The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Reboot in the Works With Joss Whedon

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.
LOL, of course.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Ugh. I really hoped this wouldn't happened. No way can this top the original.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

*Takes Breathe In*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

WHY DOES HE KEEP GETTING WORK?! MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP WORKING FOR HIM? MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHY DOES THIS THING EXIST?!

JUST ..... WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

*Takes Breathe out*

Okay, I-I think ... I'm done ....
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
*Takes Breathe In*

WHY DOES HE KEEP GETTING WORK?! MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP WORKING FOR HIM? MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHY DOES THIS THING EXIST?!

*Takes Breathe out*

I honestly can't tell if you're more upset about the fact that they're rebooting Buffy, or just triggered by Whedon's involvement...

Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
I honestly can't tell if you're more upset about the fact that they're rebooting Buffy, or just triggered by Whedon's involvement...
id say triggered by whedon. she doesn't like him.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Well I have lost all interest in this one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just find it amusing the first thing they decide in a Buffy reboot is to make her black. Like that was their first thought, just to change Buffy's race.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I’m not sure about this reboot, though it’s probably best to wait and see what it’s like first.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Kiiiind of wish we were getting a Fray tv show instead.

That's said, a reboot might not be terrible.
The show hasn't aged particularly well in some regards, and if we could avoid tripping in the same places, it has the potential to be quite good.

But, that would require Whedon to have learned from his mistakes, and not draw entirely from the same well.
And I don't know that he's got that in him.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 07-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.
Ah, yes, virtue signaling at its finest.
Just what Whedon needs to wash away his horrible crimes and sins in front progressive audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
*Takes Breathe In*

*Takes Breathe out*

This looks like a parody.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Kiiiind of wish we were getting a Fray tv show instead.
You said it, brother. I'd take an alternate timeline Faith the Vampire Slayer with Eliza while you're at it.

I've said in a few other threads I expected a reboot to be announced within the next 2 years tops so this is no surprise. I expected Whedon to be more involved than they're implying, though. After everything that Joss has gone through in the last few years I thought a Buffy reboot/spinoff would be the first thing he did to win back some fans. But it seems he's just giving the go ahead and watching others run the show. Oh well. I'll give it a season and a half but I won't get my hopes up.

I feel bad for Whedon, man. It was only 6 years ago that The Avengers came out and everyone was singing his praise. A few politcal tweets, box office "bombs" (though AoU was a financial success), and an alleged affair and everyone is out for blood.

When someone asks Joss why he's so glum these days he'd respond similar to Wesley in Angel..

Gunn: What happened to you, man?
Wesley: I had my throat cut and all my friends abandoned me.

I mean, look at the facts.

Age of Ultron was a financial success, but had a lukewarm reception. He's been pretty vocal of the heavy studio interference during Age of Ultron, and even he's not happy with the movie. So I don't really fault him for that, but already people were calling him a hack.

Then DC hires him for the impossible task of trying to fix Snyder's Justice League in exchange to let him write and direct a Batgirl movie. He does what he can, but he was doomed to fail from the start; the universe itself is beyond repair and you can only do so much with reshoots.

So when Justice League doesn't make big bank like the idiots at DC/WB expected it to, someones gotta take the axe. A couple words from Patty Jenkins being upset she wasn't "consulted" by Joss about how he wrote Wonder Woman and poof - goodbye Whedon and goodbye Batgirl. DC only has one universally praised hit and they'll do whatever they have to to keep Patty happy.

As far as the political tweets go - I just don't care Oooooooh someone has a strong opinion about some politicians! How shocking! Get over yourselves. You feel just as passionaite about your side of the argument - at the end of the day, we're just people at a sports game shouting at the other team and hoping yours comes out on top. Stop taking everything so personally.

Then the affair happens (amidst the #metoo movement of all things) and he's painted like a womanizer - even though the only official word about it comes from his jaded ex-wife while Whedon did the classy thing and refused to comment. I'm not saying he didn't cheat on her - I'm totally willing to bet he did - but we literally know nothing about the ins and outs of their relationship. We can't begin to come close to painting a full picture of what happened, but as I said, people are out for blood. So now he's a womanizing man-whore

And now people are retroactively picking through works they used to love to say SEE?! SEEEEE?!!! LOOK!! HE'S A MISOGYNIST!

So yeah, I think Joss was delt alot of raw bones in the last few years. It's all good though. He's got a networth of around $100 million, so, he'll be fine. Looking forward to The Nevers.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
Sumac
Banned

It's sad that some hysterical idiots are out there for blood just for presumed (not even proved in this case) wrongdoings.

I actually wonder, how long should it take for those people to actually forgive those who did something wrong?

And if those people are treated like horrible monsters just for saying or doing something unsavory, what those deplorable activists think about actual criminals - thieves, murderers, rapists? Should be they forgiven or should they just be shot? Because, otherwise their logic is hypocritical and idiotic.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Turns out it won't actually be a reboot, but a spin off with a new Slayer: http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/96...unner-confirms

Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I just find it amusing the first thing they decide in a Buffy reboot is to make her black. Like that was their first thought, just to change Buffy's race.
True. Like, before any inkling on story or direction... "The Slayer's gotta be black!"

I don't really mind, though. We had Kendra Young, didn't we? I'll probably check it out. I'd way rather have a "Faith the Vampire Slayer" series, though, like Krutch. Even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I feel bad for Whedon, man. It was only 6 years ago that The Avengers came out and everyone was singing his praise. A few politcal tweets, box office "bombs" (though AoU was a financial success), and an alleged affair and everyone is out for blood.
One has only to peek at his Twitter to see how crazed and hate-filled he's become. I tend to blame a combination of the affair with the failure of "Justice League." He could have the reveal about the affair OR the "Justice League" failure... but not both of these things at the same time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

Spin off set later on may actually be better than a complete remake. New title I assume then.
I was very into Buffy back in it's time, though my enthusiasm has faded since I might give it a look.

Wonder if they'll mention Buffy in this.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
And now people are retroactively picking through works they used to love to say SEE?! SEEEEE?!!! LOOK!! HE'S A MISOGYNIST!

So yeah, I think Joss was delt alot of raw bones in the last few years. It's all good though. He's got a networth of around $100 million, so, he'll be fine. Looking forward to The Nevers.
The antipathy towards Joss Whedon goes back a while, and it certainly goes back way farther then his Fall From Grace.

I love his work, flawed as both it in he are, but even I will say that at one point he started drinking his own Kool-Aid. That's the sort of thing that never turns out well.

so when the time came for everyone to notice that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothing, he got hit with the one-two punch of people who we're already done with him and looking for a schadenfreude, as well as those who held him on way to high a pedestal.

I'm really fond of his dialogue, problematic as it is at times. I don't think Buffy has aged particularly well, in spite of the fact that it's a show that really change the face of American genre television.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Wesley
Mad Scientist

A spin-off sounds like a good idea, though I wonder what the spinoff is going to be called. The original series is one of my favourite tv shows, though it has a lot of flaws.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I don't think Buffy has aged particularly well, in spite of the fact that it's a show that really change the face of American genre television.
I worry about that, too, though I'm sure probably not for the reasons I'm guessing you're thinking of. I've been meaning to do a rewatch of it all for a while now. It seemed very much tied to the era it came out in, with all the pop songs to boot, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
A spin-off sounds like a good idea, though I wonder what the spinoff is going to be called.
It'll be "B________ the Vampire Slayer." Bashonda or whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

Can't they drop the name and just call it Slayer or something?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
papenbrook hates whedon