The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

SAGA RETURNS - Image Comics August '16

Saga by Image Comis returns on August 31st. Anyone who isn't reading it already, I'd highly recommend it.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'll also vouch for it. Like nothing else I've ever read.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I finally read Volume 7. This was the first arc that I waited until the trade paperback to read and man that was a gut punch to read all at once. Everything was so bleak.

Based on the cover and description of the issue 43 it looks like the next arc is going to have a Western vibe. Hopefully we get some more Ghus after being absent for Volume 7.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've been thinking about giving this a read, but it's been a bit pricey for me.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I've been thinking about giving this a read, but it's been a bit pricey for me.
I'd give the libraries in your area a shot, it's worth a look. The main branch of my library system has at least the first 5 TPBs I think.

Seriously, you will enjoy this series.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I finally read Volume 7. This was the first arc that I waited until the trade paperback to read and man that was a gut punch to read all at once. Everything was so bleak.

Based on the cover and description of the issue 43 it looks like the next arc is going to have a Western vibe. Hopefully we get some more Ghus after being absent for Volume 7.
Agreed on the western vibe. I too hope we see more Ghus! Love that little guy

Sags #43 May 31st:
Spoiler:

NEW STORY ARC BEGINS FOR JUST 25 CENTS!!!

SAGA returns monthly with a brave new direction, and to celebrate Image's 25th Anniversary, this full-sized issue costs just 25 cents!

In a perfect jumping-on point for first-time readers, Hazel and her star-crossed parents embark on a thrilling new adventure at the westernmost edge of the universe.

Saga #44 June 28th:

Spoiler:

Hazel and her family search for elusive treasure: affordable healthcare.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I'd give the libraries in your area a shot, it's worth a look. The main branch of my library system has at least the first 5 TPBs I think.

Seriously, you will enjoy this series.
Yep your library is a great place to check. Mine has the first 6 volumes.

Quote:

Saga #44 June 28th:

Spoiler:
http://d2lzb5v10mb0lj.cloudfront.net.../APR170863.jpg

Hazel and her family search for elusive treasure: affordable healthcare.
I hadn't seen the cover for #44 yet. Looks like we've got another time jump. Hazel looks ~3 years older.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Huh...seems one of the Waco libraries has the first six volumes.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Huh...seems one of the Waco libraries has the first six volumes.
I sincerely hope you've checked them out, it's by far one of the best comic series I've ever read
Old 05-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

New arc starts tomorrow which BKV compared to a spaghetti western. Issue 43 is only $0.25. Some comic book stores are even giving the issue away for free tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Issue #49, Coming February 28th

Quote:
SAGA #49 - NEW STORY ARC
STORY: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN
ART / COVER: FIONA STAPLES
FEBRUARY 28 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99
The multiple Eisner Award-winning series returns with a spacefaring adventure about fake news and genuine terror. Get ready for the most shocking, most impactful chapters of SAGA yet.
Really looking forward to this
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

That's a great cover.

I never could get into this series. I read the first trade twice - first time didn't grab me, so I gave it another try later - and the second. It's weird, because everyone else loves the hell out of it and I sometimes wonder what I missed when I read it.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That's a great cover.

I never could get into this series. I read the first trade twice - first time didn't grab me, so I gave it another try later - and the second. It's weird, because everyone else loves the hell out of it and I sometimes wonder what I missed when I read it.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, may I suggest reading Chew

You know while I do love Image's libraries its a huge pain in the ass that half of the stuff I follow takes breaks for a few months, I know I sound whiny but its kinda annoying reading Deadly Class and reach a cliffhanger to only find out that its going be on hiatus for 4 months. I mean I know quality takes time but its sort of annoying
Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

It may just be different strokes. I mean, it's not like I think it's bad. It just does things that make me roll my eyes, which distracts from the emotional core of it, and I just never really connected with it. I don't know, maybe I'll give it one more try at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
may I suggest reading Chew
I love Chew. It's probably my favorite Image series. I haven't finished it, though. I think I'm six trades in, but I didn't really have the cash to get the rest in a while, so I haven't nabbed the second half yet.

Quote:
You know while I do love Image's libraries its a huge pain in the ass that half of the stuff I follow takes breaks for a few months, I know I sound whiny but its kinda annoying reading Deadly Class and reach a cliffhanger to only find out that its going be on hiatus for 4 months. I mean I know quality takes time but its sort of annoying
I feel your pain, man. It's not an Image series, but I really liked American Vampire and that series has been stop and start for years. Not as many as Saga, but they've been longer. Hell, I'm STILL waiting for another Umbrella Academy miniseries.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, may I suggest reading Chew
Quote:
I love Chew. It's probably my favorite Image series. I haven't finished it, though. I think I'm six trades in, but I didn't really have the cash to get the rest in a while, so I haven't nabbed the second half yet.
Chew is pretty good. I'm also pretty far behind, so I will probably reread everything before I worry about getting caught up since it's all finished now, right?

Quote:
It may just be different strokes. I mean, it's not like I think it's bad. It just does things that make me roll my eyes, which distracts from the emotional core of it, and I just never really connected with it. I don't know, maybe I'll give it one more try at some point.
You might have better luck starting with one of the later volumes and then going back to the beginning. The series has accumulatd a pretty interesting cast of characters over the years and I like some of them more than the core family. But at the end of the day it is always going to be a series primarily about family and that may just not be your bag.

Quote:
Quote:
I feel your pain, man. It's not an Image series, but I really liked American Vampire and that series has been stop and start for years. Not as many as Saga, but they've been longer. Hell, I'm STILL waiting for another Umbrella Academy miniseries.
OMG I feel your pain, I have been waiting for the next volume of Umbrella Academy for a decade now, wtf.

Hiatus can be really annoying but if they're regularly scheduled in order to keep them manageagle (like Saga's 6 months on, 3 months off schedule) then I don't mind. Much better than a series coming out every month of the year but then going on indefinite hiatus because the creators got burned out or behind or something.

I think reading new comic series also helps with dealing with hiatuses
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Issue #49, Coming February 28th
https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDo...8xNTExMjk2MDc5

Really looking forward to this
Really love this cover. I hate the hiatus between arcs.

What did everyone think of Volume 8? There was some cool stuff but overall I thought it was the weakest arc so far. The standalone issue on The Will was my favorite issue of the arc - I think Ianthe could be a good villain (RIP Sweet Boy).