The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #161
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaohyami5000 View Post
Probably because "wars" is a pretty sensitive term nowadays.

Transformers Beast Wars got away with it, though Canada calls it Beasties instead.
I kind of meant this in a general sense, I guess the change to Fusion makes sense.

So what was Frontier and Savers called? Weren't they changed?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #162
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I kind of meant this in a general sense, I guess the change to Fusion makes sense.

So what was Frontier and Savers called? Weren't they changed?
Frontier was just Digimon
Savers became Data Squad

Toei/Bandai of Japan will never get into English
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #163
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
What exactly is the difference between watching on DVD and on Netflix?

Unless you really love switching dvds every 4 episodes.
I just prefer watching on dvd for better picture quality. Also, I like owning DVDs and don't mind having to switch them. I only watch 3-4 episodes at once anyway.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #164
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Frontier was just Digimon
Savers became Data Squad

Toei/Bandai of Japan will never get into English
By "general", I mean exactly that...general. Anything that used English in the original series but the English is changed to English for its dub.

Why change Digimon Savers to Data Squad? It's English > English. It's not a bad name or anything, just wondering why bother doing that.

Or Venus in DiC's dub of Sailor Moon. Why'd they bother changing Crescent Beam to Crescent Beam smash or Mars' attack. Burning Mandala was changed to Mars Fire Surround blah blah blah something. lol I dunno, just felt unnecessary to me.

There are more examples from other series, but it's like 5:30 in the morn here and I just woke up and still a bit groggy. ^^
Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #165
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I just remembered that I saw one of the last episodes of Tamers years ago, in which Jeri was trapped in a kernel sphere. I didn't know what was going on, though, and never saw the series after that.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #166
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I just prefer watching on dvd for better picture quality.
DVD's aren't HD; Netflix streaming is.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #167
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I just remembered that I saw one of the last episodes of Tamers years ago, in which Jeri was trapped in a kernel sphere. I didn't know what was going on, though, and never saw the series after that.
Oh yeah, forgot that Juri was changed to Jeri. Was she tied up and stuff? It may have been when she was trapped in that Dark Reaper thing and how down she was and how she was sort of in a suicidal state and was trying to choke herself with her hand puppet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
DVD's aren't HD; Netflix streaming is.
I know I'd prefer DVD because you don't need internet.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #168
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot that Juri was changed to Jeri. Was she tied up and stuff? It may have been when she was trapped in that Dark Reaper thing and how down she was and how she was sort of in a suicidal state and was trying to choke herself with her hand puppet...I know I'd prefer DVD because you don't need internet.
I haven't seen that episode in nearly a decade and I think it was aired early in the morning, so I wasn't paying too much attention to what was happening. Jeri did seem to be in an awful state. That was quite dark for a kid's anime. I prefer dvd as well for the same reason. I don't like depending on the Internet to watch tv shows.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #169
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
I will never understand the need to change English to English...
Dude, Wars.

Quote:
I just prefer watching on dvd for better picture quality. Also, I like owning DVDs and don't mind having to switch them. I only watch 3-4 episodes at once anyway.
^Has clearly never actually used Netflix

Quote:
Why change Digimon Savers to Data Squad? It's English > English. It's not a bad name or anything, just wondering why bother doing that.
This one confused me slightly, but I don't mind the change personally for two reasons:
-At least they stopped calling them just "Digimon"
-"Savers" just sounds really awkward as a word
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #170
Peanut
Second Gear

DVD kid has a point about picture quality. A nice DVD transfer of an older show on a good upscaler > SD shows in streaming quality. It's kind of like saying you prefer streaming quality HD to a proper Blu-Ray transfer. Not the same thing. It's not even the same as HD cable programming. Although it's much closer these days.

I also prefer owning a physical copy of a thing I love and will forever treasure. However, this is increasingly rare.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #171
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Dude, Wars.
XRos was supposed to be "Cross" to my knowledge. That 's why I said English to English.

Besides, someone answered...
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...&postcount=161
Quote:
This one confused me slightly, but I don't mind the change personally for two reasons:
-At least they stopped calling them just "Digimon"
-"Savers" just sounds really awkward as a word
I didn't even know that . I thought after Adventure, the dubs starting using the names Tamers, Frontier, etc.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #172
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
XRos was supposed to be "Cross" to my knowledge. That 's why I said English to English.
Yes, Xros is supposed to be "Cross". Though I will admit, the weird spelling doesn't make that incredibly clear at first, so I don't necessarily mind the series rename.

But my point is the word Wars being in the title. This should be self-explanatory.

Quote:
I didn't even know that . I thought after Adventure, the dubs starting using the names Tamers, Frontier, etc.
Nope. They're informally known as Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier, since most dub fans are familiar with the original series names [and find it an easy way to differentiate since calling them "seasons" is a misnomer] but when they were originally airing, they were just called "Digimon season [x]" or "Digimon: Digital Monsters".
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #173
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Yes, Xros is supposed to be "Cross". Though I will admit, the weird spelling doesn't make that incredibly clear at first, so I don't necessarily mind the series rename.

But my point is the word Wars being in the title. This should be self-explanatory.
Not really. We had "Beast Wars" didn't we? Then again, that was out in the mid 90s, way after the events of the short Persian Gulf War (about 1991).

Anyway like I said, someone already explained it.
Quote:
Nope. They're informally known as Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier, since most dub fans are familiar with the original series names [and find it an easy way to differentiate since calling them "seasons" is a misnomer] but when they were originally airing, they were just called "Digimon season [x]" or "Digimon: Digital Monsters".
Welp, news to me.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #174
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Haha, that's okay. I don't know a single person that doesn't refer to each series by its proper name, whether they watch the sub or not.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #175
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Not enough nade-nade. T_T
Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #176
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Funny thing, out of all the Digimon shows to revisit never expected it to be the 01 cast again, I always thought maybe they'd return to the 03 cast again at some point.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #177
ssjup81
Foot Elite

So...was anyone else into the music for the series? Either of them? Any themes? Or does anyone have any Digi merch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Funny thing, out of all the Digimon shows to revisit never expected it to be the 01 cast again, I always thought maybe they'd return to the 03 cast again at some point.
I kinda wish Tamers could've gotten a continuation too.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #178
Allio
Foot Elite

I have majority of the Wada Kouji songs on my Ipod, plus most of the Xros Wars themes

I don't have any english music because

1. The vocal music hasn't aged well
B. The instrumental reminds me of Saban's Masked Rider...and those are dark times I wish to forget

Digimon merch I have (Listing only important stuff)

1. Digivice series 2-6 (Adventure 02 - Savers are the english version while the Xros Loader is japanese. *UCK the Fusion loader)
2.D-Arts Dukemon
3.D-Arts Omegamon
4.SH Figuart Imperialdramon
5.Digimon Collectible card game returns vol 1.
6. Shoutmon X4 Fusion Builder Toy (The only decent Digimon Fusion toy)
7. SH Figuart Alphamon (on Pre-order)

I have the two starter decks of the Digimon Fusion card game...but the american versions ruins the japanese cards
Old 10-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #179
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I lost all my Digimon music in a hard drive failure and haven't gotten to redownloading them. All I have right now are the opening/ending themes for each series plus a few personal favourites. I spend a lot more time listening to World 1 and 2's OST, honestly.

I also got a lot of my Digimon merch stolen or lost in moves. I used to have the entire collection of American D3s [now all I can find is Ken's black one], as well as the entire collection of digivolving figures [and now my collection of those has been reduced to the hearty number of zero]. I also used to have Digimon World 3 and several figures, miniatures, and plushies. That's hundreds of dollars I'd have to spend to re-collect it all...

What have I been able to find?

Digivices: Original Vpet v1, Xros Wars Mini, black D3, American D-Terminal, Data Link Digivice, Digimon Neo [original is by far the best one I've played with tbh and regret purchasing half the others]
Toys: Agumon plush, a handful of figures [Veemon, Agumon, Tentomon, Magnadramon, Tyrannomon, Agunimon], and about 30 miniatures.

Oh, I also have a poster of the Adventure kids, Digimon Worlds 1 and 2 along with their strategy guides, a shirt, a Veemon pillow, and a Chinook Crafts crest of courage [which isn't official but what Adventure fan doesn't want one]

I never had any of the Adventure digivices because as a kid I couldn't decide on which one I wanted and I didn't like that they didn't come in the neutral teal-ish colour... missed out on something memorable there. I also have a bunch of those trading cards as well as some digi-battle cards but I don't like them and wish I had gotten more figures with that money instead, ugh.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #180
pharaohyami5000
Thug

The music background (and the outtros) of all Digimon anime are very enjoyable, and their songs (intro and insert songs mainly) are kick-ass! Really pumps up my mood of watching the series, though their last insert song (Legend of Xros Wars or something like that?) was a bit lackluster.
pharaohyami5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digimon