The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #1361
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So Rebirth is over?
Rebirth's been over since 2018.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #1362
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The label may have been removed, but that does not mean that the direction is. I am reading Detective Comics, The Green Lantern,and Batgirl (also Doomsday Clock, but the clock ran out on its all over the place narrative awhile ago). Don't love any, but don't hate any.

How will this revival of Nora differ from Lazura? Appears to have similarities of Nora going rouge and against Victor.

I really want to see Brubaker or Jeph Loeb do Batman again one way or another. Loeb's departure from DC created a crapfest called All-Star and I was hoping for a break from his similar formula in his three other tales (all favorites of mine).

Also, I posted this on the Green Lantern thread about a week ago... The Green Lantern#12 was confusing. So Qwa-Man is Hal Jordan of the Anti-Matter Universe? Aside from the same hair color what makes them the same? This Qwa-Man character is basically Cyborg Superman. Qwa as in Qward? Also, I thought Hal defeated Controller Mu and the mission was over? Suddenly, he is pulled back in by Mu who is not dead and they do not know that he is under deep cover following Mu's defeat?

Also, when did The Darkstars get renamed The Black Stars?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #1363
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Loeb's departure from DC created a crapfest called All-Star
All-Star Superman is hailed as one of the definitive Superman stories
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #1364
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
All-Star Superman is hailed as one of the definitive Superman stories
I was referring to All-Star Batman and Robin as Loeb was meant to write it before he left in late 2005. I wanted to see Loeb write Batman outside of his formula.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #1365
Leo656
The Franchise

Also, All-Star Superman is objectively one of the most overrated Superman stories of all time. It's good, but it's only "great" if you prefer the Silver Age over anything from 1986 and afterwards.

I grew up with Byrne's Superman, and while I have quite a few Silver Age books, I can see why "only little kids read Superman" was the general consensus for so many decades until Byrne's reboot. They have a certain naive charm, but they're overwhelmingly silly, and I'm not even sure the character would still be in print if they hadn't decided to do a complete 180 after "Crisis". After 50 years it was long overdue for the character to "grow up".

"All-Star" leans 200% into the Silver Age - which I understand because Grant Morrison grew up in the "Super Friends" Era, so I understand that he wrote it through the eyes of his childhood self - but that's exactly why it's only "good, not Great" to me. I actually thought the animated film was a little bit better, if only for trimming a lot of the fat while keeping the main bits of the story intact. It didn't go completely off the rails like a lot of the more recent animated misfires have.

All-Star Batman and Robin, though... woof, what a pooch. Some of Jim Lee's best work, but holy sh*t. Frank Miller, to a guy who's never read much "Daredevil", is simply a hack who got lucky exactly one-and-a-half times.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #1366
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Post-Crisis and pre... eh, let's say a bit after Infinite Crisis but a bit before Flashpoint, represents the last "Age" where DC editorial carved out a direction and stuck with it, and made their creative teams tow the line. Since then it's all WB calling the shots (largely using the comics as commercials for their crappy movies) from afar, with directions and supporting casts that only last as long as a writer's stint and nobody really talking to each other. I don't mean to say it's the inmates running the asylum as much as it is like an asylum with... no inmates.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, crisis of infinite sjws, dc comics, doomsdaycock, infinite cucks, superman, wonder woman