The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Any First-Time Adult TMNT Fans?

By which I mean, is there anyone in the TMNT fandom that became a first-time fan as an adult, and not as rediscovering or continuing to love the Turtles from their childhood?

I know that I wouldn't be interested in the Turtles now if I hadn't been a part of the Turtlemania from the late 80's / early 90's. I'm just curious if any adult has ever been exposed to the Turtles for the first time, watched an episode or read a comic book, and said to themselves, "This is kinda cool!"
Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Jephael
That whack job behind you

There's actually a woman by the name Cynlee who I know got into the TMNT when the 4Kids series premiered, though I don't believe she frequents the Technodrome forum. I know she's on TMNT-L, but that forum isn't very active these days.

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/Jephael
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jephael
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeOughton

Sadly I no longer frequent this community, but please give it a shot. You never know who you might connect with. I will forever cherish the fond memories I have of the fandom as it was in its heyday. Peace and love to you all - Later, dudes!!!
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Probably has happened sometimes among Mirage readers. (actually most TMNT fans up to 1987). Also depends a lot on if you count teenagers.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
evan2000
Stone Warrior

TMNT is 30+ years old, so anyone who became a fan as an adult must be at least 50 years old by now? Maybe you should ask if there are any >50 years old fans around here.

I recall some of the members here mentioned that their parents also enjoy watching TMNT together with them, so they could be the older-adult fans you are referring to.

I don't suppose there are anyone in their 20's or 30's today only discovering TMNT for the first time in this day and age, as they were obviously kids in the 1990's and it's impossible to not know about TMNT at all during that peak popularity period.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Nameless
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
TMNT is 30+ years old, so anyone who became a fan as an adult must be at least 50 years old by now? Maybe you should ask if there are any >50 years old fans around here.
unless they just never watched or saw the show when they were younger and only recently started watching turtles...

My Collection:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...09#post1103509
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
unless they just never watched or saw the show when they were younger and only recently started watching turtles...
In that case they must be literally living in the sewers... and should have met the turtles in person anyway
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, it's not entirely out of the question that some people may have simply had other interests as kids, or they were not allowed to watch it, and finally became enlightened in more recent years. Since TMNT appeals to such a wide range, no shame in any being a late bloomer.

Quote:
In that case they must be literally living in the sewers... and should have met the turtles in person anyway
Oh, well then patience to become a fan pays off in that case.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Nameless
Mad Scientist

Quote:
or they just never gave it a chance and dismissed it... i'm not saying they never heard of ninja turtles i'm saying they weren't fans until they got older and actually watched the show...

My Collection:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...09#post1103509
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the original adults who got into the Mirage comics in 1984 probably dropped the series around issue 11 after the Turtles hit mainstream media.

As said if you were 20 back in 1984 you'd be about 50 years old now...
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Meliwen
Foot Soldier

I'm in my 20s and have only become a fan about 3 years ago. Before that I'm sure I was vaguely aware they existed, but I would not have been able to tell you anything about them. At all. My only memory of seeing the turtles in cartoon form before the 2012 series was just a very short glimpse of the 2003 series, since I recall seeing some turtles kicking butt and talking about time travel. And that whole experience lasted less than a few minutes before I changed the channel. 'Course I watched the 2007 movie, and while I liked it, it didn't intrigue me more than any other movie I liked at that time. Then the 2012 series aired, and that's when I became a fan.

I think it was a mixture of not always being able to get the channel it played on, and just plain not having them on my radar at the time, so if they were on I never bothered to check it out. I don't even remember seeing any commercials for them, but it could be that I had just forgotten about those the second they were done airing, haha.
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote