The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion: S1 EP15a/15b Mind Meld/ Nothing But Truffle

Whoops forgot to do this today, I am currently sitting in Subway eating lunch after watching Captain Marvel.

1st episode today Mind Meld

Nothing But Truffle airs Next week

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Mixed on this one. Cool that Shelldon 2.0 seems to have become an actual thing and didn't die at just being a side joke from Smart Lair (albeit is just present and doesn't really play much of any part here, so it just kind of joins the show out of nowhere).

On the other hand, we're once again back to egotistical Donnie having something against his brothers and wants to change them. But at least this time he kind of learns that maybe changing them isn't so great after all. However, will he remember it or will we repeat this plot yet again? (But oh hey, ha ha, the others are all dumb and even Leo forsakes his normal smarts and focus on a mission to get distracted by a pigeon...yay? *sigh*)

But the real mystery of course is why being smart inherently makes you afraid of beach balls...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
matteso586
Stone Warrior

1) I wonder where Donnie's fear of beach balls came from. 2) How did Kendra get out of jail?
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
victory_angel
Foot Elite

This has been the most egotistical and narcissistic version of Donnie we have had in a Televised version of TMNT yet.

The most arrogant version of Donnie we've had previously was OT Donatello. In which he wanted his genius to be recognized by his companions and sensei, but also the entire world.

2k12 Donnie did have moments where he brought up his intelligence, but it was more of a cry for attention if anything else. And he isn't afraid of eating a big slice of humble pie, even when he really isn't the one at fault.

2k3 Donnie, was more humble about his gifts and carried an attitude of "I may be smarter than my brothers, but that doesn't make me better then them."

There have been quite a number of episodes dedicated to Donatello in this series or at least he has a big role in them. Often he is the cause of the problem and falls on his face because of it. But he refuses to acknowledge that he is ever at fault for whatever happened.

For example, that moment where Leo brought up that Donnie had fixed up Alberto robot for April, and it went psychotically haywire because of it. Then Donnie responds by claiming he has no memory of the event or even believing that is something he would ever do.

Other times it is others who create the problem, but he is the one who creates the object that causes the problem. Such as Sheldon 1.0 being programmed to only like and praise Donatello, but when his brothers reprogram Sheldon so that he would be more on their side. Sheldon at first only plays childish pranks, before he gets more serious and decides things would be better if Donnie was eliminated entirely.

As they say "Pride doth come before a fall" so while we have seen Donnie get a comeuppance for his arrogance at times. It is possible that he is being set up for a big fall, and this one he can't ignore or brush off.

Last edited by victory_angel; 03-10-2019 at 04:33 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Yeah I'm really not a fan of Don in this series.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You know, if Donnie's brothers are so dumb and incapable according to him...it's a bit ironic that they were completely capable of reprogramming Shelldon 1.0 to get back at him. Hmm.

Yeah, as limited as the wider storyline is in this series, I hope there is at least a little progression at some point that makes him ease up. Egotistical Donnie is wearing a bit thin.

And given the relationship he and Leo tend to have in most other versions, being the most alike and work well together, it's kind of sad that it seems nonexistent here for this set.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
You know, if Donnie's brothers are so dumb and incapable according to him...it's a bit ironic that they were completely capable of reprogramming Shelldon 1.0 to get back at him. Hmm.

Yeah, as limited as the wider storyline is in this series, I hope there is at least a little progression at some point that makes him ease up. Egotistical Donnie is wearing a bit thin.

And given the relationship he and Leo tend to have in most other versions, being the most alike and work well together, it's kind of sad that it seems nonexistent here for this set.
At least Leo didn't get zapped like Raph and Mikey did last episode, so Donnie's gotta care about him more than the other two to some extent LOL.

Does this version of Donnie have any closeness towards his bros? He seems annoyed with all three over all.

In the beginning this Donnie was pretty hilarious but now he's still funny but his character over all kind gives this high and mighty thing.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Aside from them being paired off as twins. It hasn't been openly stated that they are twins, at least not yet. We only know the two of them are 14 years old and the way they occasionally interact in the background of the episodes does suggest a fraternal twin-like relationship.

Meaning the only true thing counting them as twins would be they are the same age, they are turtles, and they both share Lou Jitsu as a biological father to an extent since his DNA was added to theirs when they mutated, but similarities stop there.

Then again there are more types of twins aside from Identical and Fraternal.

Since both Leo and Donnie are two different Species of Turtle, it would make more sense to say they are Superfecundation Twins. This is when a set of twins have the same mother, but each child is the product of a different father. Except in Leo and Donnie's case, they are were born of two different species of Turtle but have the same quasi-biological father which would be Splinter AKA Lou Jitsu.

It's certainly a different take on them being two sides of the same coin.

Last edited by victory_angel; 03-11-2019 at 03:19 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Nothing but Truffle.
I really enjoyed today's episode.
I like seeing the characters hanging out together, I do wish that the episode would have been longer and that we could have seen Mikey and Meat spending more time together.
I wonder if that's typically how long Meat keeps someones powers.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Middle of the road ep. If we're not going to bother to further a plot, well likeable dork Todd is what we need more of. lol

Wasn't crazy about Mikey being mean to him like that though... Seems strange to see Mikey kind of be that uncaring. He's the only one that hasn't really been out of typical character much in this series, so far, but if that were the angle to take, no thanks.

But the mutant tree could use more explanation for its existence...
Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
matteso586
Stone Warrior

Looks like we now know why we haven't seen Meat Sweats split into smaller copies of himself for a while.

Do personalities count as powers? Makes me picture Meat Sweats becoming a temporary mad scientist if he succeeded at devouring Donnie.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

This Donnie? Go ahead. Maybe knock that ego down a peg for a short bit.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #13
victory_angel
Foot Elite

As far a "mind meld" goes you do feel at least an iota of sympathy for him in this episode. After all, he had created a plan, he had said why the plan was important because the "Dragons Tooth" was military grade weaponry that would only spell disaster if it was in the hands of the Purple Dragons.

He even gave them all code names based on their signature colors and chess pieces.

Raph-Red King
Donnie-Purple Knight
Mikey-Orange Pawn (a name Mikey obviously didn't like do to how he reacts
Shelldon 2.0-Cyber Bishop

We don't hear Leo's other then he doesn't like it and wants to change it to something else. That means he was either called "Blue Rook" or "Blue Queen". And I wouldn't put it past this version of Donnie to give Leo the code name of "Blue Queen"

None of his brothers were taking him seriously about any of this and preferred to goof off and take pictures of a pigeon with a pizza in its beak. And naturally, when he blows up at them about how stupid they are, they ignore him.

Not that you can really blame them since a lot of his weapons and experiments do go haywire. And they do see him strutting and preening like he's the total shiznit a lot of the time. So there really isn't much for them to take seriously.

Though turning his brothers into three copies of himself only showed him how intolerable he is to live with. And how he should learn to appreciate his brothers for who they are regardless of how moronic they may be at times, they wouldn't be his brothers otherwise.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

I didn't really understand why the silver was apparently Meatsweats weakness because Raph apparently said that is the weakness of werewolves. I don't really get the connection. I guess you could say because he got powers from the mystic tree which got its powers from the shadow moon but it's kind of a stretch.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, came across a repeat of that ep and was still confused about that as well.

It's a tree monster's powers he got, maybe try a lit match instead?