The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Rob Paulsen's European Vacation

I am aware why Michael Gough stepped in as Raphael at the end of the series run,but I never heard why Rob Paulsen did not voice Raphael in the European Vacation set of episodes. I appreciate the episodes for the most part except Hal Rayle's voice falls flat when matched with the great one.Has Rob ever addressed why he did not voice Raphael in these episodes? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
ssjup81
Foot Elite

If I'm not mistaken, Barry wasn't around for some of them too. Anyway, it could've been a situation where he was busy with other things or a scheduling conflict at the time of recording. That's always been my assumption. I know this has happened for Krang, Shredder, Donny/Bebop, and Splinter. The only ones who kept the same voice actors from beginning to end were Leo, Mikey, and April.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Seriously this is the only series I've ever watched that had subbed voices when an actor wasn't "available" to record lines. I've seen people be replaced entirely but never this. It's so weird.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
pannoni1
Foot Elite

That's a good question and if anyone has a chance to contact Rob would be a good thing to discuss. These episodes seemed like they were rushed to be produced anyways. The best reason is probably the scheduling conflict, since 13 episodes take at least three weeks to record even if they were rushed. The other possible reason was that Rob had an illness, though it seems pretty farfetched that he had one at the time. I heard Rob in one of his podcasts mention that Animaniacs recording sessions began in 1992, which may have been when the European episodes were recorded (though it could have been as early as 1990), since the 1992 background music cues are used throughout that season.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Maybe he couldn't get his passport in time?

-ms
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
That's a good question and if anyone has a chance to contact Rob would be a good thing to discuss. These episodes seemed like they were rushed to be produced anyways. The best reason is probably the scheduling conflict, since 13 episodes take at least three weeks to record even if they were rushed. The other possible reason was that Rob had an illness, though it seems pretty farfetched that he had one at the time. I heard Rob in one of his podcasts mention that Animaniacs recording sessions began in 1992, which may have been when the European episodes were recorded (though it could have been as early as 1990), since the 1992 background music cues are used throughout that season.
The question came when I was watching Elementary, My Dear Turtle. It is said to be 1991 as present day despite it airing in 1993. I would take it as being produced in 1991 since it was mentioned as present day in the episode set. I too thought he was overbooked with his voice work and the production came up sudden instead of a set record date like usual. I assume the same with James Avery having to report to taping of The Fresh Prince of Bell Air butting heads with something that was not originally on the schedule. Its just nice to have the confirmation.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Seriously this is the only series I've ever watched that had subbed voices when an actor wasn't "available" to record lines. I've seen people be replaced entirely but never this. It's so weird.
Wow... kinda mindblowing that I've never noticed that fact.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Subbed voices? Like...subtitled? I don't get it.

EDIT: You mean substituted, haha. Silly me.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

In the 2003 series Greg Carey voiced original character Hun,but in Enter The Dragon part 1 and his small vit in part 2 either Carey was sick or there was a sub voice actor for that appearance. Aside from that I can't think of any in the 2003 cartoon. But yeah, this is one of the few faults of the '87 cartoon, sub voice actors. Bill Martin in Shredder's last seven episodes and Michael Gough did really good even if I do love who they replaced much more. The rest of the voice subs, meh.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I know this has happened for Krang, Shredder, Donny/Bebop, and Splinter. The only ones who kept the same voice actors from beginning to end were Leo, Mikey, and April.
What about Baxter Stockman, General Traag, Irma, and Rocksteady ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
In the 2003 series Greg Carey voiced original character Hun,but in Enter The Dragon part 1 and his small vit in part 2 either Carey was sick or there was a sub voice actor for that appearance. Aside from that I can't think of any in the 2003 cartoon.
The was still Greg Carey. A 4Kids guy on this board said so. A few I can think of for the 2003 cartoon are Leatherhead, Angel, and Silver Sentry.

Last edited by Xav; 09-18-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
What about Baxter Stockman, Carter, Casey Jones, General Traag, Irma, Lord Dregg, Mung, The Rat King, Rocksteady, Slash, Zach?.
I was only referring to main characters that were around at the very beginning and Cam voiced Rocksteady/Leo. Leo and Mikey were around for the entire duration and never had an alternate voice actor for their characters.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Luke795
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Inspector Gadget also had subbed voices for Dr. Claw, Brain, and MAD Cat.
Luke795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Really...Frank Welker missed some episodes of Inspector Gadget? Not seeing it....

I never understood the voice subbing in the FW series. I almost always noticed, even as a kid. The only time I've heard a great explination is when Townsend subbed for a sick Peter Reneday who was out for a while...Towny also had his checks for playing Splinter sent to Peter. Sweet story from the TMNT Rob-cast.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
What about Baxter Stockman, Carter, Casey Jones, General Traag, Irma, Lord Dregg, Mung, The Rat King, Rocksteady, Slash, Zach?
The was still Greg Carey. A 4Kids guy on this board said so.
Yeah they just didn't slow it down like they normally did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke795 View Post
Inspector Gadget also had subbed voices for Dr. Claw, Brain, and MAD Cat.
Never watched Gadget enough to notice but that's still weird to me haha.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

The sub voices are simple

The show has to record the lines to move ahead with production and if the VA was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, being sick, or whatever, they would quickly use a sub for that particular episode. They would obviously miss pay for that episode too, however they had no intention of firing the actor overall.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yes, we "get" why they did it, we really just don't like they did it. There's really no reason that they couldn't just do the record without the missing actor and have them replace their lines at a later date. Were they really so desperate to release TMNT episode that they didn't care about the qualit....oh...I can't even finish, the answer is so obviously "YES!"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
gobo
Wacky Action

Fred Wolf is a cheapskate.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah they just didn't slow it down like they normally did.
I read where Scott Williams (Baxter Stockman) said Greg's voice is actually deeper in person. Which makes me think his voice was actually spread up.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The sub voices are simple

The show has to record the lines to move ahead with production and if the VA was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, being sick, or whatever, they would quickly use a sub for that particular episode. They would obviously miss pay for that episode too, however they had no intention of firing the actor overall.
Sure but besides TMNT and I guess Inspector Gadget name more nationally broadcast animated series that just subbed out voices randomly and then returned back the original VA the next episode? It makes no sense and they didn't even pull that in the infamous Hannah and Barbara era of animation that brought the whole industry standard down to an all time low. You want to talk cheap it didn't get much cheaper then that.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The question came when I was watching Elementary, My Dear Turtle. It is said to be 1991 as present day despite it airing in 1993. I would take it as being produced in 1991 since it was mentioned as present day in the episode set. I too thought he was overbooked with his voice work and the production came up sudden instead of a set record date like usual. I assume the same with James Avery having to report to taping of The Fresh Prince of Bell Air butting heads with something that was not originally on the schedule. Its just nice to have the confirmation.
They aired in Europe in 1992. But are you really sure he says "the same 1991" and not "the same 1990 one".
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fred wolf series, rob paulsen