aren't separated by season. So this is how the breakdown goes.
Season 1: Discs 1 - 3 (disc 3 ends with the first episode of season 2)
Season 2: Discs 3 - 6
Season 3: Discs 6 - 9
Season 4: Discs 9 - 12
Season 5: Discs 12 & 13
Season 6: Discs 14 - 16 (disc 14 starts with the first season 6 episode)
Season 7: Discs 16 - 18 (disc 16 ends with the first episode of season 7)
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:27 PM   #87
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,179
I have to apologize, TheBlueTurtle1. When I assured you that you could find the complete DVD set at Wal-Mart, I didn’t look at your location and realize that you lived in the UK. I guess I should’ve said ASDA.
__________________
Totally Interstellar
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #88
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior
 
FlawedCoil82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I have to apologize, TheBlueTurtle1. When I assured you that you could find the complete DVD set at Wal-Mart, I didn’t look at your location and realize that you lived in the UK. I guess I should’ve said ASDA.
Is this being seen available at any Wal-Marts?
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:07 PM   #89
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior
 
FlawedCoil82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 520
Well I went to two different Walmart stores and neither had this set, so it must be an online exclusive.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:18 PM   #90
SaurusX
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: U.S.
Posts: 42
I've spoken with someone who got this release and the sad news is that it's sub-par.

The video 4:3 in a 16:9 space, which is what I feared would happen. Nick did this with their few 2003 releases and you end up with hardcoded black bars on the sides of the image. The DVD authors apparently forgot DVD players can add the bars automatically so there's an automatic resolution hit.

The video is poorly deinterlaced with scan lines and blending baked into the video. And I'm not mistaking this for regular interlaced video, this is where someone tried to deinterlace the image and had leftover mess that pops through.

And it's edited. Not just the cutdown version of the movie, but the scene at the end of season 5 with Tengu Shredder being split in two. It cuts away before the money shot.

I think the original DVD release is going to stand as the best quality we're ever going to get of this series.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:35 AM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 41,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I did, and it arrived today. The casing is like that of the ones for the complete series sets for the 1987 series and 2012 series, except it doesn't have two discs on one hub. I highly appreciate that, but these cases really need to go.

The inside of the cover wrap is actually blank and doesn't tell you what episodes are on what discs like the set for the 2012 series does. So I made up a list myself.

The episodes actually are in order for the most part. One thing though, is that "The Ultimate Ninja" and "Reflections" from the second season are switched around. "The Ultimate Ninja" aired right before "Reflections", and I believe I saw them listed that way on the official Ninja Turtles site when it was active. Anyway, they're on the same disc.

"The Christmas Aliens" from the third season originally aired between "The Lesson" and "The Darkness Within", and I always thought it was the correct order. However, "The Christmas Aliens" might have been the first episode listed in the season 3 episode guide on the official Ninja Turtles site. It was actually on Christmas day of 2004 where "The Christmas Aliens" premiered, and that's probably why they did it, whether it's the actual chronological order or not.

There are 18 discs total, and there are nine episodes per disc, with the exception of the 13th and 18th disc. Disc 13 has eight episodes, but there could have been nine if episode #110 was on it. That was the episode from the 5th season that didn't get completed. On disc 13, it actually says "episodes 109, 111 - 117". Disc 18 just has the latter three episodes on it, and of course Turtles Forever.

The discs aren't separated by season. So this is how the breakdown goes.
Season 1: Discs 1 - 3 (disc 3 ends with the first episode of season 2)
Season 2: Discs 3 - 6
Season 3: Discs 6 - 9
Season 4: Discs 9 - 12
Season 5: Discs 12 & 13
Season 6: Discs 14 - 16 (disc 14 starts with the first season 6 episode)
Season 7: Discs 16 - 18 (disc 16 ends with the first episode of season 7)
Anything wrong with the image quality? Are the previews from the previous episode still there for the multi-part eps? I remember the old 4kids DVDs used to cut those out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:57 AM   #92
Kirben
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
The video 4:3 in a 16:9 space, which is what I feared would happen. Nick did this with their few 2003 releases and you end up with hardcoded black bars on the sides of the image. The DVD authors apparently forgot DVD players can add the bars automatically so there's an automatic resolution hit.
That happened with the Australian DVD releases of the 1987 series too, how much resolution is lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
And it's edited. Not just the cutdown version of the movie, but the scene at the end of season 5 with Tengu Shredder being split in two. It cuts away before the money shot.
That destroys my interest in this release, any edits are out. I got hit by the missing scenes in one of the local DVD releases of season 2 in past.
Kirben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:34 AM   #93
SaurusX
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: U.S.
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Anything wrong with the image quality? Are the previews from the previous episode still there for the multi-part eps? I remember the old 4kids DVDs used to cut those out.
The video has a very strange blending and blurring effect. Not good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
That happened with the Australian DVD releases of the 1987 series too, how much resolution is lost?
Doing the math you lose a quarter of the available horizontal resolution by squeezing a 4:3 image into a 16:9 space on DVD, which has a fixed resolution of 720x480. That's a serious hit.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:04 AM   #94
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior
 
Chaotix12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 957
Eh, the black bars seem par for the course with how the show is presented on Paramount+ and presumably digital storefronts. (As well as the Tengu Shredder edit. Might've been an added S&P thing when Season 5 actually hit the airwaves as "The Lost Episodes" that stuck.) Not too bothered, as I marathoned the whole shebang on P+ last year and still enjoyed it just fine. I'm just super excited to finally have this show on my shelf alongside the others.

Last edited by Chaotix12345; 07-26-2023 at 06:09 AM.
Chaotix12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #95
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 569
Can someone explain what is meant by "squeezing a 4:3 show into a 16:9 Space?" Because I still don't know what that means. The show was in 4:3, so I would expect to see the black bars. 4:3 shows look weird when they're made to fill up a wide screen tv; the image gets stretched and distorted. And the image shown looks totally normal, so it doesn't seem to be the thing where a show is formatted for widescreen on a 4:3 and you end up with bars surrounding the image. Based on the description and the picture, I'm not sure what the problem is.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:21 PM   #96
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,006
I think what they mean is that the show is rendered at 16x9 with the bars already in place, rather than rendering it at 4x3 and letting the player take care of the bars, resulting in a resolution hit.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:45 PM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 41,023
Can someone explain to me what the Tengu Shredder edit is?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #98
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior
 
FlawedCoil82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 520
Here is an unboxing video if people want to see what the packaging looks like. It is definitely a bare bones release. I wish fans were involved when companies do this stuff, as they would (undoubtedly) do a much better job of putting out a quality product. Nonetheless, at very least the series is now (legally) available on DVD.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #99
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
Here is an unboxing video if people want to see what the packaging looks like. It is definitely a bare bones release. I wish fans were involved when companies do this stuff, as they would (undoubtedly) do a much better job of putting out a quality product. Nonetheless, at very least the series is now (legally) available on DVD.
I'll be honest, this is a complaint that I have never understood nor empathized with. I've heard many people, about many different releases, complain that a release is "bare bones" or "only has the show," "No bonus features." And to that I've always thought:

...Yeah? And?

Oh no, the DVD release of this show I like only has the show I like! I still do not understand why anyone cares about the inclusion or lack thereof of bonus features that don't matter and that most people won't watch, and that people who do watch will watch maybe once, if that. It always seems a mite entitled, or at least it's more the idea of them exisiting rather than any actual substantive value.

This is probably coming off a lot more antagonistic than I feel. Bottom line, if a DVD release has the episodes of the show, that's all I ever care about.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:20 PM   #100
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 41,023
Well, it exists. We waited 15+ years for a DVD set that had the episodes in proper order and we got it. Is it perfect, no, but it's better than nothing.

I still have my UK DVD of Turtles Forever too so I'll keep that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.