The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 AM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Will the slasher genre ever have another revival?

I was going to throw this in the horror movie discussion but since this doesn't pertain to any movie specifically...

Just a general question I thought I'd bring up. I'm a huge slasher fan who grew up on the ever so brief 90's revival period of slashers. Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend... these were the movies my friends and I wore out the VHS tapes to. Of course, that lead to us eventually working backwards through the 80s and late 70s and discovering all the classics.

Slasher nostalgia has seem to find a home on television oddly enough with Scream Queens, Slasher, and Scream: The Series all popping up and performing well enough.

But will slasher movies ever have that boom period again? If so, what would it take?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

probably not for awhile. Seems to me we are on a Gothic ghost story kick.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I think it will come back in some form or another. Unfortunately (but probably inevitably) the genre became a parody of itself, then it got very meta and post-modern. It would be hard to just carry on like that never happened, so whoever starts making these things again will have to do something original.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

These days it's all about back-to-back PG-13 "horror" films with a lot of jump scares where the bad guys are spooky kids.

Jump scares are cheap. Kids aren't spooky... f***in', kick that little sh*t in the face. PG-13 "horror" isn't horror. This is a terrible age for horror movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably because there's only so many ways a guy/clown/hockey mask wearing/devil can go around hiding in the shadows slashing teens with a machete before it gets old.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
THGhost
Puppet Master

Well, a new Halloween movie is being made. So... maybe?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
These days it's all about back-to-back PG-13 "horror" films with a lot of jump scares where the bad guys are spooky kids.

Jump scares are cheap. Kids aren't spooky... f***in', kick that little sh*t in the face. PG-13 "horror" isn't horror. This is a terrible age for horror movies.
Krampus wasn't bad, but then again it was able to play of the "cold death of winter"
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Well, a new Halloween movie is being made. So... maybe?
And a new Child's Play. But there's also the Friday the 13th reboot that had its plug pulled 6 weeks from shooting, so someone up top doesn't think the waters are quite safe for a slasher return.

I think the issue with slasher is it's such a well defined genre that allows little room for growth. I mean, as soon as you mix it up a bit, it stops becoming a slasher and turns into a thriller. Movies like Hush and The Strangers twisted the formula enough to be different, and ended up not falling under the slasher category; they're considered home invasion movies instead.

So I guess in the trick to spark another boom period for slashers would be just exceptional filmmaking. Don't try a fresh spin on things; pay tribute and show why the genre is special in it's own right. I don't know... I guess I just want to see more slashers back in theatres
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Until Dawn (PS4).
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Until Dawn (PS4).
...is not a slasher. Has a slasher character in it, but isn't it ultimately a wendigo storyline?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:

You have a weird fixation with movie ratings and giving them more meaning than you should.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You have a weird fixation with movie ratings and giving them more meaning than you should.
In terms of horror or adult films, how am I wrong? I like adult movies where adults can talk as adults really do, action movies where people are getting shot left and right to actually show the consequences (it's actually irresponsible not to), and horror movies where blood is being spilled to actually... be able to show the blood being spilled.

I don't feel these are things that need to be apologized for.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Just seems a little disingenuous to judge a movie based on that alone.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #14
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
...is not a slasher. Has a slasher character in it, but isn't it ultimately a wendigo storyline?
Wendigo not a slasher?

I thought slasher genre is about a bunch of people getting killed.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Just seems a little disingenuous to judge a movie based on that alone.
Maybe not, but when it ends up sucking anyway... you sure can point to it as an example of "movie that probably could have been helped by an R-rating." Because I can think of plenty of sh*tty horror movies (just using the genre as an example, but action too) where the R-ratedness of the material saved it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #16
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I thought slasher genre is about a bunch of people getting killed.
Like Independence Day or Shindler's List?

Eh, I guess I'm a bit narrow minded in my definition of slasher. I'd put Wendigo under monster/creature horror. In the same vein as Feast or Predator/Aliens.

I need to stop over-categorizing things so much
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #17
Allio
Foot Elite

now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show (granted, not to fond of the satire in the original film) as well as the show "Slasher" was good, aside from the last episode.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #18
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show (granted, not to fond of the satire in the original film) as well as the show "Slasher" was good, aside from the last episode.
I wanted to get into Slasher but I only made it two episodes in. It just felt kind of boring... But now that it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime or whatever I might give it another go. Eventually.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
THGhost
Puppet Master

Is CyberCubed really banned? What he do?

Quote:

I very much enjoyed Don't Breathe, The Conjuring 2, Hush, Lights Out, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Final Girls, Insidious: Chapter 3, Krampus, The Witch and Bone Tomahawk and to my knowledge they were all rated 15-18/R with the exception of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Technically not all of them may be full-on "horror" movies, but they're definitely creepy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
And a new Child's Play. But there's also the Friday the 13th reboot that had its plug pulled 6 weeks from shooting, so someone up top doesn't think the waters are quite safe for a slasher return.
Or maybe it was because the script just wasn't very good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show
Looking forward to season 3.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

depending on what your definition of "slasher" is, the second season of Kamen Rider Amazons really kicked up on the level of intensity...episode 2, gore galore.