The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Neato, looking at the figure I cannot help, but wonder if instead of skin if it was originally supposed to be black to match the pants. Is there any other figure that looks nothing like the actual cartoon character?
There could be a lot of explainations for this. One possiblity is that, yes, he was meant to wear a skin tight top but that detail got lost somehow.

Another one is that the toy's design wasn't quite hammered out when they started production of the show, so Shredder ended up resembling an earlier design in the show.

What I think is the most likely explaination however, is that they're different takes on the comic design. The show actually takes fewer liberties with how Shredder originally looked, only really adding color and a cape. If you compare the show and the toy to the comic, you'll see that the cape is really the only deviation the show and toy share. The cape was proably meant to give the toy another accessory for kids to play with, and so it was a demand from Playmates that he needed to look more or less like the comic except a cape. I guess it went down something like this:

"Look, Freddie, we're gonna use that comic to base them toys on, ya' see? Just make 'em mo' or less look like da comic. Just pick da colors we want, put letters on they'se belts and put a cape on da cheese grater."
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

In the TMNT Adventures, he wears it even in the desert of Saudi Arabia.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #23
pferreira
Foot Elite

I'm sure there were many scenes with Shredder going to sleep without having his armour on but y'know when you're on the job you have to look presentable, it's as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Neato, looking at the figure I cannot help, but wonder if instead of skin if it was originally supposed to be black to match the pants. Is there any other figure that looks nothing like the actual cartoon character?
Only neatoman finds this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Shredder is clever. That's a good way to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That one episode where he used a hologram device to make him look like he's just wearing regular clothes... when he could have just taken the armor off.
That brings a slightly scary thought that while in hologram he was actually walking around naked.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
Overlord

[QUOTE=pferreira;1748152]I'm sure there were many scenes with Shredder going to sleep without having his armour on but y'know when you're on the job you have to look presentable, it's as simple as that. /QUOTE]

There weren't many scenes with Shredder sleeping at all.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #25
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
There weren't many scenes with Shredder sleeping at all.
Dude, you're in a massive alien battle tank commanded by an alien from another dimension. His whole army of rock soldiers are waiting to invade planet Earth. Your colleagues are a rhino and a warthog, you use an interdimensional portal that splits your atoms apart to allow you travel to another planet or if you're lucky you use a a carriage with a massive drill attachment to get deep underground through lava. You also must contend with four mutant turtles who are teens along with their master who's a giant rat continually foiling your plans. I would get a bit of insomnia myself.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
And, yet he wasn't wearing the helmet, which was weird.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I'm pretty sure something as silly as the OT would dare show Shredder sleeping in his armor, with pijamas over it or such nonsense.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #28
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
And, yet he wasn't wearing the helmet, which was weird.
I guess the reason was to slowly reveal the armour under his disguisse at the end of the first of those issues.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I think it's weirder though, that Mirage Shredder (or the undead worm abomination version thereof) took off his armor to duel with Leonardo in "Return to New York". It was a cool dramatic sequence, but removing one's armor is the opposite of preparing for a battle.

And, if he didn't want his armor on (for whatever reason) why did he wait for Leo to show up before he took it off?

It's like he was sitting there for hours thinking "as soon as one of those turtles gets here, I'm going to make him watch me take my armor off, and it'll look cool and bad-ass! Who cares if it makes sense?"

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 03-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #30
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
I think it's weirder though, that Mirage Shredder (or the undead worm abomination version thereof) took off his armor to duel with Leonardo in "Return to New York". It was a cool dramatic sequence, but removing one's armor is the opposite of preparing for a battle.

And, if he didn't want his armor on (for whatever reason) why did he wait for Leo to show up before he took it off?

It's like he was sitting there for hours thinking "as soon as one of those turtles gets here, I'm going to make him watch me take my armor off, and it'll look cool and bad-ass! Who cares if it makes sense?"
Maybe the armor slowed him down and he wanted to fight Leonardo at his most fastest yet most vulnerable.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #31
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
You know, I was more bothered by 2012 Shredder always wearing his armor than the 1987 Shredder. Shredder was a businessman in the 2012 series. Seems he would only put on his armor when he has to fight or just feels like wearing it around the house...erm...lair. Doing business in the armor just looked stupid to me.
2k12 Shredder was also hideously disfigured. Maybe he had self image problems?

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
2k12 Shredder was also hideously disfigured. Maybe he had self image problems?
I'm sure I remember him telling Splinter it was his fault, or because of him that he had to wear the mask, (referring to scars I assume) can't remember the exact words he used though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #33
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The show actually takes fewer liberties with how Shredder originally looked, only really adding color and a cape. If you compare the show and the toy to the comic, you'll see that the cape is really the only deviation the show and toy share. The cape was proably meant to give the toy another accessory for kids to play with, and so it was a demand from Playmates that he needed to look more or less like the comic except a cape. I guess it went down something like this:

"Look, Freddie, we're gonna use that comic to base them toys on, ya' see? Just make 'em mo' or less look like da comic. Just pick da colors we want, put letters on they'se belts and put a cape on da cheese grater."
It's not really a deviation Shredder wore a cape in the comics before the toy.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #34
ryukenden
Hench Mutant

It was rather silly that Shredder never took his armor off in the OT even when in disguise. I think he should only have it on when he personally leads a mission or when he has to fight.
ryukenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:10 AM   #35
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
It's not really a deviation Shredder wore a cape in the comics before the toy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zAWvPEzuQ8...s400/Leo07.jpg
Huh, nicely spotted! Kind of hard to remember something that only occurs for two panels on a single page, one far away and the other in shadow.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #36
leotony
Random Punk

I was watching a youtube video the other day of someones TMNT toy collection and the guy had a custom made grey shirt on shredder, along with the original purple cape.
It actually looked pretty neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCffc0X-jA
leotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #37
dawwe
Foot Soldier

Quote:
In the original series and TMNT Adventures, Shredder wears his armour, mask and helmet almost all the time. Is that lazy animation or what?

I think it's stupid Shredder not taking these off when he doesn't fight. He spends a lot of time in the Technodrome, where he isn't attacked unless he doesn't have a plot and the turtles infiltrate.
I'm guessing they had him wear it almost all the time to make it easier for the kids to recognize the character.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Because he's a supervillain
This. And it looks cool, tbh. Like a shogun. Especially 2k3's Shredder.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #39
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawwe View Post
I'm guessing they had him wear it almost all the time to make it easier for the kids to recognize the character.
But if he is inside the Technodrome with Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, recognizing him isn't a big deal...
Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
But if he is inside the Technodrome with Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, recognizing him isn't a big deal...
Cartoon characters tend to only have one outfit only. April was always wearing(except in the Red Sky episodes and a few other exceptions) that yellow jumpsuit of hers, which leads us to believe she never washed it... which really says something since she went in the sewers very often. Yuck

It's basically less work for the animators. Characters have their trademark look and that's what they present/sell them as. You see Shredder in his armour and helmet all the time and that makes you want to buy his action figure more.

Interestingly, it seems anime/manga characters change their outfit way more often than American cartoon characters do. Dunno why they go the extra mile to do that, but it's nice to see how creative they can get with the new outfits and clothes they give characters throughout a series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredder