Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #1521
Sighphi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm sure Leonardo will grow into the leader as the show progresses. Out of all the changes I'm surprised this is the one triggering people instead of African American April.
people dont want to be called racist, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Agreed.

Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.

For the most part I'm not seeing people talk about what they like about Leo, just that he must lead.
Why must he lead?
Is that all he really is? All that character is capable of?
All of the turtles basically revolve around a single trait. Leo's trait is leadership. Being a leader isnt just barking out orders, it's managing the team to make sure they work together, protecting them, and making hard choices. This is what this character is built on.

This is known for this character and this is why this doesnt really need an explanation.

So when they say Raphael is the leader and he is described as being the same way he usual acts... that brings some questions on why is this new setup like this if they are looking like they are keeping their standard traits.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #1522
THGhost
Puppet Master

If Raph is the leader, where does that leave Leo?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #1523
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
If Raph is the leader, where does that leave Leo?
It says that he's a rebel, most likely he's going to lead the team eventually and take over from Raph by the end of Season 1.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #1524
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
It says that he's a rebel, most likely he's going to lead the team eventually and take over from Raph by the end of Season 1.
That seems a little pointless but I guess it'll be interesting to see.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #1525
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not even just the leader thing as I was saying... More simply put, it sounds like their changing his personality, the very nature of who he is, or at least that's how it reads to me, which is kind of depressing, and, to me, not fair to him. (It's a little like the rather thoughtless recast of Knoxville all over again because hey, it's just Leo, who cares...)

Can he have the occasional rebellious moment? Sure, esp if there is build up to it that makes sense. Just as in 2003 he can have an angry period, or lose confidence for while there or elsewhere, and so on. But have his personality based on being a Raph-like younger rebellious sibling... Wtf.

Even PD didn't screw with this part, however not-well it was written.

Keep hoping for it Cubed, I do hope your right, but, you know... speculation. If true though, why take Leo's older brother status away, it seems so pointless unless the did it to make a point. Or as a jab at him, though I'd hope not. (God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #1526
CyberCubed
Overlord

We're going to see a Leonardo who grows into becoming the leader rather than just being the leader from the start. Makes perfect sense. Raph also still has his hot-head personality and they said Leonardo is rebellious so they will fight as usual and eventually it'll probably lead to Raph stepping down and letting Leo lead the team.

I'm willing to bet this will be a plotline running through Season 1. Then Leo will begin to lead by the finale and into Season 2.

The Nick cartoon did the same thing with various plotlines, they took entire seasons to run their course.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #1527
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not even just the leader thing as I was saying... More simply put, it sounds like their changing his personality, the very nature of who he is, or at least that's how it reads to me, which is kind of depressing, and, to me, not fair to him. (It's a little like the rather thoughtless recast of Knoxville all over again because hey, it's just Leo, who cares...)

Can he have the occasional rebellious moment? Sure, esp if there is build up to it that makes sense. Just as in 2003 he can have an angry period, or lose confidence for while there or elsewhere, and so on. But have his personality based on being a Raph-like younger rebellious sibling... Wtf.

Even PD didn't screw with this part, however not-well it was written.

Keep hoping for it Cubed, I do hope your right, but, you know... speculation. If true though, why take Leo's older brother status away, it seems so pointless unless the did it to make a point. Or as a jab at him, though I'd hope not. (God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?)
I completely agree. I don't like what they're doing with Leo at all. Just sounds like change for the sake of change.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #1528
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Cubed is still in denial that Leo will be leader. It'll take him a while, remember he went on for months that the 2012 hadn't been cancelled.

This show will break the conventions of what TMNT should be, hence the changes. I'm guessing no Shredder as well, obscenely different origin, no returning mutants that we like, no nods to anything from previous incarnations. We'll be so tired of all the changes we'll be wishing Shredder be in it even if its Eric Sacks underneath the mask.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #1529
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
God, I feel kind of like 2012 Raph fans insisting that the creators hate him. Is that what this is going to be?
I really don't get where that came from. 2012 Raph was a great character imho.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #1530
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
I completely agree. I don't like what they're doing with Leo at all. Just sounds like change for the sake of change.
The first episode hasn't even aired yet. We haven't even seen any designs yet. At least wait till we see this stuff before passing judgement of how they're handling Leonardo.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #1531
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
We're going to see a Leonardo who grows into becoming the leader rather than just being the leader from the start. Makes perfect sense. Raph also still has his hot-head personality and they said Leonardo is rebellious so they will fight as usual and eventually it'll probably lead to Raph stepping down and letting Leo lead the team.

I'm willing to bet this will be a plotline running through Season 1. Then Leo will begin to lead by the finale and into Season 2.

The Nick cartoon did the same thing with various plotlines, they took entire seasons to run their course.
You sitting in the studio reading the scripts?

I don't disagree with allowing him to grow into the position. That's fine and all. 2012 Leo did the same, even if Splinter's decision was fast and Leo didn't face any competition. However...

I don't understand where they get idea to make him rebellious though. In what way does that even make sense to his personality since the typical attitude of rebelliousness kind of conflicts with who he generally is as a person.

They're going to make him a rebel to then what... magically change and become responsible?

Is he going to be disrespectful to Splinter now, too?

Quote:
The first episode hasn't even aired yet. We haven't even seen any designs yet. At least wait till we see this stuff before passing judgement of how they're handling Leonardo.
I think people who are most interested in this character have the freedom and right to be concerned if not liking what we're hearing so far, limited as it may be...

I wouldn't fault Raph fans for feeling the same, though not much detail has been given yet to worry on that front...unless your speculations are true and they set it up to screw him over the way some of his fans too often felt 2012 did. Which would be sad to see happen again and turn into a jab at him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I really don't get where that came from. 2012 Raph was a great character imho.
I liked him just fine myself, but I recall there being quite a bit of complaint about how he was supposedly being treated, or so some said over the course of the series.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-02-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #1532
CyberCubed
Overlord

As I said before, when the Nick show was first coming out in 2012 and the news of Leonardo being slightly nerdy and liking a Space Heroes sci-fi show people were freaking out, and then it turned out perfectly fine when the episodes aired. People were also making a big deal out of a taller Splinter for the first time, and Nick's Splinter turned out to be one of the most popular incarnations.

I'm sure it'll be similar here. Leonardo will of course still have his role as always, it's not like all the Turtles always listen to the leader in any episodes of any cartoon. The Turtles all do their own thing half the time.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #1533
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
I liked him just fine myself, but I recall there being quite a bit of complaint about how he was supposedly being treated, or so some said over the course of the series.
I don't see it tbh, but whatever.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #1534
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

So much news regarding this new show.

Some pretty dumb changes made just for the sake of change, but I was already expecting the worst so they don’t really surprise me.
I figured this show was gonna suck, and so far there’s been nothing to convince me otherwise.

At least there’s still IDW.
Geez, I miss Mirage.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #1535
CyberCubed
Overlord

The show is gonna suck because April is black and Raph might temporarily lead the team?

I don't think so. Depends entirely on the writing and execution.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #1536
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:

You seem to believe they're actually aiming at serious character development, ongoing narrative and intricated plot lines, just wait until the show airs and is just nonsense plots, standalone episodes, cliche stereotypes and nonsense "humor" the more we learn about this thing the more it reeks of fail, kudus for a black April though, maybe now people finally learn that she doesn't have to be a redhead all the time and in fact she wasn't always one to begin with...
Old 11-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #1537
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
You seem to believe they're actually aiming at serious character development, ongoing narrative and intricated plot lines, just wait until the show airs and is just nonsense plots, standalone episodes, cliche stereotypes and nonsense "humor" ..
Why do you think there's going to be no plotlines, ongoing continuity, etc? The show looks to be a traditional action cartoon, it'll probably have the same type of narrative the Nick cartoon had.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #1538
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
it's the New 52 for TMNT.

in a way i'm kind of glad in this direction they are taking with the show.
it's going to be a lot easier on my wallet not feeling compelled to stream new episodes or buy the dvd releases.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #1539
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
The show is gonna suck because April is black and Raph might temporarily lead the team?

I don't think so. Depends entirely on the writing and execution.
Speculation... But I appreciate the belief that this thing will 'right' itself.

Is April confirmed, or are we just assuming that too? I mean... there isn't any kind of rule that an actor has to match their character in that regard. Though a black April might be cool to see. (Though after the teen April, well, any of her big fans that were wanting something again more like previous series... Welcome to the same boat.) However she turns out, I do at least hope she's an adult again, but not going to hold my breath.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #1540
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

Is April confirmed, or are we just assuming that too? I mean... there isn't any kind of rule that an actor has to match their character in that regard. Though a black April might be cool to see. (Though after the teen April, well, any of her big fans that were wanting something again more like previous series... Welcome to the same boat.) However she turns out, I do at least hope she's an adult again, but not going to hold my breath.
Yeah, the article and VA says she'll be playing the first African American April O'Neil.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters