The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
newfan
Mad Scientist

Your first music single purchase

For some of us it goes back a bit but does anyone remember their first music single (or whole album if that was your first) that they owned?

My first single was bought for me when I was a child, it was on 7inch vinyl and it was 'Live it Up' (80s)

Last edited by newfan; 10-30-2017 at 10:01 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

I was born in 1990, so it's not like I grew up in an era where buying CDs and music tapes was still a thing everyone did. Thank heavens for the internet

That being said, I bought a few Metal CDs when I was 18-19. My first one? Probably Powerslave by Iron Maiden?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

First album I bought with my own money was Ozzy Osborne Bark at the Moon on cd.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was born in 1990, so it's not like I grew up in an era where buying CDs and music tapes was still a thing everyone did. Thank heavens for the internet

That being said, I bought a few Metal CDs when I was 18-19. My first one? Probably Powerslave by Iron Maiden?
People still bought CDs throughout the 90's .... just not children.. Anyway, for those lucky enough to be young, downloaded first purchase counts too

Last edited by newfan; 10-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

First album I bought with my own money was The Transplants' self-titled debut. Still one of my all time favorites, too. A solid blend of punk rock & hip-hop, with elements of other underground genres scattered throughout.

If nothing else, most folks would recognize this song, as 10 years after it came out it started getting play in shampoo commercials & stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm pretty sure the first cassette tape I ever bought with my own money was Stevie Wonder - In the Square Circle.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I think it was around 1995/96 when I first got a Discman. So whatever popular music from that time was probably my first. I remember not having a lot of money at that age. But you could buy CDs with only a few songs on them. So music was somewhat affordable to a kid. The CD was packaged in a cardboard sleeve and not the standard plastic case. It would have been something pop, rap, country and alternative music. Maybe even a soundtrack or two.

I also recorded a lot of music onto tapes as I would listen to the radio. Mostly metal and alternative music. I would stop the tape during the advertisements and it wasn't easy knowing when to press record again. So sometimes the intro to the first song after a break would be cut off.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I think it was around 1995/96 when I first got a Discman. So whatever popular music from that time was probably my first. I remember not having a lot of money at that age. But you could buy CDs with only a few songs on them. So music was somewhat affordable to a kid. The CD was packaged in a cardboard sleeve and not the standard plastic case. It would have been something pop, rap, country and alternative music. Maybe even a soundtrack or two.

I also recorded a lot of music onto tapes as I would listen to the radio. Mostly metal and alternative music. I would stop the tape during the advertisements and it wasn't easy knowing when to press record again. So sometimes the intro to the first song after a break would be cut off.
The days of people recording from the radio, I like where we are now with technology better
Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote