The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #21
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Found the official twitter. Be sure to retweet it.
https://twitter.com/DavidWiseSF/stat...92303029399552
Old 03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #22
Wesley
Mad Scientist

RIP David Wise. I never knew he was ill either. I enjoyed most episodes he wrote, though I’m only familiar with his work on the TMNT, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Batman: TAS.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #23
neatoman
Emperor

Well, not gonna lie, I did have a lot of problems with both the quality of his writing and his dubious claims. I'm not going into detail here, it would be too disrespectful considering he just died.

If I have to spin something positive about him, I guess he was efficient at producing content, his BTAS episodes were actually pretty good, one of his movie scripts got produced (which is not too shabby considering how many scripts go unproduced). And yes, his unique style of writing did make bad TV-shows somewhat more interesting than they would have been with more generic scripts.

Anyway, here's the movie he wrote, enjoy:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

He was only 65 years old. I knew he wasn't that old yet. Real shame even in the modern year most people can't make it to 80. Nobody should be dying at only 65 in 2020.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He was only 65 years old. I knew he wasn't that old yet. Real shame even in the modern year most people can't make it to 80. Nobody should be dying at only 65 in 2020.
Considering what he looked like only a few years ago and his particular type of cancer, I think it's safe to assume he wasn't living a very healthy life style. Which is why I wasn't surprised to find out he died before 70.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #26
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

We lost a man who contributed so much to the original TMNT show. He will be dearly missed. I will always be grateful to everything he did for the series.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplexxx View Post
At least it's better than only having heroes who were all already passed on before you were even born.
Dead heroes don't die on your watch.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, that's a shame. Cancer is a very personal thing to struggle with, can't say I'm surprised that he chose to keep it quiet.

I never spoke with him on social media or anything. On occasion I saw him engage in conversation with other friends of mine about this or that, and... well... I quickly reasoned that regardless of which cartoons he worked on, nothing good would ever come from he and I engaging in conversation about any topic whatsoever. Without getting too deep into it, I really didn't care for how he came off in replying to certain people, and apparently that was pretty common. So I just never bothered.

Really rough way to go, though, at any rate. Tough break.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #29
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well, not gonna lie, I did have a lot of problems with both the quality of his writing and his dubious claims. I'm not going into detail here, it would be too disrespectful considering he just died.

If I have to spin something positive about him, I guess he was efficient at producing content, his BTAS episodes were actually pretty good, one of his movie scripts got produced (which is not too shabby considering how many scripts go unproduced). And yes, his unique style of writing did make bad TV-shows somewhat more interesting than they would have been with more generic scripts.

Anyway, here's the movie he wrote, enjoy:

Dude! I loved the first Beastmaster as a kid. It was, in some ways like the He-Man film we never got. Then the sequel came out and they put him on Earth and that was like ''whaaaa????". I don't know if I ever sat through that third one.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #30
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Dead heroes don't die on your watch.
Yeah, but the living ones you at least get the privilege of sharing the world with them for a while.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #31
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

I'm sad to hear of this news. He was an important writer of what was my favorite cartoon show growing up. He evolved things in TMNT lore to make it into the most recognized version of TMNT still to this day. Thanks for all of the memories. R.I.P. David Wise.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #32
ABrown
Banned

That's unfortunate. RIP Mr. Wise, and thank you for your contributions to some of my favorite cartoons.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
damn. i'm rather sad that our last facebook was a tad...odd..

I paid him a compliment on one of the shows lines, he kind of fired back at me in a mean way. I decided to unfriend him then as I didn't want my thoughts colored on him wrong.

but no idea the man was ill.

created a big part of my child hood and make no mistake, tmnt would not have lasted this long lest he didnt contribute to it.
Same thing happened to me. I fell into the trap of continuously offending him, most of the time by accident or him misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
And yes, his unique style of writing did make bad TV-shows somewhat more interesting than they would have been with more generic scripts.
Dude... Looked at his credits again and most of the TV shows he worked on were pretty damn good. He was heavily involved with the writing of a lot for quality TV shows, not just TMNT. I'm sorry man, the number of 'bad TV shows' didn't register with me. I partly owe him the imagination I have today.

Rest in peace David and Cowabunga, you'll always be part of my childhood.

pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Interestingly enough, Mighty Ducks is the show that might actually be the closest to being his creation. It's amongst the ones with an episode count higher than 13, he wrote 17 of the 26 episodes, is credited as sole writer on 4 and directed 5 (all of which he wrote). It's also not really based on anything that came before, it shares the title with a movie but all it has in common with that is that it's about a hockey team and nothing else, if anything it strove towards being unrecognisable. That means 65% of the episodes had his involvement, 15% were entirely written by him and 19% ended up with both his writing and direction.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #35
pferreira
Foot Elite

If we're going with shows that aren't based of anything I suppose you're right that The Mighty Ducks series is the closest he got to creating the world he wrote for.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #36
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

65 is so young. And he worked on so much.

Rest in peace. Thanks for the memories.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 AM   #37
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Sad to hear he passed away when his work as become such a staple of so many of our childhoods. It's quite amazing when a writer can have that kind of talent to inspire and give joy that way.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote