The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Igglet

Favorite issue of the IDW TMNT run?

/10chaaaaar

Last edited by Igglet; 03-10-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
daggio
Foot Soldier

For me issue #71, the first part of the Feast of the Pantheon, is mine. It's hard to pinpoint why exactly, but I loved the group dynamic between all of them. That issue got me finding the Pantheon to be my favorite group of characters in this series. It's just a shame Chi-You wasn't there.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Damn, one single issue?

Maybe TMNT Universe #22. Or the Leonardo Macro. Or #40.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Mine has to be #24, for Dark Leo's reveal and Raph's reaction.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Mine is still #40, after all these years, with Dimension X #3 running a close second.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know, all the issues tend to blur together and since each issue is part of an ongoing arc or story, it's hard to pick just one. Hell, I think that's a problem, I can't pick a single standout issue because it all just feels like parts of a bigger arc.

It's a lot different than Mirage where you can recommend to someone a single issue from start to finish to read.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't know, all the issues tend to blur together and since each issue is part of an ongoing arc or story, it's hard to pick just one. Hell, I think that's a problem, I can't pick a single standout issue because it all just feels like parts of a bigger arc.

It's a lot different than Mirage where you can recommend to someone a single issue from start to finish to read.
Well if you're after a single issue story there are quite a few; the micros and macros are all self contained as are the two annuals, also the Usagi crossover, Universe issues 5, 6, 11 and 25, and Ongoing issues 5, 21, 65, 85 and 89 can be read individually. Heck you could also include Deviations and 20/20 too.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

This, for me.

That said, it would likely be Pantheon/Toad Baron related. Love that stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

"Blood Brothers" and "Krang War" consecuive stories #15-20 is still my overall favorite. It was fun and serious, a mix of old and new.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #10
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

I liked the Alopex villain micro the most.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean, it should be no surprise that I like the Krang micro issue. As much as I have problems with the opening scene and closing scene, and as much as I think Krang should have made a much bigger deal about an Utrom he had sworn to protect being killed rather than the ooze that was stolen, I enjoyed seeing what a pompous little brat he was in his youth, as well as the introduction to Quanin (with a personality that didn't...totally stick).

But in a surprise to all...the Leo Macro is some top notch stuff. What a shame everything from it falls apart, from Leo's refound optimism and the truce with Karai being so short lived, but it had so much HOPE.

And TMNT Universe #5 with Hob and Leatherhead meeting and potentially setting up how horribly their next one will go for Hob. It's such a great contrast to the ongoing Christmas issue at the time, BUT WHERE DID HIS COOL VEST GO in Trial of Krang (which still continues to be my biggest disappointment overall)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

I really like the first issue. Not sure about a very favorite though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I mean, it should be no surprise that I like the Krang micro issue. As much as I have problems with the opening scene and closing scene, and as much as I think Krang should have made a much bigger deal about an Utrom he had sworn to protect being killed rather than the ooze that was stolen, I enjoyed seeing what a pompous little brat he was in his youth, as well as the introduction to Quanin (with a personality that didn't...totally stick).

But in a surprise to all...the Leo Macro is some top notch stuff. What a shame everything from it falls apart, from Leo's refound optimism and the truce with Karai being so short lived, but it had so much HOPE.

And TMNT Universe #5 with Hob and Leatherhead meeting and potentially setting up how horribly their next one will go for Hob. It's such a great contrast to the ongoing Christmas issue at the time, BUT WHERE DID HIS COOL VEST GO in Trial of Krang (which still continues to be my biggest disappointment overall)
That is my shared biggest disappointment and the true nature of Agent Bishop is my second.

As for more recent issues I really enjoyed the character piece of Michelangelo micro defending the orphans against Splinter.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

This is actually why I dropped the book with issue 50. Nothing stood out to me as singularly gripping across any of those issues. I also don't remember much of a captivating through line. It was a strange combination of a quality comic that just ran month after month but wasn't interesting.

It's ashame I dropped it at 50 though because 51 is a back issue burner now IIRC, and I used to order all of the variants, everything. I have crazy respect for IDW though - continuing the series all this time now in a contiguous run without rebooting or some other nonsense. I could see myself rebuilding from 50 up at some point out of curiosity. Or at least picking up the post 50 hardcovers.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'll pick up a comic at the store and browse it, but I haven't been a reader for somewhere around the 30s. I bear no axe against IDW and respect the work and value the writing team, but it just isn't for me. The TMNT is just fundamentally not that, to me. More and more it seemed to embrace the things I didn't like about TMNT (while ignoring or distancing itself from the things that I did) until it got to the boiling point, I think.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'll pick up a comic at the store and browse it, but I haven't been a reader for somewhere around the 30s. I bear no axe against IDW and respect the work and value the writing team, but it just isn't for me. The TMNT is just fundamentally not that, to me. More and more it seemed to embrace the things I didn't like about TMNT (while ignoring or distancing itself from the things that I did) until it got to the boiling point, I think.
Pretty much the same for me. I respect the IDW team greatly, and I want to love this book, which is why I check back in every few arcs to see if an issue can pull me back in.

I'll keep trying. The new developments look interesting. But yeah, something more in line with Mirage was what I was hoping for, and even sort of thought we were getting in the early days. No worries though. IDW is carving their own path, which is a great thing.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
funatic
Mad Scientist

Like others have said, it's hard to pick one for IDW since most of it is so serialized. I guess some stand-alones that have stood out to me are #5 (the defining issue of IDW introducing us to the reincarnation angle and Santolouco!?), #85 (good ol' fashioned Leatherhead freakout gets me every time), and Universe #6 (two words: Pitarra's Wyrm!).

I've always been a fan of Mirage's more introspective, family-oriented stuff, but not so much when it comes to IDW for some reason. Oddly, I think my favorite arcs of the whole IDW series are the crazy off-the-wall mini-series that have come out in the summers. The two Bebop & Rocksteady wild rides and the Dimension X madness. They were all super fun and brought in lots of great talent and didn't feel too restricted by the tone of the main ongoing. I think it helped that they came out weekly too, so I could read them quickly in sequence. I hope we get another one next summer (Bobby, ya listenin??).
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
That is my shared biggest disappointment and the true nature of Agent Bishop is my second.

As for more recent issues I really enjoyed the character piece of Michelangelo micro defending the orphans against Splinter.
OH FVCK I forgot the Michelangelo issue. Pure for everyone's reaction to Mike socking Splinter in the face (and also Michelangelo standing his ground).

But yeah, Bishop doesn't bother me too much since the reveal came early enough in his story, but Trial of Krang didn't have nearly enough of either. Krang especially didn't do enough for the story line being his swan song (his...screaming, tantrum-y swan song). Though, that might be a problem with Krang as a whole, since there was a lot that could have been done to put him further on par with Saki as an antagonist.

And also the connection with Leatherhead coming way, way, WAY too late and sidelined for a few lines of exposition for that to have been impactful. If he had been around a long time before then, or if we could have seen the relationship for ourselves, it would make more sense. But as it was...just kinda seemed like shoving Krang out of the way as a last second excuse.
With Krang joining the fight against the Malignoids as a highly experienced combatant and dying facing off Maligna would probably have been more suitable. And far more ironic for him to be saving the planet he once tried to mow down himself. I would much rather have seen that than him being shoved back into his cell and being gone for 75% of the storyline (Dimension X mini included)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I kind of figured we'd be on the same page re the book.
I know that we had the New Adventures book for a while, but I would be all-in on an Archie series revival from IDW. Continuity would be great, but even if they rebooted that series with similar art direction and lighthearted reads, I'd probably actually read it.

We need an Archie series revival and a two volume Archie series omnibus from IDW. I'd be all-in immediately.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #20
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I kind of figured we'd be on the same page re the book.
I know that we had the New Adventures book for a while, but I would be all-in on an Archie series revival from IDW. Continuity would be great, but even if they rebooted that series with similar art direction and lighthearted reads, I'd probably actually read it.

We need an Archie series revival and a two volume Archie series omnibus from IDW. I'd be all-in immediately.
I am guessing there is a nostalgia factor going on here? Archie could be pretty preachy and juvenile. The writer's preference for Raph and Don (even without the future versions) was pretty blatant. And the Hitler brain thing was some acid trip ****. That said, I do appreciate that it created some very cool plots. I am thinking of buying a bunch of it off of Comixology and want to know where it starts getting good (e.g. serialized, Chris Allan's art mostly, not very kiddie).

The IDW series can never get as dark as I'd like, but overall I like it a lot. But yeah I agree with people that it is hard to pick or remember a given issue. I liked the Northampton arc and the Turtles in Space arc (mostly because of the art). 44 was pretty good as a Don being badass issue. 50 was cool as well, as was Secret History of the Foot Clan. Agreed that the Mikey macro was pretty epic, definitely a climactic moment for Mikey's character and a time when he wasn't annoyingly anti-violent for a ninja turtle.

Last edited by Rooish; 10-25-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote