The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #141
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
All I got was some kind of error msg.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #142
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Works fine for me.

Oh, and you may want to check your blood pressure when you read this

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25083/...it_the_jackpot
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #143
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Oh, sweet mother- I hope that doesn't mean what it looks like. I like tony, but M-J is and always WILL BE part of Peter's world.

Edit: Now it's working. I tried on my phone this morning, so maybe that's why it didn't work. But it's fine now. And this reminds me of the comics from about 20 years ago....

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 09-11-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #144
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Oh, sweet mother- I hope that doesn't mean what it looks like. I like Tony, but M-J is and always WILL BE part of Peter's world.
True, but being part of Peter's world is "no fun" according to Dan Slott because they can't be married and constantly beating around that bush will always be expected from fans, hence the decision to drop her from the Spider-Books. Had Bendis not intervened, MJ would have stayed in limbo for yet another year.

I don't mind MJ branching out actually...I just wish she could do that while still being with Peter. I also think Bendis will use this as a way to rebuild her character, so that if Marvel ever decide to pair her with Peter again, she'll be fully readjusted to superhero life and can hang with him more as an equal.

For me, anything that demonstrates MJ's strengths and doesn't make so much out of her weaknesses is what I'd favour over not doing anything with her.

And yeah, the comic strip is a great and much-needed reminder of better times. During the Black Widow story, MJ was insistent on helping them track down Harry and kick his ass, but Widow was'nt keen on it.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-12-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #145
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I dunno, I read through from Sept. 11 of last year to about a week into Nov., and it just felt kind of dated and cheesy. It reminded me too much of the early comic issues from the Stan/Kirby days. And not in a good way. Plot holes, inconsistencies, and inexplicable lapses galore, not to mention VERY slow pacing, excessive exposition and repitition of plot points, and ridiculous leaps of comic logic and/or physics. Its okay for a strip, but not what I want in a Spidey story, even a married one.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #146
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Fair enough. I easily forgive it for it's flaws because it's a load of innocent fun. The stories are admittedly nonsense, but, surprisingly, they're still considerably less inane than some of the s*it I've read in a regular market Marvel comic. Go figure.

I did love the attempt in Spider-Verse to have Morlun "invade" the strip universe and it doesn't go well because it's...well...the strip being what it is. Very funny stuff from Slott. Another example also of him writing Peter and MJ well, short as it is.

Come to think of it, I feel like the climax to RYV does have the sort of ending one would typically find in the newspaper strip...maybe that's because Slott is that hackneyed and cheesy as a writer, I don't know.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-12-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #147
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well, at least he's smart enough to come up with better villains than Paper Doll. THAT was the worst excuse for a character I've seen! Literally one dimensional villain..... Right up there with the walking trope encyclopedia of NEW Ms Marvel.... I want Carol back in the mantle, darn it. And why not let M-J use the Iron-Spider suit, while we're at it. I know a fic writer who made that idea awesome! She had a group of all female heroes (way before Marvel thought of it, I might add), and it included Ms Marvel, Sue Storm, M-J, Millie, Wasp, and an OC of hers named Whyte Spyder. I think Pepper Potts was in it too.....

Old 09-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #148
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some encouraging news....Ta-Nehisi Coates will be the writer for a new ongoing for Black Panther

Why bring this name up? Becuase it was only this year that Coates wrote an article in anticipation of the then-imminent Renew Your Vows series where he talked about growing up as a fan of Spider-Man during the marriage era and how it taught him to subvert the expectation of the macho ideal of romance. He also openly criticizes One More Day, saying that it deprived him of characters who acted like adults.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...n-love/384860/

I find it very encouraging that Marvel are choosing to recruit talents like this to work on their heroes, and it gives me hope this man will stick around long enough to perhaps get a crack at Peter and MJ themselves...if he's lucky it may be with the Renew Your Vows version of the Parker family, that is, if they survive Secret Wars, and if Marvel want to use them further.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #149
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Big spoiler for All-New Amazing Spider-Man

Spoiler:
The Regent is back already, and is now in the main Marvel Universe
Old 12-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #150
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I got the trade paperback of this for Christmas. Unlike the U.S release, it doesn't come with "Secret Love" as a bonus, but it does include the Spider-Verse prologue "The Little Things" and a gallery of all the variant covers used for the series.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-25-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #151
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Good news. The trade for RYV was tenth in the top ten trades of the year, and the only SW tie-in to break into said top ten.

Tags
spider-man