The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #521
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It could be in response to the possibility of the marriage being restored in 616 continuity. If that does happen the primary purpose for this comic is unnecessary. Of course this will take away their child and all the dynamics that Annie brings to the fold, but I am pulling this comic for one reason, the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane.
Maybe, although I'm not sure the marriage will come back to 616; too many burned bridges and I think that most writers consider them dating to be "close enough" and a far more flexible status quo to work with.

Personally, see the couple as parents was an addition I liked and I'd rather have seen this series go on because of that over a 616 revival. However, all we know is that when the Spider-Geddon event hits, RYV is no longer on the publication lists (not counting a tie-in miniseries Annie is guest-starring in). That could mean it's being canceled (whether it just ends with the characters riding off in the sunset with an "...and the adventures continue" intent or if they get killed off, a la Spider-Girl in Spider-Verse remains to be seen).

On the other hand, maybe it will get revived in some other fashion after the fact; All-New Wolverine was canceled to make room for the original Wolverine coming back, but the ANW characters were just given a new series, X-23, that was basically the ANW under a new title and creative team. Not to mention there have been countless other series that were revived after years of dormancy.

Point is, we don't know all of what's going to happen just yet, only that there's no RYV issues for publication for the last few months of the year. I wouldn't be lying if I didn't think it was only a fool's hope that RYV isn't going to be canceled, but there is a hope of some kind still here.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #522
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What is this "Spider-geddon"? After the Red Goblin mess and Flash Thompson's sacrifice and yet another new number one I thought there would be rest for a while. I see what you are referring to as the events change not just directions, but what titles are offered. Fingers crossed One More Day overridden as a bone to the marriage fans. Perhaps Annie like Miles not of this world gets incorporated into 616 and everyone gets a piece of the cake they like mentality.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #523
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What is this "Spider-geddon"?
A direct sequel to Spider-Verse. Pretty much the same premise as last time, with the same villains. Slott is also co-writing it so it'll probably be just as mean-spirited and it's also why plenty of us are worried about the RYV Family, some think MJ and Annie will survive, but RYV Peter will be killed.

Quote:
[Perhaps Annie like Miles not of this world gets incorporated into 616 and everyone gets a piece of the cake they like mentality.
Meh, I'd prefer it if she got to keep her family intact, not bond with younger versions of her parents who are merely dating and won't commit to marriage the way the RYV versions did.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #524
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well fellas, we've reached the end. Next week is the final issue of Renew Your Vows after almost three years (or four if you count Slott's mini-series)

Here's the preview of the final issue, where Annie finally tells her parents of her clairvoyant abilities.

https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-m...-your-vows-23/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-15-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #525
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well...that's it. RYV is done.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #526
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Not a bad way to go out; no plot threads were left dangling, it feels like a natural stopping point, but one that could be picked up on if the wheels turn that way. Guess we'll see where Spider-Geddon goes with them.

Really loved the X-23 cameo.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:10 AM   #527
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, about the only loose end left is what'll happen to Normie and his six arms, but he's working with the X-Men closely on that so nothing to fret about.

It lasted long enough, and for a while held it's nerve, often outselling more popular hits like Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales (before the time skip anyway), and it helped mentally prepare readers, old and new, for the return of Peter and MJ's relationship in the main continuity.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #528
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Yeah, about the only loose end left is what'll happen to Normie and his six arms, but he's working with the X-Men closely on that so nothing to fret about.
Was that meant to be the start of something new or "just" a way to kind of "show" where his life would go? (Case in point, the old X-Men: Evolution TV show had a flash forward at the very end of the final episode that didn't really have anything to do with the main plot and in some cases left open-ended questions -- like showing Jean becoming Phoenix and dying without any plans to capitalize on it. Lot of questions raised, but it did help give a canceled series a sense of closure and feeling like we were seeing the characters have their lives go forward.)

Quote:
It lasted long enough, and for a while held it's nerve, often outselling more popular hits like Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales (before the time skip anyway), and it helped mentally prepare readers, old and new, for the return of Peter and MJ's relationship in the main continuity.
Was it made to prep that? I got the idea that bringing Peter and MJ back together was decided long after RYV was picked up again. If anything, I think it was more of realizing that the original mini sold well and was liked, meaning there was a market to expand on it then trying to set something up in 616; it's not like every ASM reader was going to pick up an AU B-title.

Still, it did sell a lot better then I thought it would. Pretty good for a one-time mini that got a second chance. (Who knows? Maybe it'll resurrect again after Spider-Geddon. Not a given, to be sure, but there was a time when we thought that the Slott mini was all we would get.)
Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #529
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Was that meant to be the start of something new or "just" a way to kind of "show" where his life would go? (Case in point, the old X-Men: Evolution TV show had a flash forward at the very end of the final episode that didn't really have anything to do with the main plot and in some cases left open-ended questions -- like showing Jean becoming Phoenix and dying without any plans to capitalise on it. Lot of questions raised, but it did help give a canceled series a sense of closure and feeling like we were seeing the characters have their lives go forward.)
Good point, and interesting enough, both of those examples involve the X-Men. Spooky.

Quote:
Was it made to prep that?
Nah, that's just how it worked out. RYV Peter and MJ filled the void in a positive way, but it was likely more to do with Spencer's plans for Peter and MJ in ASM that made the company push MJ's importance in a positive light again in preparation for their reunion.

Quote:
Maybe it'll resurrect again after Spider-Geddon. Not a given, to be sure, but there was a time when we thought that the Slott mini was all we would get.)
I think we'll be seeing more of Annie for sure...I do worry we'll likely see RYV Peter die (there's not that many characters in Spidergeddon fans would care for otherwise), I read from the solicitations there's supposed to be a crystal that can revive the dead and the Inheritors want to use it to restore their leader...so maybe that'll be a macguffin to bring back characters killed in this event and maybe Spider-Verse too? (so we could see "MC2 Peter" again?)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #530
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Good point, and interesting enough, both of those examples involve the X-Men. Spooky.
Small reference pool on my part.

Quote:
Nah, that's just how it worked out. RYV Peter and MJ filled the void in a positive way, but it was likely more to do with Spencer's plans for Peter and MJ in ASM that made the company push MJ's importance in a positive light again in preparation for their reunion.
Could be.

Quote:
I think we'll be seeing more of Annie for sure...I do worry we'll likely see RYV Peter die (there's not that many characters in Spidergeddon fans would care for otherwise), I read from the solicitations there's supposed to be a crystal that can revive the dead and the Inheritors want to use it to restore their leader...so maybe that'll be a macguffin to bring back characters killed in this event and maybe Spider-Verse too? (so we could see "MC2 Peter" again?)
Seeing as we don't know much about the story yet, I guess it's just blind guessing until something does happen.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #531
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Seeing as we don't know much about the story yet, I guess it's just blind guessing until something does happen.
Speculation always is slightly informed guesswork most of the time.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #532
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Interestingly, the Spider-Girls mini-series, featuring Annie crossing over with Mayday and Anya is charting very well. Indeed the highest something connected to the RYV universe has done since the time jump last year.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #533
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well, good news for RYV fans, Spidergeddon has concluded and the Spider-Fam made it all out alive and intact, and Annie now has a place in the web of destiny as the weaver of the web. No idea if we'll see RYV relaunched later down the line, but for now it has proper closure.

And just so Mayday isn't left out...there was a cliffhanger where her father, MC2 Peter, is revealed as The Other and resurrected back on her Earth.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #534
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like a hot mess.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #535
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sounds like a hot mess.
Oh it was, but a more satisfactory mess than the original, and fairly bleak, series from 2014 where the Spiders barely put up a fight.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #537
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Parkers will be in Marvel#10001, and Annie may appear in a new Spider-Verse mini-series, both coming in the fall.

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns