The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #581
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Just finished reading mine from IDW app.

Really digging the story, reminds me of The Dark Knight Returns style. I’m so happy seeing April again and she’s still sporting her signature yellow color.

Instead of being spoonfed information by a narrator or first person, I like how Mikey talks with his dead brothers in his mind providing context to the story (reminds me of Arkham Knight where Batman kept talking with dead Joker). It gives us readers some interactive dialogue like siblings teasing and bantering. It works very well and really kicks in that reminiscence feeling. Mikey is my fav turtle and I’m glad he’s the last survivor but boy do I miss the other turtles too.

Can’t wait for the next issue. I think we have something truly special here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
At the moment of this post, the book is #1 seller in Amazon Graphic Novel section. Pretty crazy, if you ask me.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...text/156107011

Edit: Issue #2 is hovering at spot #4. Wow, am I reading this correctly?
3 days and it’s still #1 on top of the list. That’s great news.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #582
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

What if they are also testing the waters a bit with this comic? See if it sells well and perhaps oneday realize "Hey a dark and edgy Turtle comics actually work" and we'll get a darker version of a TMNT comic?

IDW could be dark aswell
Spoiler:
Shredder stabbing Casey Jones, Donatello's "death" with a broken shield, and just Shredder in general had a very creepy vibe to him, and the whole Slash thing in general was pretty creepy at times
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #583
AquaParade
Banned

Sophie, your variant cover for issue #2 looks fantastic. At the time of drawing, did you know it was Mikey? I'm guessing IDW played it safe by not giving away the name of the character to every variant artist, but I am curious nonetheless.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #584
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
What if they are also testing the waters a bit with this comic? See if it sells well and perhaps oneday realize "Hey a dark and edgy Turtle comics actually work" and we'll get a darker version of a TMNT comic?

IDW could be dark aswell
Spoiler:
Shredder stabbing Casey Jones, Donatello's "death" with a broken shield, and just Shredder in general had a very creepy vibe to him, and the whole Slash thing in general was pretty creepy at times
The very first TMNT comic was dark and edgy and went to reprints many times when it first launched from what I read. That’s what the fans want.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #585
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
The very first TMNT comic was dark and edgy and went to reprints many times when it first launched from what I read. That’s what the fans want.
I know about Mirage, but todays TMNT comic (IDW) isn't as dark and i don't think we'll ever get a new comic with more edge and blood.
Today TMNT is more focused on kids and young adults, not people who grew up with the TMNT in the 80s sadly... its just changed now.
Hopefully this comic will change it.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #586
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Anyway, I saw someone who assumed the stuff with Lita being a time traveller would be sort of a tie-in to this, but I take it the two stories are totally unrelated if you're not aware of where this one is going?
No, totally unrelated.

Quote:
Sophie, your variant cover for issue #2 looks fantastic. At the time of drawing, did you know it was Mikey? I'm guessing IDW played it safe by not giving away the name of the character to every variant artist, but I am curious nonetheless.
Thanks! That was super fun to draw. I knew it was Mikey pretty early on, yeah. I have the inside hook-up, Bobby and Tom will tell me if I ask, but I also like to wait and read the finished book.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #587
CyberCubed
Overlord

I kinda wish April wasn't wearing yellow in the end, couldn't she wear green/purple/orange, etc? Everyone is going to know it's April, she doesn't have to be color coded.

Also anyone surprised her hair wasn't gray?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #588
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I kinda wish April wasn't wearing yellow in the end, couldn't she wear green/purple/orange, etc? Everyone is going to know it's April, she doesn't have to be color coded.

Noobs wouldn't know who it was without the yellow.

I don't begrudge the book making it slightly more accessible with a color scheme, whether it's April wearing something yellow or rainbow bandannas. Just no fvcking initial belts.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #589
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:

This comic is going for the average casual fan, the color code is likely necessary, I'm sure you'll see a cowabunga in one of the issues.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #590
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Thanks! That was super fun to draw. I knew it was Mikey pretty early on, yeah. I have the inside hook-up, Bobby and Tom will tell me if I ask, but I also like to wait and read the finished book.
Ah, of course.

Quote:

I was fine with the yellow, I just wish they didn't give her nostrils.

But, yeah, I could have done without the yellow. It's not a big deal though. I've already accepted the multi-colored masks, so.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #591
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I feel it does need to not be directed to the one who prefer the black and white comics, but it does not need to go all kiddie-fare or lean heavily on any specific other media. It just needs a little flavoring for those that are like me, huge fans of the franchise, but not enthusiastic for gory revenge, but seeing familiar yet different elements. It helps the quality of the product and reaches a wider audience. Look at how over 135,000 copies are sold and may be the second highest TMNT book ever off the market after the first TMNT/Batman team up and this itself is TMNT alone so its the highest draw of pure TMNT. People may prefer them in the other media, but I hope this comic will help guide them to seeing TMNT as a decent comic property, not just #1 selling like hotcakes and then plummet, though not to the 11k the ongoing is currently averaging.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #592
AquaParade
Banned

A video game podcast I was listening to randomly opened up their episode by bringing this, way off-topic, comic book up, praising it, and convincing each other to buy it.

Honestly, it was sort of surreal. The book has been topping charts on Amazon. For a TMNT comic book in 2020, it's pretty crazy.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #593
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. But that's true of anytime I see April pop in anywhere, not just this.

The dumb yellow fetish is an invention of the Fred Wolf spinoff thing. There isn't anything intrinsic about it to the character.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #594
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
A video game podcast I was listening to randomly opened up their episode by bringing this, way off-topic, comic book up, praising it, and convincing each other to buy it.

Honestly, it was sort of surreal. The book has been topping charts on Amazon. For a TMNT comic book in 2020, it's pretty crazy.
Appearently this comic has old fans coming back and even non-TMNT fans picked this up.
I read the current ongoing IDW one aswell and been doing that since i think 2012 so its nice seeing old fans or new fans coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My thoughts exactly. But that's true of anytime I see April pop in anywhere, not just this.

The dumb yellow fetish is an invention of the Fred Wolf spinoff thing. There isn't anything intrinsic about it to the character.
I think they did it here to show new readers (or old fans) that this is April, because most people who see a woman in yellow go "Oh thats April!" so its easier for them.
As i stated above this comic is bringing back a lot of people and the writers don't want to confuse them with who "this woman" is at the end, its understandable.
As someone who grew up with yellow wearing April i like her having yellow for my nostalgia.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #595
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Taking a peek at the issue. Definitely tonally (and even aesthetically) way more Frank Miller's "Ronin" than "The Dark Knight Returns." And lots of, ah, robots getting whacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
I think they did it here to show new readers (or old fans) that this is April, because most people who see a woman in yellow go "Oh thats April!" so its easier for them.
You mean the first line of dialogue on the first page we see her, "April? Is that really you?!" wasn't enough? Readers are going to be that dumb?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #596
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

You mean the first line of dialogue on the first page we see her, "April? Is that really you?!" wasn't enough? Readers are going to be that dumb?
As a high school English teacher, yes readers are that dumb...but seriously, no need for the yellow, especially since she was addressed by name. Perhaps if they had left it ambiguous until the next issue it would have been ok, but not necessary in this context.
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #597
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
As a high school English teacher, yes readers are that dumb...but seriously, no need for the yellow, especially since she was addressed by name. Perhaps if they had left it ambiguous until the next issue it would have been ok, but not necessary in this context.
If that first line of dialogue wasn't enough for them to get it, then they don't deserve to.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #598
Bruz
Random Punk

I’m trying not to read all the replies due to spoilers so sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know if the 5 books will be put into one collected edition?
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #599
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
I’m trying not to read all the replies due to spoilers so sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know if the 5 books will be put into one collected edition?
IDW collects everything, so yes it'll come eventually.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #600
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
For sure. If there's one thing IDW can be counted on for, it's reprinting and trade paperbacks (and hardbacks, and limited editions and collector editions).