The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Overall impressions of the powers?
Her powers are a neat idea to add into the franchise's lore 7 20.00%
While solid on paper, the execution is lackluster. 4 11.43%
Wait until the end of the show man, then overall impressions. 9 25.71%
Indifferent to the concept. 5 14.29%
April's powers are not needed. 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #41
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But again, April is traditionally neither self-serving nor a bully, nor does she display an irrational hatred of men or a need to prove herself as "just as good" as they are. She's never displayed any of the personality traits that police officers typically do.

So again, by what logic would she even WANT to be a cop? She's never been written as having the personality for it. Not one bit. She's a Good Person, regardless of career. Cops, on the other hand...

No offense, but it seems more like wishful thinking that your fanfiction ideas would influence canon, rather than what would actually make sense for April as a character. She'd have to be so completely different from a character and personality standpoint in order to be portrayed as a cop, that she may as well be an OC entirely by that point.

No offense, just sayin'.
It's hard to imagine April with the aggressive demeanor of a cop, honestly it just wouldn't work well.If you want a female cop sl badly then you'd be better off to make her a different character.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

And it ain't like this franchise has any shortage of side characters sucking up air and taking focus away from the Turtles, who are allegedly the most interesting thing about the premise, yet consistently have to fight to share time with a bunch of yahoos nobody asked for, am I right? What's another one?

Do they have a friend who's a race car driver? Let's give the turtles a friend who's a race car driver, just because. That'd be neat. Or better, let's make CASEY a race car driver, on account of the fact that I, as a reader, am a huge fan of Speed Racer, which has nothing to do with TMNT, it's just something that would tickle me, personally.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #43
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
And it ain't like this franchise has any shortage of side characters sucking up air and taking focus away from the Turtles, who are allegedly the most interesting thing about the premise, yet consistently have to fight to share time with a bunch of yahoos nobody asked for, am I right? What's another one?
Isn't there a female cod in the new PD movie? She'll probably take a bit of time from the turtles too , if the first film is any indication.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #44
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
Then the character would hardly feel like April, it's just too drastic and unnecessary of a change.
That's a little weird to hear since April has been a Lab assistant, New Reporter, College student and most recently a highschooler.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #45
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
That's a little weird to hear since April has been a Lab assistant, New Reporter, College student and most recently a highschooler.
All notable for their lack of authority & guns.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 AM   #46
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yea..not like changing her a third time is gonna mess her up. (she feels kinda like a blank slate character to me anyway)

and to Leo....Lois and April are kinda different...

Superman doesn't need Lois's help.....

But the Turtles need April as a connection.....They need her help with things (not like they can trust many people)...same with Elisa and the Gargoyles....The Gargoyles NEED Elisa, she helps by telling them what's up with the help of her job as a cop....and since getting mixed up with the Gargoyles proves dangerous...she also has the skills to defend herself which she has done many times throughout the series.

The Turtles need April....and her being a cop would be very helpful for them. Like I said she would be able to fight and be able to keep track of all the crazy things going on in the city.

(Ignoring the whole bully cop thing....)

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 01-23-2016 at 01:25 AM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

Cops are bullies, though, soooo ignoring it because you don't think April Cop would "have to be" that way is silly. Yes she would have to be, because they all are. Again, Jobs are not Hats. For April to realistically be portrayed as a _______, she would need to have a personality that fits whatever that is. She's not a cop any more than she's a politician; she doesn't have the required Scumbag Gene for either, so you can't have her BE either of those things without changing her personality until she's a whole new character and not April. Get it?

I also seriously think you over-estimate April's importance. She's helpful. But I've never once, in any version of TMNT, gotten the feeling they'd be unable to function if she suddenly wasn't there. I think you're projecting that. She's an appendage; they'd be fine without her and It's NOT Her Story.

April is the Audience Avatar. She's the "normal person" reacting to the craziness and nonsense. Making her a reporter actually made perfect sense, because her job isn't to MAKE things happen, it's to TRANSLATE/REPORT events to the viewer/reader, either providing exposition or giving the kind of reaction we would give were we in her place That's it And that should be fine; even if she's not a reporter, she still shouldn't be put in a position to take focus away from the Turtles. Giving her ANY job where she's too much of a protagonist, and now she's a Main Character. And I don't care what anyone says, she's not SUPPOSED to be a Main Character, she's a "supporting character". She's not "The Fifth Turtle" and I wish I could find the person who came up with that nonsense in the first place, and explain to them at length why they're wrong.

But anyway, she doesn't need an "exotic" job or a job that puts her "in the middle of the action". That's not her role in the stories. "She should be a 'kick-butt' ______, because it gets her more involved!" Yeah, no, more like that's exactly why she should NOT be that, because she's become too involved in their story already, when you reach the point where you have people somehow supposing that the Turtles "Need" her. No, they don't. Their entire friendship on both sides is entirely about choice, not need. At best, she provides them with information and an occasional place to stay. That's fine. That's helpful. That also doesn't mean they couldn't function without her. April is in no way that important, in any universe.

I have no problem with April as a character. It's trying to make her too "Special", too "exotic", too involved with the Turtles story when THEY are supposed to be the focus, whether it's through her job or giving her a special ability or whatever, that I don't like. Again, that's why I liked her as a reporter in FW, in one of the few things they did I feel was an improvement over other versions. It gave her a perfect excuse to be involved "just enough", while still establishing firmly that she was a secondary character and not a protagonist.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 AM   #48
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Let me see if I can put it another way: April, as a person, is too good to be a cop.

Despite what cartoons and movies try to sell, people don't become cops to "protect people", because legally, they're not allowed to do anything in order to do so. That's not their function. Their function is, ostensibly, to penalize people only after any suspected wrongdoing has occurred. And even then, half the time they're just harassing people who "Seem suspicious." And in between, they write traffic tickets, based on a quota system designed to justify their salaries.

People typically become police officers because it's an easy path to respect; people have to treat you like a big shot, or else you might punish them for something they didn't do, because your word will always trump theirs, no matter what. Most often, they're people who didn't know what to do with themselves once they graduated high school and scoring sportsball points no longer made them a hero in the local community. So they transition from one position of false importance to another, because they have no idea how to get by if they're not making other people feel smaller and weaker than they are. They can't stuff nerds into lockers anymore, but they can still ruin someone's day by pulling them over for going 40 in a 35, potentially costing that person their only means of getting to work, and so on and so on. And now they get paid to be douchebags, instead of just doing it for free.

Cops are generally bullies and awful people, basically. Anyone who goes into a power-seeking type of job is fundamentally a bad person, because you have to be a bad person in order to want to bully, harass, and control people as a career.

I would prefer not to see April turn out that way. I frankly always saw her as being a lot better than that.
The American Police educational system is so ****ed up it's not even funny. 6 months or less in training depending on the State, and only high school graduation, maybe 2 years of College.

You basically don't even need to know the law to be a Officer of the Law...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:50 AM   #49
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The American Police educational system is so ****ed up it's not even funny. 6 months or less in training depending on the State, and only high school graduation, maybe 2 years of College.

You basically don't even need to know the law to be a Officer of the Law...
80% of the job is traffic citations, the rest is detaining people for being brown in a location where it's inconvenient. And occasionally you arrest people for drugs and then pocket the drugs for personal use later. It's not exactly a job requiring Mensa-level intelligence. Like I said, it's mostly people who became Life Losers right after high school, couldn't get into the military for one reason or other, and had no place else to throw their weight around.

I have contempt for all figures of authority but police officers are especially loathsome. At best they're "just" bullies, but usually, they're also the biggest hypocrites on Earth. Drug addicts, wife-beaters, serial-adulterers, and THE most unashamedly racist people you'd ever meet outside of a nursing home.

Yeah, I don't see any of that in April. Nor do I want to. Blech.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:52 AM   #50
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I guess this is the part where we just agree to disagree then.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #51
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, again, as I mentioned it seems more like you want your fanfic ideas to be canon, more than you're trying to think of something that would actually make sense for April as a character. It's more like you'd rather see "April" twisted around until she fits your idea. You didn't exactly try to argue or deny that, and "Well *I* think..." isn't justifying or clarifying, its just repeating the initial statement. All I and others were saying is that it's an idea that doesn't fit April whatsoever, therefore it's highly questionable.

Not trying to be mean, it's just the idea you've suggested doesn't make ANY sense at all for April's character. ANY version of April. So, either try and justify it more than, "I personally like the idea," or admit it's simply a flawed idea.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of respect for "agree to disagree". It's just a thing people say to avoid admitting they may have made a mistake. If a person can't own and justify their ideas, and isn't willing to try, then maybe they needed to give the idea more thought before putting it out there.

Nothing personal, just saying. Not trying to be mean or anything. I mean I've definitely heard way worse ideas. There's just too many things that make it not really work without changing April's entire personality, and that should never be the goal. You don't change the character to fit the story, you write the story in service to the character. That's basic.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 AM   #52
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Forgot to add, in 2k7 April was a contracted Archaeologist.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:16 AM   #53
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well, again, as I mentioned it seems more like you want your fanfic ideas to be canon, more than you're trying to think of something that would actually make sense for April as a character. It's more like you'd rather see "April" twisted around until she fits your idea. You didn't exactly try to argue or deny that, and "Well *I* think..." isn't justifying or clarifying, its just repeating the initial statement. All I and others were saying is that it's an idea that doesn't fit April whatsoever, therefore it's highly questionable.

Not trying to be mean, it's just the idea you've suggested doesn't make ANY sense at all for April's character. ANY version of April. So, either try and justify it more than, "I personally like the idea," or admit it's simply a flawed idea.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of respect for "agree to disagree". It's just a thing people say to avoid admitting they may have made a mistake. If a person can't own and justify their ideas, and isn't willing to try, then maybe they needed to give the idea more thought before putting it out there.

Nothing personal, just saying. Not trying to be mean or anything. I mean I've definitely heard way worse ideas. There's just too many things that make it not really work without changing April's entire personality, and that should never be the goal. You don't change the character to fit the story, you write the story in service to the character. That's basic.
No, I didn't make a mistake, I gave my points and I think they were valid.

but I know you aren't going to budge and have your own perfect idea of April yourself so I said agree to disagree because we both have our on view on this matter.

Also I disagree with you, I see no problem with changing a character in order for them to become a better asset to a story.

...You know what I don't like about you Leo? You think you figured everything out, you think you know what's better or something. It's a bit annoying.

Look...we are literally getting nowhere...so I think we are done.

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 01-23-2016 at 02:31 AM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:20 AM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Forgot to add, in 2k7 April was a contracted Archaeologist.
Yeah, what was up with that? "Story says so"." Meh, I don't buy it. Never previously established in any version that her character had any passion, nor even understanding, of archaeology.

I'm getting the sense that the "modern" breed of writers aren't being taught that you need to justify your creative choices. Especially when adapting someone else's work, making changes to someone else's established characters. "It's just different this time" is NEVER supposed to be a good enough reason, and yet, it's something I've seeing/hearing more and more. And it's directly opposite of everything I learned over several years of writing classes. So color me confused.

Last edited by Leo656; 01-23-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:30 AM   #55
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah, what was up with that? "Story says so"." Meh, I don't buy it. Never previously established in any version that her character had any passion, nor even understanding, of archaeology.

I'm getting the sense that the "modern" breed of writers aren't being taught that you need to justify your creative choices. Especially when adapting someone else's work, making changes to someone else's established characters. "It's just different this time" is NEVER supposed to be a good enough reason, and yet, it's something I've seeing/hearing more and more. And it's directly opposite of everything I learned over several years of writing classes. So color me confused.
Took The Antique Store And Built Upon It I Guess? Also The April Cop Thing Ill Have To Find A Way To Sell It To Ya Like Girl Scout Cookies. You Promise You Wouldn't Buy Them But then What Happen.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:37 AM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
No, I didn't make a mistake, I gave my points and I think they were valid.

but I know you aren't going to budge and have your own perfect idea of April yourself so I said agree to disagree because we both have our on view on this matter.

Also I disagree with you, I see no problem with changing a character in order for them to become a better asset to a story. That's basic.

...You know what I don't like about you Leo? You think you figured everything out, you think you know what's better or something. It's a bit annoying.

Look...we are literally getting nowhere...so I think we are done.
Wow, that escalated in a hurry. Okay, I'll bite.

You're wrong. Changing an established character to suit your story, because you don't know how to make the established character "work" is BAD WRITING. It's lazy and narcissistic. It implies you know "better", that your ideas are "better", than what's already been established. Again, I know we've both written fan works, but how many classes have you taken as far as writing goes, compared to me? I'm genuinely curious. My "opinions" are based on what I was taught by people accredited to teach the art of creative writing. Whereas - no offense - but it seems like a lot of your ideas are mostly things you personally would like to see, rather than what actually makes sense for a given storyline or set of characters.

You know what I don't like about YOU, since you decided to go there? You can never admit that you're just plain incorrect about something, and end up making things a much bigger deal than they have to be. It's more than "a bit annoying". More than a few people, not just me, explained why "April as a cop" isn't an idea that works terribly well for April The Character. You like the idea, you've argued (weakly) in favor of the idea... but it doesn't change the fact that it only works if you change April's entire personality, character, and motivations, until she isn't "April" anymore. And again, that's not how this "writing" thing is typically supposed to work. It'd be an interesting Elsewords story where "everything is different", but it doesn't work at all with what's been established for any canon version of the character or her personality/motivations. I was trying to be nice about it, as were others. You don't like being incorrect, you don't like that other people immediately saw it as a flimsy premise, so you make it all about me, like I was the only one who poked a hole in your balloon. That's petty, and it betrays your immaturity and hyper-sensitivity, that you can't handle people pointing out the logical fallacies in a simple idea. Nobody was even being mean or snarky about it. You just went and called me a dick because I explained what's wrong with your idea. Nice.

You're a nice kid, sincerely, but you need to grow up, sister. Nobody was putting you down.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #57
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
80% of the job is traffic citations, the rest is detaining people for being brown in a location where it's inconvenient. And occasionally you arrest people for drugs and then pocket the drugs for personal use later. It's not exactly a job requiring Mensa-level intelligence. Like I said, it's mostly people who became Life Losers right after high school, couldn't get into the military for one reason or other, and had no place else to throw their weight around.

I have contempt for all figures of authority but police officers are especially loathsome. At best they're "just" bullies, but usually, they're also the biggest hypocrites on Earth. Drug addicts, wife-beaters, serial-adulterers, and THE most unashamedly racist people you'd ever meet outside of a nursing home.

Yeah, I don't see any of that in April. Nor do I want to. Blech.
I guess that's what happens when the education for becoming a cop is the same as a mall security guard.

At least where I live Police School is a Bachelor/Master degree, plus you have to have pretty good grades from our "high school/Secondary School" equivalent, and pass a physical and mental exam just to be considered to enter Police School. And you have to be 20 to enroll the school, so there's plenty of time doing the Mandatory Military Service.

As for April being a cop. While I do kinda like that idea, and she could be utilized like Elisa from Gargoyles. I imagine her gun would continuously be taken away from her in combat situations against the Foot, and she'd either learn "Ninjutsu" after all or just do whatever fisticuffs she knew from her police training anyway, and then lose cause Ninjas rules the martial arts yo. Takes a ninjas to kill a ninjas.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

It would also be nice if people could have something other than a show I never watched in order to make this comparison work. I never watched Gargoyles so the idea of turning April into a version of this Elisa person holds no intrigue for me. Plus the stuff you said.

Like I said, I've heard worse ideas, for sure, definitely, but it's nonetheless way harder to make it plausible than it would be to simply do something else, something that wouldn't require turning April into a completely different person. Like you could simply take "reporter" and make it relevant in a modern setting. Like someone who runs a whistle-blowers underground blog or something. Or maybe she works in a science lab but her hobby is investigative journalism and she runs a blog dealing with "Strange Events" like sewer alligators, Bigfoot, and junk like that. I mean, again, it's less about the actual job she performs, and more about A. Does this role fit the character/motivation/personality of April as we know her, and B. Can she be effective in this role without becoming an "equal" to the Turtles or overshadowing them?

That's what it's about. If it's not organic, if you have to do too much "tinkering" to justify it, then it's just not a good fit. Like when they tried in the '70s to make Clark Kent a TV reporter. They figured, "Close enough, and plus it's Modern!" But then they realized, wait, having to be on camera constantly both makes Clark The Guy stand out way too much, but having to be on-camera in his day job at strictly-set times made it way too difficult for him to effectively function as Superman. So, inevitably, they made him a newspaper reporter again, because Why Fix What Ain't Broke, When Fixing Made It Worse?

That's about it, really.

Last edited by Leo656; 01-23-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #59
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Quote:

Let's not forget Antiques curator.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #60
srmff
Foot Soldier

I find it unfair to generalise and call all cops bullies. My neighbour is a cop and my dad has known him since he was a child. He's a lovely fellow and always helps my dad with making the silage during the summer when he has time off work. He doesn't have a sense of superiority about him either. When my brother didn't know what he wanted to become, the cop joked that if he doesn't do well in the exams, he can always become a cop. Recently I had to speak to a cop about a sensitive issue and she was very sympathetic and understanding about the situation. There is a selection process to determine if people have the necessary qualities. My cousin is waiting for the next opportunity to become a cop and he's shy and quiet but he's tall and has the build to seem intimidating. He's in no way arrogant.

Maybe I'm naive but I believe that the majority of people who go on to become a police officer, do it for the right reasons. They want to keep people safe and that requires arresting people so they don't commit more crimes. People are stopped for speeding because it can endanger their lives and others. It's not unfair. Rules are there for a reason. Of course there are going to be people that can take advantage of that power, take bribes, be corrupt, etc. but I believe that they're in the minority. That occurs in every profession. Corruption is in no way exclusive to police officers.

The idea to have April be a guard isn't that bad either. It serves a similar function as the news reporter since it allows her to know about crimes and let the turtles know about it. The problem is that she should deal with the problem rather than encouraging vigilantes to solve it. At the same time, the turtles aren't exactly vigilantes who deal with robbers and murderers but are more concerned with the Foot and don't go out looking for people to save. They fight the Foot, Kraang and mutants because they're connected to them. They feel responsible for the amount of mutants. The Foot is just targeting them. In that sense her job as a police offer doesn't serve much of a purpose. It would only cause April to have more stories about her own problems with crime and distract from the turtles. So yeah . . . the more I think about, it doesn't sound like a great idea.

I don't think April should be a cop, not because of her personality, but I don't think that her job would fit in with the turtles' lives. I mean, reporter April seemed to be very ambitious and not in the best way. In the first few episodes, it felt like she using them for a story and didn't care if it was at their expense.

Back on topic, I don't mind her powers. I don't believe her powers serve as a deus ex machina. When she brought back Splinter when he had become rat-like, the others could have done it, like the way they did when he was under the control of the Rat King. When her powers pushed over Shredder, it didn't really do anything. It wasn't like he'd do much else after killing Splinter. When she found that button using her powers in Riddles of the Ancient Aeons, the others could have found it themselves eventually. They could have found it by accident, just like they set off traps by accident.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil