The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Danetello
Stone Warrior
 
Danetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 511
Question The Utrom Council and Guardians and Shredder's "death".

So, I have been introducing my husband to the 2003 TMNT series properly for the first time, with a complete rewatch from the start. This week we ploughed through season 1, and it occurred to me that the Guardians and the Utrom council were pretty stupid when Leo beheaded Shredder. From afar the Guardian sees the Shredder fall, and then immediately calls the Utrom council to inform them that Shredder is dead, and they believe him. While at this point obviously we aren't supposed to know Shredder is an Utom, and thus plot secrecy is important, in retrospect it was a pretty stupid move to assume that since he was beheaded that he was dead - the Guardian and all three of the council members should have known he was an Utrom in an exosuit.

Just my thoughts.
Danetello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,522
Yeah, I don't think they're the brightest Utroms overall (and honestly the most boring for me at least). Even Ch'rell. Mortu was plastered on an old newspaper as head of TCRI, using his own name! He's right there under your nose dude, just...read the paper!
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,227
Yes, yes, yes, and double yes. It's really odd that for how important continuity was in the series, the creators made such a large number of discrepancies during the first two seasons with Shredder being an utrom. I find it best not to think too much about Shredder actually being an utrom underneath, and enjoy him for being my personal favorite version of the character.
ABrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,018
Didn't he hold the sword of Tengu with no glove in Darkness on the Edge of Town?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,744
@Danetello
Definitely the biggest plot hole of the show. We've discussed it several times here, years ago. I forget what my personal headcanon was.

A couple of possible no-prizes:

- Perhaps exo-suits don't function without the head. So the fact that he landed face down, engulfed in flames gave them reason to believe he was burnt to death or suffocated. But he had a backup power supply.

- Perhaps they had reason to believe that the Sword of Tengu was powerful enough to kill an Utrom even if it only struck their exo-suit.

As cunning as Ch'rell was, it was out of character for him to play possum. So you just have to assume the Guardians saw that he didn't get up from that and called it good enough lol. Although, you'd think they would make an effort to retrieve the body so as to not reveal any Utrom presence to whoever found it.

I dunno, I'll do some searches of this section and see if any one has anything better.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,744
The only other theory I came up with was from an old post of mine.

Maybe the Council didn't want the guardians to know Shredder was an Utrom for whatever reason, so they figured Shredder would lay low for a while after his public decapitation and they could get the transmat up and running before he gave them any more flak.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Danetello
Stone Warrior
 
Danetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 511
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
A couple of possible no-prizes:

- Perhaps exo-suits don't function without the head. So the fact that he landed face down, engulfed in flames gave them reason to believe he was burnt to death or suffocated. But he had a backup power supply.

- Perhaps they had reason to believe that the Sword of Tengu was powerful enough to kill an Utrom even if it only struck their exo-suit.

As cunning as Ch'rell was, it was out of character for him to play possum. So you just have to assume the Guardians saw that he didn't get up from that and called it good enough lol. Although, you'd think they would make an effort to retrieve the body so as to not reveal any Utrom presence to whoever found it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
The only other theory I came up with was from an old post of mine.

Maybe the Council didn't want the guardians to know Shredder was an Utrom for whatever reason, so they figured Shredder would lay low for a while after his public decapitation and they could get the transmat up and running before he gave them any more flak.
I actually like all of the reasoning here! With such a well written series, it's a shame that sometimes there were just such obvious oversights.
Danetello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Didn't he hold the sword of Tengu with no glove in Darkness on the Edge of Town?
So did Master Splinter in Return To New York (part 2).
ABrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetello View Post
I actually like all of the reasoning here! With such a well written series, it's a shame that sometimes there were just such obvious oversights.
Yeah, I think I mostly stick with the last one about the guardians not knowing. The Search for Splinter/Tmnt in space/Secret origin saga took place no more than a couple of weeks after RTNY, so they had to have been extremely close to getting it up and running even if they needed Fugitoid and Don to help get it working.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #10
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,227
They REALLY should've just gave Shredder Yukio Mashimi's story. He should've been a fallen guardian whose lust for power (as well as Teng Shen) caused him to leave the guardians and either start or join the Foot. He would've still been resurrected by Karai using the worms in season two. At the end of season three he would've been exposed to the world as a crime lord at his big celebration and gone to prison. Oh well, like I said, he's still my favorite version of the character.
ABrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.