The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #1181
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm looking around on Facebook and in the comments of news articles and I'm seeing more and more a disturbing narrative developing.

OP: "This movie really sucked."

Replier: "You're an old fogey! Let me guess, you wanted an Empire Strikes Back remake, didn't you???"

* cue a bunch of other people chiming in, agreeing *

OP: "No, not at all. I just didn't feel like the story went anywhere and nothing was explained from the last movie and it doesn't leave me interested at all in seeing what happens next."

Replier: "It's because you love the EU books, I bet! Or want it to be like the OLD Star Wars! This is the NEW Star Wars!!!"

And so forth and so on. I don't know if this is just a growing defense mechanism of the "new fans," studio PLANTS or what, but it's a little discouraging to see. I actually liked the movie but I can see why large portions of it don't hold water.

It's also a growing representation of people who can't stand any comment they deem 'negative'.

over on another board, an episode 8 thread was going along just fine, but got closed because the mods didn't like the direction it was going in. I.e. Mostly 'negative' comments.

smh. people really are a bunch of snowflakes these days. if this is the new star wars, which is basically just badly copying the old better star wars, they can have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
It seems people can't be allowed to dislike, or like something that others feel opposite about.
Was it you who posted that a similar thing is happening with the new Star Trek series? I can't remember. Also, this new and old, sure, new movies and direction but they had been using the old characters and finishing their stories.

Yep. dare to say 'it's crap' and watch out. the 'be nice' police will come at you real hard.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #1182
newfan
Mad Scientist

Well I suppose as Plastron pointed out, in some cases it is how people go about giving their views also (generally speaking I mean)

Last edited by newfan; 01-04-2018 at 11:34 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #1183
Vegita-San
Emperor

Even on other message boards, people tend to tire of anything they deem 'negative' super quickly these days.

but they don't realize their own 'positive' rantings can fall into the same category. so long as someone is posting that the movie is good, seems they are on the high ground and can trash anything they want...

smh.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #1184
CyberCubed
Overlord

And yet you're doing exactly what you complain about.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #1185
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
so long as someone is posting that the movie is good, seems they are on the high ground and can trash anything they want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #1186
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
does a few feet really count as the high ground? dumb ass just didn't jump high enough
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #1187
CyberCubed
Overlord

I kind of wonder now what Episode 7 would have been like if Rian Johnson was in charge of the new trilogy from the start. Unlike J.J. Abrams who "played it safe," it feels like Rian Johnson actually has a great vision for the franchise to completely move away from the original trilogy and into new territory.

All the biggest blunders of the new movies that we're now stuck with, like the Empire being so strong, Snoke, Luke leaving/abandoning the rebels, the third Death Star, Kylo Ren wearing a Darth Vader mask, etc...was all because of him.

Seems like Rian Johnson on the other hand tried to get us away from this.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #1188
Vegita-San
Emperor

so i've been re reading some of the books.

The new movies are like the Zahn versus Anderson trilogies.

Zahn masterfully weaves a new tale, advancing things and characters significantly. while maybe once every 5 chapters referencing something from the old movies to show it's in the same universe.

Anderson, however, comes off as fan fiction. Stilted dialogue. Sometimes repeating dialogue. unfinished thoughts. And references to the movies literally every 2-4 pages. the new ideas he has don't get a chance to breath because a few pages later, han is donning a storm trooper disguise and making ANH reference.

that's what the new movies come off as.
Zahn is 4-6. Kevin J. Anderson is 7-9.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 AM   #1189
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Had the pleasure of meeting Timothy Zahn a couple of years back, and he was extremely nice to chat with, along with writing arguably some of the best EU books.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayhem...7662893021593/

And I do agree to a degree with that, they were extremely faithful to the themes and spirit of the original trilogy, no mean feat!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #1190
Vegita-San
Emperor

oops.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #1191
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

But remember, this year we shouldn't be focusing on so much negativity...
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #1192
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mark Hammill is fine with the movie. He's not "warning fans." That's a badly edited youtube clip to make it look like Luke is crapping over the movie he was promoting for months.

I love the conspiracy theories Vegita-san is trying to come up with to find out everyone involved with this movie has some vendetta against it.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #1193
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Had the pleasure of meeting Timothy Zahn a couple of years back, and he was extremely nice to chat with, along with writing arguably some of the best EU books.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayhem...7662893021593/

And I do agree to a degree with that, they were extremely faithful to the themes and spirit of the original trilogy, no mean feat!
His personal notes and annotations in the 20th anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire really illustrate how much effort he put into extrapolating the future of the post-Original Trilogy SW universe.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #1194
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I pass tunnel bridge like twice a week that is fully decked out on Star Wars images and the theme playing, this is probably the coolest thing to come out of The Last Jedi for me. I've passed through it quite a few times already but I still get that nostalgic feeling.

I think I'm all star wars outt for the moment, I've already mentioned all my thoughts about it and I'll need some time before I continue ranting or getting excited about another movie, so unless I see Solo or the trailer is really bad/good, I think I'll take a break from SWs until marketing for IX begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Which is odd, because this movie already felt too much like a remake of Empire
I agree, but it seems to be the narrative as to why there's a backlash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mark Hammill is fine with the movie. He's not "warning fans." That's a badly edited youtube clip
Most videos with out of context quotes are usually trash. I won't even bother with this one but I did read and saw a few interviews with Hamill and he did seem displeased with the direction of the movie. He also says it's a fine movie but just not what he thought it should've been which is what many agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I kind of wonder now what Episode 7 would have been like if Rian Johnson was in charge of the new trilogy from the start. Unlike J.J. Abrams who "played it safe," it feels like Rian Johnson actually has a great vision for the franchise to completely move away from the original trilogy and into new territory.

All the biggest blunders of the new movies that we're now stuck with, like the Empire being so strong, Snoke, Luke leaving/abandoning the rebels, the third Death Star, Kylo Ren wearing a Darth Vader mask, etc...was all because of him.

Seems like Rian Johnson on the other hand tried to get us away from this
It's hard to know, Rian did cement the Empire vs Rebels at the end of 8 after teasing at a new direction, we also don't know if it was the big mouse that said "we want empire vs rebels". But I agree that the major flaw of the movie is having the original status quo. Starting with a "mamma" joke was likely not the best idea but hardly a deal breaker. But yeah I could wonder forever what an Ep.VII with anyone besides JJ would've been, my fav. is a VII without Disney but no time to waste on hypotheticals, let's deal with the aftermath of reality.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #1195
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

I saw it over the holidays, and it was... entertaining. Then again, I haven't been a huge fan of Star Wars franchise, except for reviewing and analyzing the storywriting as to understand its popularity/allure.

...Now let's focus on the real concern, that Jar Jar Binks should return as the ultimate Sith lord (intriguing part at 38:12-41:18 ):
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #1196
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Star Wars: Oscar Isaac Says It's Hard Watching "His Man" Finn Kiss Someone Else

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/0...-romance-rose/
Quote:
Look, it was a little difficult to see my man kiss somebody else, but, you know, you gotta give up control… you got to watch some stuff you don't want to watch some times," Isaac added.

The actor is adding fuel to the flames for those who shipped Finn and Poe together after their friendship began in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But now that Rose is in the picture, it looks like that romance — and the potential Finn and Rey ship — could be in jeopardy.
My ship FinnPoe/StormPilot is sailing strong despite the annoying wrench in the gears aka Rose Tico.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #1197
Vegita-San
Emperor

supposedly some smaller cinemas are removing last jedi for jumanji.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #1198
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
supposedly some smaller cinemas are removing last jedi for jumanji.
Do you never get bored? It's worldwide gross is currently $1,222,851,360 according to IDMB.

It's made Disney millions back its budget.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #1199
Vegita-San
Emperor

another disappointment for star wars.

good.

https://screenrant.com/china-drops-l...di-screenings/
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #1200
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
another disappointment for star wars.

good.

https://screenrant.com/china-drops-l...di-screenings/
From when TFA was released:

‘Star Wars’ China Poster Sparks Controversy After Shrinking John Boyega’s Character

Supposedly, mainland Chinese attitudes about people of African descent are less than favorable, and this film has a prominent romance between a black guy and a Chinese girl.

China has an irrational fear of a “black invasion” bringing drugs, crime, and interracial marriage

A Chinese exhibit comparing Africans to animals shows the problematic racial attitudes in China

I would imagine that at least had something to do with it.

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw