The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wii U questions

Does it basically function like a Switch? How many controllers will it accept, and how does that work? All wirelessly, I am assuming... but how do you register them? I vaguely remember when I had the original Wii a button you press on the controller... like that?

Also, how does Mario Party 10 compare to Super Mario Party on Switch?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I love the Wii U and have most of the first-party games for it. Ironically, Mario Party 10 is one I don't have, since I don't have regular opportunity for "couch play" with someone else, and the fact that the game didn't get good reviews and I've never been a big fan of the series anyway.

The Wii U is similar to the Switch in that both systems can be considered "portable" to the extend that a TV or monitor isn't required to play, however the Wii U gamepad must remain within a few feet of a powered console. The Switch is entirely contained in the gamepad, so it isn't encumbered by an external unit.

Also, the Wii U is a touchscreen-based console like the Switch. The Wii U has one advantage over the Switch in that it allows for "dual screen" play on certain games while the Switch must either be in portable mode or decked for TV play. The Wii U didn't have a lot of games that made extensive use of this feature, but it could be fun when a game used it well like Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD or Star Fox Zero.

One thing I hate is that the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild had a key feature removed from final release, presumably so that no one could say the Wii U version had an advantage over the Switch. The Wii U version planned to incorporate that dual screen feature to aid with navigation and HUD options and maybe some other things. But it was scrapped very late in the game once it became a dual-console title.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Does it basically function like a Switch? How many controllers will it accept, and how does that work? All wirelessly, I am assuming... but how do you register them? I vaguely remember when I had the original Wii a button you press on the controller... like that?

Also, how does Mario Party 10 compare to Super Mario Party on Switch?
1. No, you can play some games without a TV but sometimes both screens are used and it always needs to be plugged in.
2. It will accept the screen controller but only one of those, for multiplayer it'll accept wii motes and standard controllers. Local multiplayer allows for five people at once.
3. Same as on the Wii, push sync buttons.
4. I haven't played Mario Party since 4.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Would you guys recommend buying a Wii U to someone who owns a Switch?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I had a Wii U since it launched and I regret it to this day, that's not to say it didn't have great content, it did but it's now most of it on the Switch in one way or another. In a way it really is a beta Switch and because of the uniqueness of the console, how little it sold, having great content, the hardware etc it'll become an expensive cult classic in a few years so if you want one better get one now.

Yes you can play games on your tablet controller but because it's streaming from the console and not doing any computing that means you have to be in the same room and that's hella annoying, I remember walking to the kitchen right next to the living room after getting it and had already lost connection, I really expected more. Because of that you also can't use the Wii U youtube/netflix apps while playing another game, your tv would need a separate netflix/youtube app to take advantage of watching netflix while playing the Wii U.

You can connect up to 8 controllers but maybe more, you can connect a wii remote which means all the Wii controllers are also compatible, there's an official adapter for gamecube ports so any gamecube controllers are also compatible, the Wii U pro controller and tons of third party bluetooth controllers also supported so there's plenty of options. All wireless like on the Wii (slightly easier) unless you're using the gamecube adapter which of course will have cords (unless you use a wavebird).
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Most of the most popular games have been ported to the Switch or 3DS. So it would really depend on what title(s) you're buying it for. I bought my Wii U to play Yoshi's Crafty World, and although it has been ported to 3DS, I really enjoy the experience of playing it on the Wii U.

It is also handy to use now to watch Netflix, as the Switch, for whatever reason, doesn't have a Netflix app.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Shark_Blade
Emperor

There are several gems on the Wii U which is why I bought one off ebay recently (mine died).

Namely:

- Splatoon
- Super Mario 3D land
- Legend of zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Legend of zelda: Windwaker HD
- Super Smash bros U (experience un-nerfed Bayonetta as the most powerful OP that she is)
- Super Mario Maker
- Sonic Lost World
- Sonic Boom (it’s badly reviewed but it’s my guilty pleasure)
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Plus it can play wii games (i.e. Legend of zelda Skyward Sword etc) which is a big plus because wii is a mess to setup.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

If I remember the Wii U "upscales" Wii games which means it might be best way to play old Wii content.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I'm actually interested in 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, etc. but I can't help but feel some of those games will get ported (probably not Lost World unfortunately as Sega's kinda funny on porting their games over to modern consoles).

The Virtual Console is said to be the biggest argument for owning a Wii U.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Iprobably not Lost World unfortunately as Sega's kinda funny on porting their games over to modern consoles).
You can get it through Steam!

View my sketch work!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Are there games where I have to use that gamepad? Can I just set it down by the console and forget about it, just use normal controllers?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
You can get it through Steam!
Without the Yoshi and Zelda DLC, though.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Are there games where I have to use that gamepad? Can I just set it down by the console and forget about it, just use normal controllers?
At least for the initial setup, you just about always have to use the Wii U gamepad before setting your controls to a preferred controller like a Wiimote or Pro Controller. Most games do allow you options, but a few pesky games will force usage of the Gamepad for certain features.

Quote:
Without the Yoshi and Zelda DLC, though.
Indeed, that was a real treat for loyal Sega and Nintendo fans. I was very excited about the NiGHTS into Dreams DLC (all free) too, and Sega deserves credit for making multiple updates to Lost World after some mixed reviews after its launch.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Basically my reasons for seeking a Wii U are only two, but it's enough for me:

#1: I've gotten great enjoyment from playing Super Mario Party on Switch with others of late. But there's only 3 maps and Nintendo hasn't done any DLC for it at all and apparently has no plans to. And 3 maps is getting stale fast. I've read that Mario Party 10 for Wii U has tons of maps, and way more minigames.

#2: All the Wii/Wii U Zelda games that may or may not ever show up on Switch and if they do, might be years off.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The Wii U gamepad is perfectly fine to use as the primary controller. To me anyway. If you were thinking it’s too big or uncomfortable.

The only thing I’d say is it loses charge kinda fast so I just kept it plugged in. Again I guess some find it too annoying to use a wired controller now but I don’t mind.

I don’t have it setup right now, my Switch is hooked up, but I always saw the Wii U as more of a giant DS even though Nintendo promoted the switching feature.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I think the Wii U version of BotW has a better framerate, which might be true for for other ports as well. And because Nintendo isn't doing Virtual Console anymore in favor of streaming NES games (and only NES games), the Wii U has plenty of SNES, N64, GBA, DS and TG16 games that may not even end up on Switch.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
it'll become an expensive cult classic in a few years so if you want one better get one now.
Truthfully, it's getting cheaper at Gamestop so I don't know if it'll become more expensive over there.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm seeing it for like $70 at pawn stores. One of these days.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:49 AM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I'm seeing it for like $70 at pawn stores. One of these days.
Important to find one that doesn't have any noticeable issues with the gamepad screens or controls, since that is essential to the system's play factor.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 AM   #20
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
The Wii U gamepad is perfectly fine to use as the primary controller. To me anyway. If you were thinking it’s too big or uncomfortable.
Seconded. I bought a separate controller because I assumed I would hate the big gamepad, but I just always use the big gamepad and never the controller.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote