The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why do you think we keep getting so many high quality TMNT figures now?

...outside of Playmates.

I remember back in the early 2000's the Playmates Cold Cast Statues were such a huge shock at the time:

These were the first real high quality TMNT figurines/statues ever made, not to mention the Mirage TMNT on top of that. We never really had anything like this before.

A few years later we got the NECA TMNT, and again people were shocked. The MIRAGE TMNT were getting toys for the first time? And then the promise of Shredder/Foot/Elite Guard (which didn't come out till like a decade later...LMAO), and so forth.

But nowadays it seems every time I turn around some new company is making some high quality TMNT figures. We have Mirage TMNT figures, 90's movie figures, figures based on the Arcade game, toon accurate figures based on the 80's show for the first time, etc. The list is endless. All this stuff was nothing but a pipedream to us "original fans" who grew up in the 90's and early 2000's, just ask anyone here around 30 years old or older, they can tell you the same.

Man, you "young kids" don't realize how good you have it. Back in my day my generation got our rare TMNT toys from Toys R Us or KayBee...and we liked it!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man, you "young kids" don't realize how good you have it. Back in my day my generation got our rare TMNT toys from Toys R Us or KayBee...and we liked it!
But they ARE for this generation. Clearly, makers of collectables have come to realize that there is definitely a market for stuff aimed at adults.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
tmntman
Mad Scientist

There's likely two major factors. Viacom owns the property now and they are less likely to leave any potential money on the table. And secondly, the TMNT fans have grown up. I am roughly the ideal age for a first generation TMNT fan having been ten when the cartoon and toy line hit. It took another 15 to 20 years to reach a point in life where people my age had the disposable income to buy higher end TMNT items. (Lets not forget that those Playmates cold cast statues were a retail failure. And NECA couldn't sell enough of their Mirage Turtles at the time to keep the line going without mass market retailer support.)

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

we have jobs now and want to keep our childhoods alive in this miserable world.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior

Mostly has to do with the TMNT property being sold to Viacom. So that more business oriented people knows how to operate and run the franchise.
That's how they were able to launch a new comic book series, new cartoon and new movie series at the same time.
Kind of like how once Disney acquired Star Wars there was a huge boom in coverage.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I find it highly ironic because when Mirage owned the property outside of Playmates we only got the NECA TMNT and that's it. All this other stuff didn't happen till after 2010
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
cloud
Stone Warrior

Peter Laird is an older gentleman that somehow slowly lost interest in running the TMNT franchise. From what I read, he is somewhat conservation when it comes to the TMNT. I'm sure a lot of fans agree with his points. He doesn't like the turtles to variate to much from the basic original designs. So they Bay movies will totally be something he isn't comfortable with.
It was a brace move on his end. He knew he won't be able to bring the turtles back in to their early glory days. So he chose to sell it to a company that is interested in the longevity of the turtles.

I don't see much irony in it. TMNT is an independent comic book that gain insane popularity in pop culture. If you compare to Batman or Spiderman. Those properties are not ran by their creators but a big company that wants to keep them going forever and making them butt loads of money.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

That's where the money is...

I believe the truth has been setting in that children just don't get the same enjoyment out of toys like many of us did back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I DO realize there are still really cool parents who try and rub off the nostalgic fun with their own children, but I'm guessing that trend is in the minority sadly. Kids want iPads and phones...adults want toys, haha.

The things I see kids collecting these days is all weird and disposable crud that they can easily part with when the time comes to donate/purge stuff.

With Toys R Us and all other toy stores being a thing of the past, it's come down to the collectors who seek out collectibles and toys...trying to reclaim our past and build up our collections. I have enough crap to fill a house, yet I live in a single bedroom apartment. I'm a sucker for this stuff and companies know it. I'm not complaining at all though because with how things have been currently in the market...it reminds me of the great heyday of Playmates in its prime.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant

i've had thoughts about this too, so I'm glad someone decided to start this topic.

I feel really happy that ... there is CHOICE in high quality figs and statues.

