The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

I went to a movie theatre for the first time in months.

On June 24th 2020, the biggest movie theatre chain in Sweden (Filmstaden) opened up again. As a consequence of corona crap, they're obviously not debuting new movies and several seats did not get tickets sold for. Thus, the movie I ended up seeing was Empire Strikes back and noticed entire rows empty and two seat gaps. The funny thing is that because of this, there were empty seats and I still ended up getting a lousy seat, simply because the few good ones that weren't banned were already taken. I was seriously tempted to just take one of the banned seats, the fact that someone might have complained is what kept me from doing so. The movie itself... Well, I think you've seen it. About the only new things I can say is that I finally noticed that Han tried to fix a control panel above a door by hitting the doorframe, and that Yoda forgot to shave off the far left side of his moustache. The miracles of the big screen!
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Damn, I can't even remember the last thing I saw in theaters now. "Joker", I think? Almost certainly that was it.

I never saw "Empire" or "Jedi" on the big screen. Just the '97 reissue of "A New Hope". It was the first time anyone had seen the "Special Editions" so as you can imagine, a bunch of nerds were whispering/heckling anytime any of the new footage showed up.

Everybody popped huge for the redone Death Star explosion, though. Don't let anybody tell you different.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
TommyT
Banned

How appropriate. You chanced catching Covid to watch a 40 year old movie staring, ironically, a man who can't breath without a ventilator.

In a few weeks you might actually get to know what that feels like first hand.
Brilliant.

Last edited by TommyT; 06-25-2020 at 06:52 AM.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya this was pointless. Cant tell if theater topic or just complaining about safety precautions.

Theres people protesting masks here. Wearing a piece fabric is apparently a gigantic inconvenience. probably the same people who dont wear coats during winter.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Damn, I can't even remember the last thing I saw in theaters now. "Joker", I think? Almost certainly that was it.

I never saw "Empire" or "Jedi" on the big screen. Just the '97 reissue of "A New Hope".
True story, my brother threw a massive fit when we all went to see that, he had his sights set on Space Jam. Even wrote 'New Hope SUX' on a sticker label on my comic book boxes.

He went on to love Star Wars of course. He only hates it now.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
TommyT
Banned

The fun part is when people around him start dying because he was selfish.

Great story.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

I never saw "Empire" or "Jedi" on the big screen. Just the '97 reissue of "A New Hope". It was the first time anyone had seen the "Special Editions" so as you can imagine, a bunch of nerds were whispering/heckling anytime any of the new footage showed up.

Everybody popped huge for the redone Death Star explosion, though. Don't let anybody tell you different.
For some reason this is the only one of the old Star Wars movies they're showing. Not sure why, they're showing all of the Dark Knight trilogy. I'm not sure which version it is either, it does have Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor and the windows on Bespin, so it has to be 1997 onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
How appropriate. You chanced catching Covid to watch a 40 year old movie staring, ironically, a man who can't breath without a ventilator.

In a few weeks you might actually get to know what that feels like first hand.
Brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ya this was pointless. Cant tell if theater topic or just complaining about safety precautions.

Theres people protesting masks here. Wearing a piece fabric is apparently a gigantic inconvenience. probably the same people who dont wear coats during winter.
Quote:
The fun part is when people around him start dying because he was selfish.

Great story.
The point is that this is first time the theatre is open at all for like three or four months. And that is what it was like going into the theatre. I just wanted to point out how unusual it felt. If the theatre is open and they're taking
precautions, it's probably safe enough by now.

And I don't know the full story on what it's like where you live. It's just that over here, people have just kind of stopped caring. Busses fill up, supermarkets fill up, restaurants fill up, hair saloons fill up, etc.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
TommyT
Banned

Post your doctoral degree, and I’ll agree with you. If you have a deep understanding of infectious diseases, and years of working with corona viruses, you are certainly qualified to speak about “probably safe enough”.

Given you’re on a ninja turtles chat board, I’ll double down on not f’kn qualified to make any determination about the safety of what you did.

The theatres are not opening because it’s safe, kid. They’re desperate to make money, and could give a **** if you kick as a result.

You’re life, to them, is worth the price of admission. You about 12$. That’s your worth. Think about that.

Kill Grandma if you like, but make sure to tell the fam it was because you knew better than everybody else.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Post your doctoral degree, and I?ll agree with you. If you have a deep understanding of infectious diseases, and years of working with corona viruses, you are certainly qualified to speak about ?probably safe enough?.

Given you?re on a ninja turtles chat board, I?ll double down on not f?kn qualified to make any determination about the safety of what you did.

Kill Grandma if you like, but make sure to tell the fam it was because you knew better than everybody else.
I'm just making observations on what businesses have decided to do, not stating facts about what's actually safe, geez. And my grandma died years ago.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I thought Canadians were supposed to be jolly?

Old 06-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I thought Canadians were supposed to be jolly?
Eh, he's banned now, won't stink up the place anymore. There is this Canadian guy working at my LCS, pretty decent guy.

Anyway, a place that had been closed for months reopened with some restrictions and I went in. They limited their tickets to 25% of the maximum capicity for this, it's not like they resumed normal business here. I don't think it should be seen as a big deal.

I'm getting the feeling it's a bit different in Canada and the US, if you saw the buses and subway trains here, I doubt you'd consider this partial reopening of movie theatre's to be a very big health risk by comparison.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

My gut tells me that most people are ready to give "herd immunity" the ol' college try.

I mean, come October when "regular" cold and flu season hits and people start sneezing and coughing as always, there's gonna be a few weeks of mass panic all over again, anyway. And probably another "lockdown" period as well.

Might as well make hay while the sun shines, and all that, I guess.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm planning to mask up to go see Nolan's Tenet when it hits theaters.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:13 AM   #14
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Not trying to turn this into another Coronavirus topic although thats basically what it is I guess. Anyway, things reopening do not mean things are better. Its just things cannot stay closed for months and months.

Im not saying business owners only care about our money but things being open does not mean anything in terms of the virus level.

Its up to everyone to decide how serious theyre gonna take it. Arizona is one the worst hit states at the moment but even if it was low I would not go. Youre not obligated to go out.

Many people are not taking it seriously at all. Many do not wear masks and seem to going about their lives as if nothing has changed. Its sad and aggravating.

Theres no reason to expose myself and others any more than I need. Food and necessities are already a risk. I could have it right now. Thats a scary thought.

I hardly goto the theater anyway. Im glad Ghostbusters 3 was delayed. Its the only thing I wanted to see bad enough after Sonic. I hope to see it in theaters. I hope theres real improvement. A vaccine is still probably way off though.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:36 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm planning to mask up to go see Nolan's Tenet when it hits theaters.
Won't be any choice here in WA. But I'll be there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:51 AM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

I noticed on twitter today that Tenet is now pushed to August 12th, not sure if you guys already knew that though.

Wonder Woman is not till October so I have time to see what everything is like then I guess. Theatures open next month but I'll be holding off.

Last edited by newfan; 06-26-2020 at 03:00 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

The last movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars Episode 9 and I probably won't see anything else for about 2+ years in theaters.

Now that movies come out on streaming only like 3 months after they leave theaters, I'm perfectly content with waiting. I'm not going to see Black Widow in theaters most likely, or the James Bond film assuming they do come out this year in the fall.

I remember back in the old days it took like 8-9 months for movies to come out on VHS/DVD or whatever after they left theaters. Now it feels like movies come out on streaming only 3-4 months after theaters. The wait time has been reduced considerably so now I just watch movies online.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I noticed on twitter today that Tenet is now pushed to August 12th, not sure if you guys already knew that though.

Wonder Woman is not till October so I have time to see what everything is like then I guess. Theatures open next month but I'll be holding off.
I knew the July 31st release date was tentative. WB just seemed to be catering to Nolan's desire. Makes me a little worried if his excitement for the film's release and the rereleasing of Inception (the movie turns 10 this July) are taking over his priorities. A delay to August was obvious.

I'm expecting Mulan to get pushed back as well especially since no one knows when China's theaters will reopen. Once it does, the few movies scheduled for a July release should follow suit.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 06-26-2020 at 08:02 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I knew the July 31st release date was tentative. WB just seemed to be catering to Nolan's desire. Makes me a little worried if his excitement for the film's release and the rereleasing of Inception (the movie turns 10 this July) are taking over his priorities. A delay to August was obvious.

I'm expecting Mulan to get pushed back as well especially since no one knows when China's theaters will reopen. Once it does, the few movies scheduled for a July release should follow suit.
They've been open:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...us-1234602534/

And Nolan's priorities in terms of what? We'll have been in lockdown for about 5 months by the time of Tenet. At a certain point we have to reopen shop. Take reasonable precautions, sure.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Supposedly, Nolan wanted to release his new film within July but WB wanted to push it back later than that month. Sorry, I'm thinking about when my theater will reopen since I work there.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 06-26-2020 at 12:20 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote