The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Who would you consider to be the 10 most well known people all over the world today?

Saw this thread in another forum and thought it'd be fun to do it here.

Name 10 people, whether in order or not it's up to you, who do you consider to be the most well known people all over the world today. And this is only about LIVING people. So no Hitler, Stalin, Julius Caeser, etc.

I'll try. In no order:

Donald Trump: A no brainer, really
Barack Obama: Also a no brainer. He's still fresh in memory. Maybe in some years the world will sorta forget him like they're forgetting George W. Bush these days who completely moved away from politics.
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson: Highest grossing actor in Hollywood in the last few years, I believe?
Kanye West: A no brainer as far as musicians go.
Kim Kardashian: yeah I know she's famous for stupid reasons and all, but we're not discussing merits nor the quality of their work here, but their fame only. And also, she is married to Kanye West, meaning her relevancy in the mainstream wont' go away anytime soon.
Vladimir Puin: Arguably the most well know state leader nowadays next to Trump It's him or Angela Merkel or the Queen of England, imo.
Angela Merkel: See above.
The Queen of England: Ditto.
The current Pope: No brainer either. I mean... who doesn't know the goddamn Pope?

To complete the top 10... an athlete... one of these for certain: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Lebron James or Michael Jordan. Also add Hulk Hogan if you count him into it.

Your turn now.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

Can't argue with most of your list. I'd bump a couple people for Paul McCartney, Oprah, OJ Simpson, Beyoncé, and maybe a few others.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Can't argue with most of your list. I'd bump a couple people for Paul McCartney, Oprah, OJ Simpson, Beyoncé, and maybe a few others.
OJ's trial was HUGE all over the world, but we're talking as of today. Meaning he's no longer in the back of the mind of most people's all over the world. But I agree with the other three. Although the name The Beatles is bigger than any of the members. Ringo Starr is still alive and making music and I never hear of him on the news, per example.

I'd make a honorable mentions list but I'd still leave lots of famous people out. It's hard to make a list like this, which makes it interesting.

Hell I'm sure Bieber is still very famous and I don't have him in my list, per example. Not to mention people like jack Nicholson, Scarlett Johansson, etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The current Pope: No brainer either. I mean... who doesn't know the goddamn Pope?
Me. I know the Pope as a figure but not his name or face. I don't follow news & I'm not religous.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Me. I know the Pope as a figure but not his name or face. I don't follow news & I'm not religous.
You don't have to be Catholic or religious to know him. I'm neither and he's on the news on a regular basis. Remember that popes are still treated like any regular state leader. Whenever they visit a country it's made a big deal out of their visit.

Anyway, I don't mean it as literally everyone knowing those people. I think it's impossible for every single person on Earth to know the same person by name and face.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
OJ's trial was HUGE all over the world, but we're talking as of today. Meaning he's no longer in the back of the mind of most people's all over the world.
I disagree, at least as far as America goes. He's been the butt of jokes pretty much nonstop ever since the trial, gets mentioned in rap lyrics a lot, etc.

Plus with his kid napping arrest, Chappelle's Netflix special, the excellent Emmy Award winning People v. OJ Simpson series on FX and his upcoming release from prison... he's a pretty popular topic again
Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I disagree, at least as far as America goes. He's been the butt of jokes pretty much nonstop ever since the trial, gets mentioned in rap lyrics a lot, etc.

Plus with his kid napping arrest, Chappelle's Netflix special, the excellent Emmy Award winning People v. OJ Simpson series on FX and his upcoming release from prison... he's a pretty popular topic again
Yeah I know he was arrested not too long ago.

He has a tv series based on him?

I mean people remember the name but he's not a top priority on people's minds all over the world. I never hear people talk about him. It's kinda like that Breivik guy from Norway who is still infamous but only occasionally will people remember him when they see him on the news again "oh that guy again...". Definitely not top 10 or 20, imo.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

1- The Rock
2- Dwayne Johnson
3- The People's Champ
4- The Brahma Bull
5- The Most Electrifying Man in All of Entertainment
6- The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if yall dont like it you can kiss the peoples ass!
7- The Great One
8- The Most Electrifying Man in all of Twittertainment
9- Flex F***in' Kavana
10- Seth Rogen
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I agree with the people others have posted. Can't think of any others at the moment, though.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
sdp
-

Out of all the people mentioned in this thread the only ones I agree would be Trump and The Rock. I would've included Pope Francis but Powder just proved us wrong on that one.

If you don't follow politics you wouldn't know who Putin is, at least not the average person as big as he is so people like Merkel have no chance. Even Kim Kardashian as big as she is in the US and people who follow that celebrity culture, most older people from other countries do not know who she is. I can tell you where I'm living a vast majority don't know nor care who OJ Simpson is, Oprah is definitely well known but not everyone would know her.

Obviously people would know Obama, right now but younger generations of other countries will soon not know who he is. For someone to know a person all over the world no matter age, culture etc. It's mostly going to be big singers and celebrities. Tom Cruise, Brittney Spears, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Robert Downey Jr. etc.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In the world?

1. Donald Trump
2. Xi Jinping
3. Tom Cruise
4. Tom Hanks
5. Justin Bieber
6. Oprah Winfrey
7. Al Pacino
8. Robert DeNiro
9. Mark Zuckerberg
10. Vladimir Putin
11. Sam Worthington

Something like that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Yeah I know he was arrested not too long ago.

He has a tv series based on him?

I mean people remember the name but he's not a top priority on people's minds all over the world. I never hear people talk about him. It's kinda like that Breivik guy from Norway who is still infamous but only occasionally will people remember him when they see him on the news again "oh that guy again...". Definitely not top 10 or 20, imo.
Yeah, it was extremely popular here, and very well done outside of some poor casting choices. Sterling K. Brown and Courtney B. Vance are both amazing in it.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I'm with Powder concerning the Pope. I have no idea what he looks like and would not recognize his name either. I could imagine people around the world knowing who Oprah, Bono, Madonna, Beyoncé & kim kardashian are.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Out of all the people mentioned in this thread the only ones I agree would be Trump and The Rock. I would've included Pope Francis but Powder just proved us wrong on that one.

If you don't follow politics you wouldn't know who Putin is, at least not the average person as big as he is so people like Merkel have no chance. Even Kim Kardashian as big as she is in the US and people who follow that celebrity culture, most older people from other countries do not know who she is. I can tell you where I'm living a vast majority don't know nor care who OJ Simpson is, Oprah is definitely well known but not everyone would know her.

Obviously people would know Obama, right now but younger generations of other countries will soon not know who he is. For someone to know a person all over the world no matter age, culture etc. It's mostly going to be big singers and celebrities. Tom Cruise, Brittney Spears, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Robert Downey Jr. etc.
You say that not that many have heard of Putin or Kim Kardashian(older people) but then you put Britney Spears? Sure, she was a successful singer in her prime, but what makes you think she might be more well known among middle aged people than Kim Kardashian? I don't like Kardashian or her family at all, but sadly, they're very well known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In the world?

1. Donald Trump
2. Xi Jinping
3. Tom Cruise
4. Tom Hanks
5. Justin Bieber
6. Oprah Winfrey
7. Al Pacino
8. Robert DeNiro
9. Mark Zuckerberg
10. Vladimir Putin
11. Sam Worthington

Something like that.
Why not Arnold Schwarzenegger up there? Or Obama? I'd have them over Sam Worthington.

Xi Jinping 2nd while Putin at 10th? I disagree. China might be the 2nd largest economy in the world but their president doesn't get much media attention outside his country compared to other state leaders, from my observation. Or maybe I'm just distracted.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Why not Arnold Schwarzenegger up there? Or Obama? I'd have them over Sam Worthington.
I was totally kidding with Worthington.

Quote:
Xi Jinping 2nd while Putin at 10th? I disagree. China might be the 2nd largest economy in the world but their president doesn't get much media attention outside his country
Even if true, that doesn't matter. China has 1.5 billion people. By comparison, the US has only 323 million. It doesn't matter if not a single soul outside of China knows who Xi Jinping is... he wins by default.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I was totally kidding with Worthington.

Even if true, that doesn't matter. China has 1.5 billion people. By comparison, the US has only 323 million. It doesn't matter if not a single soul outside of China knows who Xi Jinping is... he wins by default.
Sure but that still leaved about 5 or 6 billion people outside of China.. and I'm sure most of the Chinese know Obama, Trump and Putin as well
Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not counting politics or presidents, I'd say:

- Arnold Schwarzeneggar
- Sylvester Stallone
- Harrison Ford
- Jackie Chan
- Bruce Lee
- Madonna
- Sean Connery
- Mike Tyson or Mohammed Ali
- Michael Jackson
- Shigeru Miyamoto
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #18
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Yeah right.

Also... Bruce Lee, Ali and Michael are all dead.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

I forgot he said no dead people, but they're still rather recent. Ali only died back in...2014 or so? I'd replace them with Bill Gates then.

Also Shigeru Miyamoto is considered the, "Walt Disney" of videogames. Just like everyone knows Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse or Disney in general, everyone knows Super Mario Bros. was created by Shigeru Miyamoto.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

No they don't. I'll agree that he's an extremely influential individual, you'd be hard pressed to find someone unfamiliar with at least some of his work, but a small percentage of people know his name or face.