The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
A mutated Shadow Jones? Or even a human Shadow, showing that there's still hope for humanity. That would have given it kind of a Children of Men feel. But it was hard to care about this random meerkat.
So would Shadow be April and Casey's kid or something.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting

My only criticism aside from some of the designs is the lack of Casey. It would've been badass to see Old Man Jones as the last human alive. Give him a cool bike, grey hair, and the american flag mask. It would've been perfect.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
Sumac
Banned

Another reason for me not to bother with this series.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #24
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It's less disappointing than it is perplexing. At best it's a (very) loose adaptation of relatively obscure table-top RPG, which is still an odd choice to base the finale on.

Judged on it's own merits it's just... I mean, really? Everyone except six characters (two of which are mute pets) are implied to have died in a nuclear blast shortly after the last regular episode, thereby axing any lingering plot threads and/or undoing anything that was accomplished.

Like for example, why does Karai's reconstructed Foot Clan matter if it just got blown up out of nowhere?
This was my take too. It feels less like a finale and more a very elaborate what if story. If this were set up as a dream sequence, alternative future, or something set apart from the main series explicitly I think more people would have enjoyed it.

I actually would be really intrigued to see an exploration of the Turtles in a post human world (ala the tabletop RPG as another already said) though perhaps less a Mad Max homage and something more cyberpunkish, which has always been part of TMNT's spiritual roots . A PG rated Shadowrun like setting, or, dare I say, Turtles in Time #4 from IDW. A world where Shredder, Krang, and Stockman are locked in eternal war, Mutants have replaced humans as the dominant species, etc.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
So would Shadow be April and Casey's kid or something.
Or Donnie and April. I'm sure the Nick team would have gone wild with some kind of human turtle hybrid design. Honestly Donnie is more human than turtle so i would expect him just to be a green kid, but i know Nick loves their grosd out mutation designs.

I

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #26
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Just a couple of random criticisms:

Maximus Kong should have been a presence from the beginning. They weren't really trying to conceal his identity with his Dark Leo design (even the kiddies probably added up the plastron and blue skin), but they still should have built him up as a threat. Would have made the boss fight less rushed.

Meera or whatever should have been some kind of legacy character. Leo and/or Karai's daughter? Don and April's? A mutated Shadow Jones? Or even a human Shadow, showing that there's still hope for humanity. That would have given it kind of a Children of Men feel. But it was hard to care about this random meerkat.
I honestly was expecting her to turn out to be a mutated April, or the daughter of a mutated April and Casey.

Maybe Mira is an obscure reference to Mezcaal (non Archie reader)?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Another reason for me not to bother with this series.
A 3-parter set in the future disconnected from the majority of the cartoon itself is a reason for you not to bother with the series? This doesn't discount the other 121 episodes that came before it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

Do you think part of the disappointment for it was that - as a finale - we were expecting something big for the fans to be shocked/fascinated by, but most of the unexpected stuff was spoiled in the trailer? Robodon for example, alongside the deaths of the humans.
Coupling that with an expectation that there would be more of a drama focus because it was a finale and thereby we were expecting something more... heartfelt I guess?

I mean the dark Leo thing was a step in that direction, but because he (Maximus) wasn't even mentioned until episode 3, there wasn't much of an emotional impact. There wasn't time for any drama there, it was too focused on action and the urgency of the moment.

Look at the speculation over what turned out to be Mikey for example. Had that been Don/Aprils kid as surmised, would that not have opened up a lot more opportunity for drama and an emotional focus?

Instead we didn't really get any major revelation like that, that wasn't already spoiled in the trailer. As a result, the arc was fun, but didnt really carry much emotional weight to it - making it feel less like a finale.

Compare that to the emotional strength of the rooftop fight against Super Shredder and the build up to it. Admittedly, that had the rest of the series as background weight, but that could and should have been true of Apocalypse too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thank the gods of the universe that Don/April didn't have a kid turtle offspring in this. I actually almost believed it would be true and actually happen during the speculation, because it sounded like something the writers might actually do....but praise all the Gods of the universe that it never came to pass.

Don/April having some Turtle offspring just makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. We REALLY dodged a bullet here that such a thing never happened in canon. Thank god Ciro didn't go in that direction. It had a real possibility.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I thank the gods of the universe that Don/April didn't have a kid turtle offspring in this. I actually almost believed it would be true and actually happen during the speculation, because it sounded like something the writers might actually do....but praise all the Gods of the universe that it never came to pass.

Don/April having some Turtle offspring just makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. We REALLY dodged a bullet here that such a thing never happened in canon. Thank god Ciro didn't go in that direction. It had a real possibility.
Oh be quiet. You'd still find someway to defend it and get on people's case if they complain about it. Just like Russian Rocksteady and whatnot.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

I would never in a million years defend Don/April having a mutant turtle kid, lol. I mean I've always said even when the show first started Don's crush on April was nothing more than a running gag and wouldn't actually go anywhere. And of course I was right.

But since this was a 50 year timeskip and we had the crazy speculation going on for a while and some "small Turtle" in the preview, it definitely seemed like a possibility, or the writers possibly giving in to shippers. I knew Ciro wouldn't let us down!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #32
newfan
Mad Scientist

Some really strong feelings there Cybercubed
It wouldn't have bothered me if they had a child along the way, I wasn't sure it would be that though it looked likely. I did think there would have been a small something between April and Donnie and some point by the end.

Edit: Ciro did make some hints according to some people, course when he said there will be a resolution/conclusion to the love triangle (so I believe,?) he must have meant cause they get blown up by a mutagen bomb but who would have guessed that

TMNT is not a love story nor do I expect it to be and romance doesn't suit all incarnations. In this show, I didn't see a problem with it, in small amount. I liked Leorai, the writers did tease ships a bit because they want the following, even if they aren't going to go there officially.

Last edited by newfan; 10-05-2017 at 05:43 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #33
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
I would never in a million years defend Don/April having a mutant turtle kid, lol.
Why won't you defend true love?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Why won't you defend true love?
More like, why won't you defend your absolutely flawless show??? Which for him is true love

Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #35
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Oh be quiet. You'd still find someway to defend it and get on people's case if they complain about it. Just like Russian Rocksteady and whatnot.
lol...

I'd been reading through a bunch of old threads due to the 5 year anniversary/my rewatching the whole series and it is hilarious to see all crap the little twit would throw tantrums over that he just ended up defending tooth and nail. Constantly threatening how they "better not" change some thing about some character.

What a joke.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #36
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
lol...

I'd been reading through a bunch of old threads due to the 5 year anniversary/my rewatching the whole series and it is hilarious to see all crap the little twit would throw tantrums over that he just ended up defending tooth and nail. Constantly threatening how they "better not" change some thing about some character.

What a joke.
Yeah, wouldn't put it past him. He says he'd hate on the Don'O Neil hybrid baby, but as soon as someone else ragged on it, he'd tell them it was a good design and how they just aren't seeing the sheer genius and perfection of it.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:30 AM   #37
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
A 3-parter set in the future disconnected from the majority of the cartoon itself is a reason for you not to bother with the series? This doesn't discount the other 121 episodes that came before it.
I was not big fan of the series, since season 2 and hearing that it's final is some grim-dark "alternate" future-thing is rather neither inspiring, nor interesting.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I was not big fan of the series, since season 2 and hearing that it's final is some grim-dark "alternate" future-thing is rather neither inspiring, nor interesting.
I wouldn't exactly call it "grimdark", between Mikey eating decomposed mush that used to be frozen pizza and other goofy things, I'd say it doesn't take itself seriously enough for that.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
Vicky82
Emperor

Yeah it wasn't that dark, there were a lot of deaths (characters getting blown up ect)but Requiem and the Kavaxas Arc were more dark than this Future Arc.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Well even then, the 3-parter in the future is pretty disconnected from the rest of the show. I'm rewatching the series now and Season 2 is pretty great, the show does take a bit of a hit in early Season 3 but I think it improves after that until the end.