FIGURES DISCUSSION
I think for the figures - i imagine that companies like NECA who positioned themselves in a very good spot to deliver on TMNT were finally given the chance to expand to the masses. In general, when I started collecting in 2009, NECA was placed under some restrictions in order not to compete with playmates toys. Its all on the table now because fans want higher quality figs, at a reasonable price. Their test for these at SDCCs were hugely successful.

I am not sure what is happening with playmates at this point, but I did enjoy their work on the classic collection. Likely it did not sell as they had intended, but they were decent.

Finally SH Figuart's run on the TMNT were high quality but the price point was much too expensive for many fans (although I bought them), I found that its easily $200 for 4 figures. Which is hard if you want a line like TMNT to lift off.

LARGE FIGURES/STATUES
I've always wanted a set of the cold cast TMNT.

However, in recent years, there were a few runs that I enjoyed.

MONDOTEES TMNT - they actually were able to provide not only the original comic turtles in 1/6 scale, they also did the first turtle, which I thought was cool.

NECA - The 1/4 scale First movie turtles were amazing. I bought a few sets because i liked them so much.

Threezero - unfortunate that the movies didn't do that well, however their high quality 1/6 scale figures are really cool with excellent paint, fabric parts and cool little details. I have a set of the 2014 movie ones. Will eventually pick up the Out of the shadows ones, because they even have bebop and rocksteady.

PCS Toys - the FW Cartoon turtles now will get some amazing statues which are still to be released.

Long story short, I think its because we are the fans. And we vote with our wallets. It is the era of the geek. (comparatively, theres some guys that collect a crazy amount of hot toys which are very very expensive). So why not for TMNT.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Why? Because it’s a franchise that is old and popular enough to enter the high quality collector market. It’s happened to plenty of things. Basically all stuff in pop culture has its own collector merchandise. It has nothing to do with selling the turtles or whatever.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 AM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

TMNT is so much bigger and well-established as a franchise now (even if it's not the same as craze as between 1989–1991)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
FIGURES DISCUSSION
I think for the figures - i imagine that companies like NECA who positioned themselves in a very good spot to deliver on TMNT were finally given the chance to expand to the masses. In general, when I started collecting in 2009, NECA was placed under some restrictions in order not to compete with playmates toys. Its all on the table now because fans want higher quality figs, at a reasonable price. Their test for these at SDCCs were hugely successful.
NECA is under the same restrictions now that they were under back in 2007. Only the market has changed. Back then, NECA was selling through Toys R Us as a major outlet. But Toys R Us was considered a mass market toy retailer just like Target and Walmart. With Toys R Us now gone and Gamestop trying to broaden their market to make up for video games sales going to digital, NECA now has a retailer interested in their product that is considered a specialty retailer instead.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #13
Scumbug
Random Punk

I imagine it may be because the people making the toys now are the people who grew up with them. They understand the fan base and what toys we have always wanted.

Always wanted a Kenner style Tarkin. In 2019 I got one.
Always wanted a Man At Arms with a moustache in scale with vintage MOTU; now we have 2 options from Super 7 and Mattel.
Always wanted Hasbro to redo transformers as super articulated versions of the Generation 1 line; a huge chunk of their current product is just that.

As for TMNT right now; I love the stuff NECA, Super 7 and Mondo are doing but unfortunately not the scale I want to invest in. Fantastic for the people who like the larger scales though.

What a time to be alive. 80's toy lovers will be looking back at 2019/2020 with great fondness.
Scumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite

The only high quality TMNT figures (not statues or busts) made in this century so far have been the NECA 1990 Movie figures in both sizes and the regular NECA 2008 Mirage Comics figures that were sold in stores. The other ones have mainly been a waste of plastic with the exception of the Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpt, of course. Unfortunately, there are many Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpts with lazy eyes (Playmates was rushing to get them out to customers).

Otherwise, the 1988 Playmates toy line from the first wave to the fifth (1990) or seventh (1991) wave is as high quality as it gets for Turtles fans. Nothing beats the originals.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The only high quality TMNT figures (not statues or busts) made in this century so far have been the NECA 1990 Movie figures in both sizes and the regular NECA 2008 Mirage Comics figures that were sold in stores. The other ones have mainly been a waste of plastic with the exception of the Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpt, of course. Unfortunately, there are many Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpts with lazy eyes (Playmates was rushing to get them out to customers).

