The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Razhar and Tokka appear more?
Yes 15 50.00%
No 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Are Razhar and Tokka underused?

I feel like they are one of those characters who have potential, but it has been vastly underused potential. They only appeared in one episode of the OT, tmnt SOTO, a small cameo in Turtles Forever and the Nick versions which are similar to the original only by name.

Do you feel that they should be used more? Me personally, while I found the SOTO versions funny and iconic, its the OT versions which got me thinking of how much potential they have as characters. Just in episode, I felt they left quite a mark as the scene with Razhar feeling regretful over Tokkas loss as his only friend and their strong bond as outcasts both felt very good. If their one episode appearance could leave such a mark, I imagine making them major characters a good move in tmnt history.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

Nah. Their names are so nonsensical that I see why writers of modern TMNT avoid them. Nick got around it with the Michelangelo Name Game™ and making one an alien. But no one else is gonna bother.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I feel like they are one of those characters who have potential, but it has been vastly underused potential. They only appeared in one episode of the OT, tmnt SOTO, a small cameo in Turtles Forever and the Nick versions which are similar to the original only by name.

Do you feel that they should be used more? Me personally, while I found the SOTO versions funny and iconic, its the OT versions which got me thinking of how much potential they have as characters. Just in episode, I felt they left quite a mark as the scene with Razhar feeling regretful over Tokkas loss as his only friend and their strong bond as outcasts both felt very good. If their one episode appearance could leave such a mark, I imagine making them major characters a good move in tmnt history.
These are characters I could see appear on the IDW comics, and properly done.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Nah. Their names are so nonsensical .
Their names? How is Rahzar anymore nonsensical a name than a character with the name, "Slash" or "Metalhead" or "Herman the Crab."
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Those are all real words you ****ing retard. Rahzar is jibberish.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

What does that have to do with anything? Krang isn't a real word, and as far as I know its not a pun on anything either.

Rahzar sounds similar to the word "razor," so it's not that far out from its meaning given he has claws and is a wolf.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Krang isn't a real word, and as far as I know its not a pun on anything either.

Rahzar sounds similar to the word "razor," so it's not that far out from its meaning given he has claws and is a wolf.
It could also possibly be a based on the 'RRR' growling sound of canines in combination with Razor
Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

Krang is an alien. Pay attention.

Rahzar, obviously, is a "badass" pun on razor. Still doesn't make sense why the Foot would start calling him that, or if he named himself. And your conformation bias game is strong here, as I see you're making no case for Tokka.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Jim Lawson also drew Rahzar and Tokka in the Archie adaption comic of the second movie. Pretty funny to see the way he drew them in the 90's.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Krang is an alien. Pay attention.

Rahzar, obviously, is a "badass" pun on razor. Still doesn't make sense why the Foot would start calling him that, or if he named himself. And your conformation bias game is strong here, as I see you're making no case for Tokka.
Tokka sounds like a Japanese word, like Godzilla. What's that huge giant Turtle that roams Japan in the Godzilla movies? I assume that's what Tokka is based on. In the Nick episode Casey even says it's a, "kaiju invasion."
Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
ToTheNines
[sic]

Gamera? Keep reaching.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Tokka sounds like a Japanese word, like Godzilla. What's that huge giant Turtle that roams Japan in the Godzilla movies? I assume that's what Tokka is based on. In the Nick episode Casey even says it's a, "kaiju invasion."
Gamera is his name. I also assume that since snapping turtles are found in rainforests, that the word Tokka might've been inspired by the language of Jungle tribes? Maybe its not real in any language, but the word "Tokka" sounds like something a tribe in the jungle would say in reference to animals with sturdy shells.

Many other characters in tmnt don't have names exactly based off their animals but they sound similar, like Rocksteady which is a a type of music but you would associate it with a Rhinoceros due its rock like skin and tough exterior.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yea, I assume Tokka was based on Gamera. He has a huge spiky shell and looks different than a regular mutant Turtle.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Gamera is his name. I also assume that since snapping turtles are found in rainforests, that the word Tokka might've been inspired by the language of Jungle tribes? Maybe its not real in any language, but the word "Tokka" sounds like something a tribe in the jungle would say in reference to animals with sturdy shells.

Many other characters in tmnt don't have names exactly based off their animals but they sound similar, like Rocksteady which is a a type of music but you would associate it with a Rhinoceros due its rock like skin and tough exterior.

Quote:
Yea, I assume Tokka was based on Gamera. He has a huge spiky shell and looks different than a regular mutant Turtle.
That has nothing to do with his jibberish name.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Alligator Snapping Turtle, dude:

I also agree with Nines about you guys trying so hard to justify the silly names. You guys are probably putting more effort in than the guys who named them.
And snapping turtles are found everywhere, not just in rainforests.

In regards to them not being used, they really serve no purpose. They're introduction was as one off characters used instead of Bebop and Rocksteady (for whatever reasons) and aren't characters with any depth. Their subsequent appearances haven't done anything for them, and Nick's attempts have just been pathetic. While I love the designs (especially Tokka) I wouldn't want to see them appear in IDW before other much better characters.

Last edited by DestronMirage22; 04-09-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

No. Too much, maybe.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
subsequent appearances haven't done anything for them, and Nick's attempts have just been pathetic. While I love the designs (especially Tokka) I wouldn't want to see them appear in IDW before other much better characters.
Nick's attempts have been pathetic? What on earth are you talking about? Nick's Rahzar flat out turned out to be the best incarnation of the character, and prove you can do more with Rahzar than just have him be a snarling wolf (like the second movie), or just a one-off character like the original cartoon.

Tokka made into a space Turtle was also fine because he would be too similar to Slash otherwise, so I saw no problem with it.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Nick's attempts have been pathetic? What on earth are you talking about? Nick's Rahzar flat out turned out to be the best incarnation of the character, and prove you can do more with Rahzar than just have him be a snarling wolf (like the second movie), or just a one-off character like the original cartoon.

Tokka made into a space Turtle was also fine because he would be too similar to Slash otherwise, so I saw no problem with it.
You remember when Rahzar, as Chris Bradford or Dogpound, did anything of relevance?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
You remember when Rahzar, as Chris Bradford or Dogpound, did anything of relevance?
He's literally one of the major villains of the show and got some of the most amount of screentime of all the new characters. What on earth do you want? All of Shredder's henchmen in any series basically function the same exact way. Look at Hun during 4kids Seasons 1-3, basically the same thing.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #20
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:

The whole "double-mutated" thing was completely idiotic, and both are just more examples of them slapping old names on their original characters for the sake of nostalgia or something.
Closed Thread

Tags
cubedindenial