The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #41
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
If i had a PS4 or a PC that could run it, id probably pick it up.
Exclusivity is tough to accept, in this case. A game so loved and competitive, everyone should be able to play it.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #42
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

I'm going to Magfest, where there will be olenty of competition. Anyone else?
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Hello, dead-for-a-year thread. The game comes out Tuesday. Who's getting it? Maybe we can get some matches going.
I'd love to... if my PC could run it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #44
chrisdude
Foot Elite

This is bumming me out.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #45
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Guile joins Street Fighter 5.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #46
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Trailer for the Cinematic Story Mode.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wish I could get excited about this but... just more of the same. 2D fighting games are pretty boring these days. I can't believe MK regressed to that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #48
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Slow internet, but a while ago, I saw a 4 min showing of the storymode, and I really wonder were Cammy got that package from when she gave it to Chun li lol.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #49
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wish I could get excited about this but... just more of the same. 2D fighting games are pretty boring these days. I can't believe MK regressed to that.
Regressed to what?
MK9 and MKX are the best in the series, when it comes to variety and gameplay. Or at least as good as modern MK can be.

Also, have completed SF5 story mode...it was "meh".
Character interactions were nice, but story itself was a mess and the mode had some technical issues - enormous loading times and disconnections with server.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #50
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Regressed to what?
MK9 and MKX are the best in the series, when it comes to variety and gameplay. Or at least as good as modern MK can be.

Also, have completed SF5 story mode...it was "meh".
Character interactions were nice, but story itself was a mess and the mode had some technical issues - enormous loading times and disconnections with server.
I really liked MK9. The older 2D MK games are quite outdated. So MK9 was a great way to remake the first 3 MK games into a single game.

SF4 was pretty good, but focus attacks weren't really needed. They kind of broke the game at times, imo. FADC was also pretty hard to pull off even for more seasoned players.

Eh, did you expect a Street Fighter game to have a decent story mode? I speak for myself only, but I play games like SF and KOF in order to face other players online competitively.

Fighters usually don't have solid story modes, anyway. Mortal Kombat might be the exception since the series has mostly been more about the universe itself, the violence and the atmosphere than the gameplay. Although I've been told that MKX is actually a very challenging game.

Has SFV gotten any new updates recently, btw?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Eh, did you expect a Street Fighter game to have a decent story mode? I speak for myself only, but I play games like SF and KOF in order to face other players online competitively.
I play fighting games for the story, characters and feel of controls.

I don't care about competitive factor and that's why all this whining from people who pretend to be members of fighting game community about, how it's not big issue that Street Fighter V don't have Arcade Mode and how Capcom should not care about casual fans, look hilarious to me. Like, Street Fighter V was the biggest fighting game franchise in the world exactly because it was able to attract casual fans and now, in the age, when MK routinely sells 5 million copies in several months, some people argue, that SF should cater only to select few people...well, Capcom did in a way and to this moment SFV sold close to 2 million copies...in 1,5 year. l.o.l.

It's not that I have expected SF story to be very good, but at least I hoped it will be competent on a technical level, without 2 minutes of loading times in-between cutscenes and constant server disconnections.

Quote:
Fighters usually don't have solid story modes, anyway.
It's not a justification to not to do a good story mode in a fighting game.

Quote:
Has SFV gotten any new updates recently, btw?
New costumes and rumors about Arcade mode.
Nothing big really.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #52
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Tried Menat yet? She's very popular at the moment.

Funny fan freaking out reaction
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #53
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Tried Menat yet? She's very popular at the moment.
Actually she made me return to SFV and now I play as her in Casual Matches.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Regressed to what?
From MK4 all the way through MK vs. DC Universe Mortal Kombat had made the jump into being a 100% 3D fighter. You can sidestep, move on all planes. And now you can't. Welcome right back to 1992.

It's too bad nobody bought Street Fighter X Tekken... but I get it. It regressed the Tekken characters to 2D so the Street Fighter characters wouldn't have to be changed to 3D, and that sucks. But now we'll never get Tekken X Street Fighter, which would have made everybody fight in 3D.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #55
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
From MK4 all the way through MK vs. DC Universe Mortal Kombat had made the jump into being a 100% 3D fighter. You can sidestep, move on all planes. And now you can't. Welcome right back to 1992.

It's too bad nobody bought Street Fighter X Tekken... but I get it. It regressed the Tekken characters to 2D so the Street Fighter characters wouldn't have to be changed to 3D, and that sucks. But now we'll never get Tekken X Street Fighter, which would have made everybody fight in 3D.
You sound very...how to put it...regressive and narrowminded.

2D fighting games are not regressive, they just different subgenre. And if you think that just because gameplay is in 2D, the game is the same as in 1992, than you are even more...odd banana, than I thought. Or you don't understand fighting games at all or have never played them.

It's like considering 2D platformers regressive compared to 3D ones. It's stupid.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
You sound very...how to put it...regressive and narrowminded.
You sound like someone who really likes 2D fighters from 1992.

Quote:
2D fighting games are not regressive, they just different subgenre. And if you think that just because gameplay is in 2D, the game is the same as in 1992
Oh, there's new bells and whistles and combos and even styles of combos, and maybe the camera even whips around on a 3D plane at times... but you're still locked onto a 2D plane. If a kick or punch is thrown, your options are jump to avoid it, duck, or move backwards... no sideways movement.

Cool in 1992. Bizarre in 2017.

Quote:
It's like considering 2D platformers regressive compared to 3D ones. It's stupid.
What? How is taking a fighting series that evolved from 2D into 3D then back into 2D anything but the perfect definition of regressive?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

Well not having an Arcade Mode seems silly. Street Fighter indeed appeal more to the hardcores than to the casuals, since Tekken and MK outsell SF, but every fighter should have an Arcade Mode.

Quote:

Oh, there's new bells and whistles and combos and even styles of combos, and maybe the camera even whips around on a 3D plane at times... but you're still locked onto a 2D plane. If a kick or punch is thrown, your options are jump to avoid it, duck, or move backwards... no sideways movement.

What? How is taking a fighting series that evolved from 2D into 3D then back into 2D anything but the perfect definition of regressive?
I personally am not a big fan of 3D fighters overall, although Tekken 5 was pretty solid. I just prefer 2D fighters myself, I guess. Dunno why but I just do.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #58
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Oh, there's new bells and whistles and combos and even styles of combos
Combos? You mean the very thing that is the core foundation of fighting games?

Quote:
Because that's not how any of this works? Like CGI versus 2D animation, 3D games have and will never completely supplant 2D games. They're not "better"... they're different. They work on completely different factors and appeal to their audiences differently.

I don't even know why you ever try to talk video games without at least knowing some basics first. Even noobs keep shutting you down around here.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Combos? You mean the very thing that is the core foundation of fighting games?
That's one piece of it. Fighting mechanics, even fighting styles in a game. I remember Mortal Kombat: Deception, you could toggle between about 3 or 4 different fighting styles (I remember one mode, you take out your melee weapon). Depending on your mood and interest, you could play through the game 100 times or against others, and every time have a completely different experience. All the while being able to freakin' sidestep.

Quote:
Because that's not how any of this works? Like CGI versus 2D animation, 3D games have and will never completely supplant 2D games. They're not "better"... they're different. They work on completely different factors and appeal to their audiences differently.
Mortal Kombat 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 "appeal to their audiences differently" than MKs 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, and 11? That's pretty strange. And obviously untrue. I found the 3D gameplay of 4-8 added a neat extra layer to things, in addition to breaking MK out of the 2D box. It definitely didn't take anything away.

Quote:
I don't even know why you ever try to talk video games without at least knowing some basics first. Even noobs keep shutting you down around here.
You act like I don't play any. I was huge into MK until they regressed after MK vs DC. I always enjoy a good game of SF but I've gotten a bit bored with the same exact 2D-limited gameplay since Street Fighter 1 came out in 1987 (which isn't to say SF sucks... I'm just saying, to me, it's seeming more than a bit tired and doesn't show any interest in growing beyond its bubble of comfort). I'm huge into Tekken... Lei Wulong is my guy.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #60
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Modern 2D fighters play nothing like they old counterparts.
If you actually played them you would have knew it. Or maybe, you just don't care and you are one of those people who can't make difference between Pac-Man and Minecraft.

Quote:
LOL. It's like saying all First Person Shooters are the same because in every single one you are playing from First Person Perspective.
You are either trolling or really don't give a single **** about actually understanding what are you talking about.

And 2D perspective didn't stop new MK games selling millions, whereas, so "innovative" 3D games were barely selling beyond 1 million copies. Also, if you hadn't noticed most 3D fighting games are dead and most bestselling fighting games are in 2D. The same applies to Street Fighter 4.

Could it be, because, so "bad and outdated" 2D gameplay they are actually good game, that managed to bring some interesting innovations to the table, while most 3D fighting games were basically the same ****, which failed to make people care about them?

The sole reason why 3D fighting games were popular, because back in the day all 3D games were "hip and cool" and people were thinking like you "2D is outdated and sux". In the end history proved that 2D FGs are not outdated and your views are just plain ignorant.

Quote:
2D is outdated by itself. It's a different way of making fighting games and it has nothing to do with technology. Like making 2D platformer in 2017 is not regressive and outdated.

Quote:
That's one piece of it. Fighting mechanics, even fighting styles in a game. I remember Mortal Kombat: Deception, you could toggle between about 3 or 4 different fighting styles (I remember one mode, you take out your melee weapon). Depending on your mood and interest, you could play through the game 100 times or against others, and every time have a completely different experience. All the while being able to freakin' sidestep.
You can do it in any other fighting game, by using different combos and moves. If you can't figure out how to play game differently in 2D it's a problem with your imagination and experience. Learn how to play better, learn different moves and combos.

Also, MK: Decepdtion didn't had much variety in fighting styles. Developers started to homogenize all styles to make them similar to each other to make MKD closer to classic games. It resulted in many styles being truncated, compared to Deadly Alliance and some mechanics being universal for all characters, which was not the case in MKDA. MKA went further down that road and make characters play even more similar to each other.

Quote:
Mortal Kombat 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 "appeal to their audiences differently" than MKs 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, and 11? That's pretty strange. And obviously untrue.
You are wrong. Plain and simple.
After critical failure of MK4, Midway attempted to remake MK to appeal to Tekken crowd, because 3D fighting games were on the rise and 2D fightings were dying or becoming niche, hence a lot of ideas were borrowed straight from it.
Saying that "transition to 3D took nothing away" is another admission that you know absolutely nothing about fighting games and don't have even rudimentary understanding of mechanics.

Transition to 3D added 3D movement (duh!) and fighting styles. However, took away speed and traditional for MK accent on using special moves, like fireballs and teleportation. Even though MKDA was a good experiment, developers realized that they strayed from traditional MK gameplay too far and with each subsequent game, made them closer and closer to classic 2D entries, until in MK9 they have completely eliminated 3D movement and styles system, concentrating only on core fighting mechanics, perfecting classic 2D MK formula and guess what? The game has become enormous success, unlike 3D entries. So much for being outdated!!

Interestingly enough that by the end of the 00-s 3D fighting games were also mostly dead in the water. Only several series kept existing and most others have disappeared, which is a stark contrast to the times, when 2D fighting were ruling the scene, where you few big hits and many smaller games. Gladly Street Fighter 4 revived genre, but somewhat killed what little remained from 3D fighting games popularity, which in my opinion, not a big loss, since main appeal of 3D fightings were graphics. As soon as everybody got used to those, they have died.

Quote:
You act like I don't play any. I was huge into MK until they regressed after MK vs DC. I always enjoy a good game of SF but I've gotten a bit bored with the same exact 2D-limited gameplay since Street Fighter 1 came out in 1987 (which isn't to say SF sucks... I'm just saying, to me, it's seeming more than a bit tired and doesn't show any interest in growing beyond its bubble of comfort). I'm huge into Tekken... Lei Wulong is my guy.
You certainly sound like you haven't played any. Or at least, like you never took your time to properly understand what exactly you have played.
Comparing SF1 gameplay to modern 2D fightings is hilarious admission that you pack zero knowledge about subject.
2D fighting games constantly change and renovate themselves, which can be seen in mostly niche projects, but saying that they haven't grow from days of SF1 because they are using the same axis - is incredibly hilarious and incompetent statement. It's like saying that FPS haven't progressed since Wolfenstein 3D.