Otherwise, the 1988 Playmates toy line from the first wave to the fifth (1990) or seventh (1991) wave is as high quality as it gets for Turtles fans. Nothing beats the originals.
You have a weird taste preferring Playmates botched Classics over Bandai's SH Figuarts, Revoltech and NECA's non-movie figures

And we've gotten several high-end 1:6th scale figures as well
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Do you think this is mostly due to nostalgia? I mean, I loved those figures as a kid, but I never looked back once I was introduced to Mcfarlane, Neca, etc...

I don't have much expertise on figures, so maybe I'm not appreciating the Playmates figures for what they are, I don't know.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Do you think this is mostly due to nostalgia? I mean, I loved those figures as a kid, but I never looked back once I was introduced to Mcfarlane, Neca, etc...

I don't have much expertise on figures, so maybe I'm not appreciating the Playmates figures for what they are, I don't know.
This is something I have always thought about. I always keep going back to classic Playmates figures. All the old stuff was so unique and had lots of different paint applications. Such an awesome contrast compared to newer Playmates figures.

Yes, the new NECA stuff is amazing, but I didn't grow up with it, so I would most likely part with the newer stuff before I dare ever part with my original toys.

I'm all about nostalgia, but the old school stuff was also a lot of fun. NECA is meant to be displayed because it's much more fragile. So while I adore all this new stuff, it will never ever beat the original Playmates line for me personally.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
You have a weird taste preferring Playmates botched Classics over Bandai's SH Figuarts, Revoltech and NECA's non-movie figures

And we've gotten several high-end 1:6th scale figures as well
The FW turtles were never as cartoony as SH Figuarts and NECA 2017 SDCC figures. The Revoltech pertains to the 2k12 Turtles cartoon and not the original. Not many people outside of Turtles fans and children of this decade pay attention to the 2k12 Turtles. The FW Turtles and 1990 Movie Turtles will always be the most iconic and definitive versions of the turtles.

Classic Collection Michelangelo has a head sculpt similar to the face we see Michelangelo make in the opening to the 1987 FW mini-series and 1988 FW syndicated show. That looks to be as high end as it gets for FW toon fans as of right now.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Yes. The 1988 Playmates Toys Turtles line from 1988 to 1991 was like nothing else before then for the readers of the Mirage comic book and cartoon watchers in those years. The ‘88 toy line were the last important action figures of the 1980s and most inventive and original idea for an action figure line in the 20th century, period.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverNinja View Post
This is something I have always thought about. I always keep going back to classic Playmates figures. All the old stuff was so unique and had lots of different paint applications. Such an awesome contrast compared to newer Playmates figures.

Yes, the new NECA stuff is amazing, but I didn't grow up with it, so I would most likely part with the newer stuff before I dare ever part with my original toys.

I'm all about nostalgia, but the old school stuff was also a lot of fun. NECA is meant to be displayed because it's much more fragile. So while I adore all this new stuff, it will never ever beat the original Playmates line for me personally.
The paint applications to the original Playmates figures are what makes it stand out over other toy lines from the 80s (excluding G.I. Joe). Unfortunately, the paint application overkill was what ruined the toy line and Toxic Crusaders for children of the 90s.

The ‘88 toy line is remembered for the 1988 and 1989 figures, vehicles, and accessories today because those were well put together. Like most people, I am picky with the fourth and third waves from 1990. The reason I extended the Playmates line to the seventh wave in an earlier post was because it consisted of the last memorable characters that children of the 80s and 90s loved. The Movie Foot Soldier and Super Shredder were welcome editions to the toy line. Some ‘88 toy line collectors prefer Super Shredder to the first wave Shredder. Past the ‘91 mark, there are so many unknown characters that were not promoted well in the FW CBS Saturday cartoon [or even Archie Comic books] that the line started to ultimately tank.

The first wave turtles from 1988 are must haves for any Turtles fan because they were the first ever pose-able action figures of the turtles. The first wave turtles were great for what they were. The soft heads are more sought after, but most of the hard heads were displayable, also. Michelangelo was the only hard head I did not like seeing on the shelves back then.