The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Ryona

Exclamation Revamped with some new goodies

Hello hello! For those who don't know me, I'm Ryona. I'm not new, but I haven't posted for so long that I might as well be. haha!

For those who do remember me, a hardy cowabunga and goongala to you all.
I've wandered to the far corners of the Internet, and decided to return to my roots... The Technodrome.

...Actually KROW invited me to his group, which got me posting here again, so you know who to kill now. lol

Anyway, I'm actually pretty excited to be back. Things have been so stagnant for a while that life got pretty boring.
But there's been some changes as of late, including my past girlfriend and I getting back together again (yeah, I'm a bisexual woman. Deal with it), so I'm in a particularly cheery mood! Decided that getting active in the Technodrome again would also add to the feeling of renewed life.
And with the true meaning and symbolism of Halloween (according to its Pagan roots), it's just about the right time for new beginnings.

So, that all said, here's some goodies!
This is an old project of mine which I picked up again not too long ago. Did a hell of alot of editing along with adding some new stuff. And what I'm showing here is just a portion of the project.
Incase you haven't guessed it, I'm making a videogame.
Let me know what you think. ..Like, what you really think. No need to sugar-coat it. I'm looking for constructive critisism. I want to do the best I can with this project, so tell me what YOU think I can improve on and what I could add or change.

Oh, and all these graphics are made by me pixel by pixel on MS Paint. ... which is a loooong process. So please, if you want to use my sprite work for anything, don't just rip them. Please ask me first. I'm usually totally cool with people using my artwork as long as I know what they're going to do with it.

And here's a chibi Benvenuto for the fun of it! haha

Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Wow yeah your like the third member to pop out of no where whose been gone awhile. Welcome back! I see you still have a knack for sprite work. Very cool stuff, I like the Pizza Monster. The muscle tone you're adding is nice too.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Ryona

Thanks for the welcome, and glad you like my schtuff, Spitfire.

Yup, there's a Pizza Monster there. And just so people know, the other characters (starting from top-left of the small crowd) are Splinter, April, Casey, Irma, Vernon, Leatherhead, and a multi-colored bunch of Foot soldiers below, plus the Pizza Monster.

The story is heavily based on the original animated series and has added characters and features from other universes such as the 2k3 series, as well as some new stuff I threw in.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Wow, didn't expect to see you around again; nice to have you back.

I've followed your sprite work since its early stages so I can really see a lot of improvement. I can tell you've become more comfortable with the method and it's most obvious in the large weapon sprites, particularly the sai and katana - I know metal is a bitch to shade and I can honestly say you've done a very impressive job.

However, since you say you're looking for constructive crits, I'll try and give you some advice.

First of all, your shading has greatly improved and the updated Leonardo portrait is leaps and bounds above the older version. However, your sprites will stand out more if you increase the contrast between individual shades. Try to use really dark colors to add outlines and tones; this will create an illusion of depth (the pink on your April's (?) jumpsuit for example looks pretty flat and would really 'pop' if you'd up the contrast). The ideal number of shades per color is around 3 or 4 (the less shades you have, the cleaner your sprite will be), and if you use sufficient contrast you can make those go a long way (you've already done a great job at this on the weapon sprites).

Furthermore, another trick you can use is to play around with warm and cold colors. Try to make lighter shades 'warmer' (add hints of yellow, red, etc.) and more saturated, and darker shades 'colder' (hints of blue, purple, etc.) and less saturated. This will give your sprites a more pleasing and natural look, and it will make a world of difference. You can already see an example of this on the little Benvenuto sprite, where the lightest shade of green contains hints of yellow, which really makes the skin color stand out.

Anyway, these are just some general tips and you just have to experiment and play around a bit and have fun. Again, you've already improved a lot and I'm sure you will continue to do so. Be sure to post more of your work in the future, I'd love to see how it develops.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Why do they throw fireballs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryona View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and glad you like my schtuff, Spitfire.

Yup, there's a Pizza Monster there. And just so people know, the other characters (starting from top-left of the small crowd) are Splinter, April, Casey, Irma, Vernon, Leatherhead, and a multi-colored bunch of Foot soldiers below, plus the Pizza Monster.

The story is heavily based on the original animated series and has added characters and features from other universes such as the 2k3 series, as well as some new stuff I threw in.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Ryona

Ah! Thank you, Mecha Cow! Just what the doctor ordered.
I totally hear ya on the shading and color tips. I'll touch them up as you've advised.
I'm really glad you're pleased with my graphics. Coming from a fellow pixel-artist, that's a great compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J 1982 View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about what Mikey is throwing. It's not a fireball. It's a power-charged shuriken he's throwing. Look more closely at the shape.

And yes, I know, the TMNT don't normally do powered-up ki-based attacks (though they did in the 2k3 series after their training with the Ninja Tribunal).
I just wanted to add some pizzazz to their moves. I mean hell, if the TMNT Tournament Fighters videogame series was allowed some leeway and have TMNT characters able to hurl waves and bolts of energy, than by Gandhi, I'll allow it too.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
...Actually KROW invited me to his group, which got me posting here again, so you know who to kill now. lol
Why would I kill KROW for giving me another way to pester you?

I've always felt your works were amazing. I only wish I could have even a smidgen of that talent while working on my game.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Gotta say, Chibi Irma and Vernon make me chuckle.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Ryona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
I've always felt your works were amazing. I only wish I could have even a smidgen of that talent while working on my game.

Yeah, I know, I've been born gifted. But don't spread that around. I don't want Sylar coming after me and ripping my head open.

Sylar - "Your artistic abilities will be mine!"

Ryona - "eep!"
Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I've been born gifted. But don't spread that around. I don't want Sylar coming after me and ripping my head open.

Sylar - "Your artistic abilities will be mine!"

Ryona - "eep!"
Y'know, I would mention something about Sylar's change-of-heart, but after last Monday's episode, it might end up being moot.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Fun stuff. The chibis are pretty neat.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

Hey Ryona, you should post your Game Boy-ish sprites, as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
Mutated Turtle
Stone Warrior

cool can you make a video game? that would be awsome
Mutated Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutated turtle View Post
cool can you make a video game? that would be awsome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryona
Incase you haven't guessed it, I'm making a videogame.
Reading is your friend.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior

Howdy! Nice to meet'cher acquaintance and by the way - them's some right nice sprites!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
Ryona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
Hey Ryona, you should post your Game Boy-ish sprites, as well.
Alright, since you twisted my arm... lol

I wasn't going to because it's not TMNT-related, but for the sake of giving the public more pixel-art goodness, here's my other videogame project I'm working on.

This one I'm deliberantly trying to make it look like a legitimate classic Gameboy game, right down to the screen resolution and its meek four-tone graphics.
Plus every object in the game is made with three or less tones (the fourth tone being used as the transparency around the object).

The inspiration behind this game came from a classic Gameboy game titled 'Ninja Gaiden Shadow'. Possibly my most favorite GB game.

The story takes place in the near future in a new city built on a man-made island which is owned by a powerful criminal who will be the antagonist of our hero.

The protagonist is an impressively skilled and powerful woman-ninja who fights to free the city and its inhabitants from constant harm.

Her name is Synthia, and I've deliberantly designed her appearance for sex-appeal because it's just fun. So sue me. lol
No doubt will her eye-candy appearance be adored by many fanboys and fangirls in the near future when this game becomes big *crosses fingers*.

Anyway, enough blah, blah, blah from me. Let me know what you all think of this project too.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

And thus, part of my soul has been restored.

No idea how much I missed you, Ryona. No idea.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
Ryona

Aww, I've missed ya too, Ben! ^_^

...Now tell me what you think of my art, damnit! lol
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Well, besides needing more cowbell , your artwork is better than ever. You haven't missed a beat.

I especially enjoy the 'Scene V- Prey on Pred' picture, but then again, that's kinda expected.

Those scenes are very Ninja Gaiden-esque, so extra kudos.

Chibi Ben, ftw.

And don't worry, I'll give KROW a good killing, once he finishes his Russian tank driver's test.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Raven
follower of Jesus

Holy crap! Your back!!!

Nice to see your back with more fun art. now my only question is what have you been drawing? I WANT TO SEE THEM

No really, its good to see another artist that really made this place fun come back! Hope to see a bunch of stuff from you!

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan game, sprites