The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
pdizzle
Hench Mutant

Thumbs up Still think this movie is going to flop?

In less than 8 hrs the view count on youtube was at almost 2 million views for this trailer. Thats crazy....the internet was blowing up yesterday on this trailer and honestly its had its neggative feedbacks but when you compare numbers thats nothing to how many people liked this trailer or said they were going to go see this movie.....your thoughts?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
electric_sheep
Banned

That's not really that much. Man of steel had way more views and barley got it's budget back.
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
electric_sheep
Banned

Or i am possibly thinking of another movie...
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

I don't want this movie to flop.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I never thought the movie was gonna flop, it cater to the lowest denominator like Transformers did and will reel in big bucks.

Which will be sprinkled on good projects.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
pdizzle
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
I don't want this movie to flop.
me neither lol.... if anything I want to do good enough to at least give us sequals.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
electric_sheep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
me neither lol.... if anything I want to do good enough to at least give us sequals.
It will not flop, it will horrible and it will produce abysmal abomination of a sequel after sequel aka Transformers.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think it'll flop. I DO believe that a lot of TMNT fans severely over-estimate the popularity of the brand based on their own enthusiasm for it. History has shown, only a small number of people who call themselves "TMNT fans" will actually watch them on TV or, further still, pay money to see a movie, unless they have kids of their own. If everyone who said they loved and adored TMNT actually bought a ticket, the 2007 movie would have been a hit, and it wasn't.

I think it will meet some expectations and fall below others, financially. I don't think they're looking for or expecting "Avengers" money. No, and I mean NO way is that even a possibility. It'll make its budget back, but the fanbase is pretty solidly split on a lot of key things about the movie, and some people just aren't coming back on board this train.

That mid-August graveyard spot doesn't bode well, either. Think about it, do you have any idea how many parents, two weeks before school starts and in the midst of running around buying backpacks, shoes, school clothes, etc., and after already having shelled out a ton of cash shuffling their little mouth-breathers to the theater to see Captain America and Guardians and everything else all summer long, are actually gonna cave one last time for Ninja Turtles? Some, sure they will. But a lot won't. A LOT of parents are going to say, "you've been to the movies 20 times this summer and we just bought you those new Nikes you just had to have for school. We'll get you the DVD for Christmas, it's just a movie."

That IS going to happen. We'll see on what scale, but anyone who thinks that's not a factor is kind of naive. That is a flat-out awful spot on the summer calendar to release a movie, usually. It's gonna take a hit based on that, I'm almost sure.

"Flop", eh, I don't think so. Even if it's terrible, it'll have to be REALLY bad to scare off the "I'll go see it even if Megan Fox and Raphael have a hardcore scene together in the third act" crowd.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Pretty confident it won't flop.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
electric_sheep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Pretty confident it won't flop.
Yeah, and they will keep milking it until it's deader than Megan Foxes face.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
Yeah, and they will keep milking it until it's deader than Megan Foxes face.
Love how you talk about overmiliking something like it's a bad thing with the movies...but when it comes to the tv shows you're probably butter about it
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
electric_sheep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Love how you talk about overmiliking something like it's a bad thing with the movies...but when it comes to the tv shows you're probably butter about it
Which tv show? I am ready to hate everything that annoys me slightly.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think it'll flop. I DO believe that a lot of TMNT fans severely over-estimate the popularity of the brand based on their own enthusiasm for it. History has shown, only a small number of people who call themselves "TMNT fans" will actually watch them on TV or, further still, pay money to see a movie, unless they have kids of their own. If everyone who said they loved and adored TMNT actually bought a ticket, the 2007 movie would have been a hit, and it wasn't.

I think it will meet some expectations and fall below others, financially. I don't think they're looking for or expecting "Avengers" money. No, and I mean NO way is that even a possibility. It'll make its budget back, but the fanbase is pretty solidly split on a lot of key things about the movie, and some people just aren't coming back on board this train.

That mid-August graveyard spot doesn't bode well, either. Think about it, do you have any idea how many parents, two weeks before school starts and in the midst of running around buying backpacks, shoes, school clothes, etc., and after already having shelled out a ton of cash shuffling their little mouth-breathers to the theater to see Captain America and Guardians and everything else all summer long, are actually gonna cave one last time for Ninja Turtles? Some, sure they will. But a lot won't. A LOT of parents are going to say, "you've been to the movies 20 times this summer and we just bought you those new Nikes you just had to have for school. We'll get you the DVD for Christmas, it's just a movie."

That IS going to happen. We'll see on what scale, but anyone who thinks that's not a factor is kind of naive. That is a flat-out awful spot on the summer calendar to release a movie, usually. It's gonna take a hit based on that, I'm almost sure.

"Flop", eh, I don't think so. Even if it's terrible, it'll have to be REALLY bad to scare off the "I'll go see it even if Megan Fox and Raphael have a hardcore scene together in the third act" crowd.
THAT'S the big thing. Most movies that come out in August don't make their budget back.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
GrapeSoda
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
THAT'S the big thing. Most movies that come out in August don't make their budget back.
January is Hollywood's toilet and August is Hollywood's graveyard.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
February isn't a great month either.

Why it was such a surprise that Silence of the Lambs, a horror movie placed squarely in the February slot, did the business it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
Pondslider
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
In less than 8 hrs the view count on youtube was at almost 2 million views for this trailer. Thats crazy....the internet was blowing up yesterday on this trailer and honestly its had its neggative feedbacks but when you compare numbers thats nothing to how many people liked this trailer or said they were going to go see this movie.....your thoughts?
Rebecca Black's Friday video had over 167 million views. People watch things on youtube for lots of reasons.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondslider View Post
Rebecca Black's Friday video had over 167 million views. People watch things on youtube for lots of reasons.
Chief amongst them: Free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Bjarni
Hench Mutant

I doubt the movie will flop, I'm pretty sure that everyone is going to get hyped and that it will make big bucks at the box office.

I'm also sure that the movie is going to draw in a new crowd rather than older fans. They are probably aiming at the demographic that they just missed with the Nick cartoon show.

My biggest question is regarding the sequel. Will the movie make enough to be a franchise? And even if they decided to make a sequel, will people necessarily see it?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this film makes its money back but that it gets enough complaints that the TMNT movie franchise will once again be shut down for retooling.

My YouTube account
Bjarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's going to flop Green Lantern style. A trailer isn't the same as people actually paying to see it in theaters
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
MastahShredder
Stone Warrior

It'll do well with people who grew up watching now have kids of their own. It's a big movie.

Tags
live action films