The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Terminator Reboot

Welp. Terminator's being rebooted. There'll be a new trillogy and a tv series (that's supposadly connected with the ORIGINAL Terminator film but will somehow split off into the new) to go along with it. Casting has already begun with Game of Thrones actress Emilia Clarke being cast as the new Sarah Connor.

The first movie is currently titled Terminator: Genesis.

http://collider.com/emilia-clarke-terminator/
Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Interesting news

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Im glad this series is continuing. Wasnt Arnold officially back?
Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's not a reboot. It's a prequel/sequel hybrid, with a Sarah Connor before we ever met her in T1 and a John Connor after T4. And yes, Arnold is in it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I've been following this closely. After TMNT and Star Trek, Terminator is my third favorite thing. But I'm not still sure if I should be excited.

Presumably, if the TV show splinters off of the original timeline, Star Trek style, the movie trilogy is in that new timeline, as well. My least favorite thing is writing out canon events.

Terminator Salvation was bad. But it was also the first time in the Terminator movie series where we didn't have closure. Terminator 3 had issues, but 1, 2 and 3 all could have been a stopping point. Salvation feels like a new thing, and now we're left hanging...

At the same time, Terminator should be about people running from killer robots. That's what Salvation got wrong. And, at least, these sounds like a return to form.

As for Emilia Clarke, I've never heard of her, so I have no opinion...
I do think she favors Linda Hamilton, a bit. If they did her hair the same way for the spinning-off point, she'd be a dead ringer.
Spoiler:

Last edited by chrisdude; 12-14-2013 at 04:43 AM.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Salvation feels like a new thing, and now we're left hanging...
Well, be glad you did with the original McG plan... for T5 he planned to have John Connor go back in time to our present to "prepare" our military for a time travel invasion from the future with an army of Terminators or something awful like that.

I wouldn't worry much about T4 being invalidated... it just probably won't be mentioned much, but T5 will be featuring a John Connor from after the events of Salvation. It's just, he has to time travel back to his mom's early adulthood for some reason, presumably creating a whole new timeline in effect (think Old Spock going back in time from the end of the TNG era in Abram's "Star Trek," which seems to be the template everyone is following for their "reboots" these days).
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I see alot of people say Salvation was bad. I enjoyed it. It wasn't original but fighting robots in a futuristic world isn't anyway. I thought it was nice to have Skynet be multiple computers or it could have ended right on the spot.

I don't know what they have planned but with the time travel element this series could literally go on forever, constantly creating new time lines. Personally I would prefer they dont over use it. If Doomsday is gonna happen no matter what Id rather see more movies in the future taking down Skynet.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well, be glad you did with the original McG plan... for T5 he planned to have John Connor go back in time to our present to "prepare" our military for a time travel invasion from the future with an army of Terminators or something awful like that.

I wouldn't worry much about T4 being invalidated... it just probably won't be mentioned much, but T5 will be featuring a John Connor from after the events of Salvation. It's just, he has to time travel back to his mom's early adulthood for some reason, presumably creating a whole new timeline in effect (think Old Spock going back in time from the end of the TNG era in Abram's "Star Trek," which seems to be the template everyone is following for their "reboots" these days).
I don't like the idea. And I don't think it's panned out for Star Trek. But I also feel like "people chased by killer robots from the future" is what makes Terminator what it is. So, I can understand if they want to drop the future war setting, and return to that form. Terminator 3 was probably mistaken to let Judgement Day take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I see alot of people say Salvation was bad. I enjoyed it. It wasn't original but fighting robots in a futuristic world isn't anyway. I thought it was nice to have Skynet be multiple computers or it could have ended right on the spot.

I don't know what they have planned but with the time travel element this series could literally go on forever, constantly creating new time lines. Personally I would prefer they dont over use it. If Doomsday is gonna happen no matter what Id rather see more movies in the future taking down Skynet.
My dream was to see the second set of movies end with Kyle Reese being sent back to save Sarah Connor from the original Terminator...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I don't know what they have planned but with the time travel element this series could literally go on forever, constantly creating new time lines.
I agree. It sets a stupid, repetitive precedent which ultimately gives us nothing new.

Quote:
If Doomsday is gonna happen no matter what Id rather see more movies in the future taking down Skynet.
I also agree. That's really the only direction they can/should go in that will keep things fresh. If they want to tidy up some things like, "How did SkyNET get Arnold's skin/template for the T-101 CSM for the T-800/850?" then they can answer that by having some TechCOM forces getting captured by SkyNET in the Future War (imagine, TechCOM guys that all look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Patrick, and Kristanna Loken launching a last ditch mission to take out SkyNET but getting captured, their likenesses stolen).

But no more time travel (unless they want to make a "final" Terminator movie which ends with Kyle getting in that time displacement chamber), no more Sarah Connor (enough with Mom, already! how can the training wheels ever come off if they keep coming back to her?), and no more new timelines. Enough with that, already. Decide on a timeline and see it through, for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
I don't like the idea. And I don't think it's panned out for Star Trek.
Oh, I agree there absolutely. It was fun for a one-off thing... but as the future direction of all Star Trek? No, no, no. Back to the 23rd century, with a Kirk and Spock who are inherently not Kirk and Spock? What's the point in that, and who is that even for? The old fans, showing us a time-altered different origin for Kirk and Spock which makes them not the same characters they care about? No? So it's for new fans, then? Well, why even use Kirk and Spock, then? It's stupid, stupid, stupid.

Star Trek is quintessentially about moving forward... not backwards.

Quote:
Terminator 3 was probably mistaken to let Judgement Day take place.
I don't agree, that was the biggest thing that T3 really got right. And it was a fairly ballsy move... all that pretense and bam, there it is, the bombs actually dropping and the machines becoming self-aware. T4 wasn't terrible but it kind of dropped the ball on giving us the full-on Future War we all wanted to see which T3 succeeded in setting up, if nothing else. I hope T4 isn't being looked at by the producers as a reason why we can't ever get a proper Future War movie.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

^ Oh I like that idea about their likeness being stolen. I would have loved to see the world being taken over by Skynet first like it started in T3. I really liked T3 equal to T2.

I wonder if theyve ever thought of explaining, or trying too anyway, the famous paradox. Some people really liked that but imo it was dumb to make Kyle John's dad.

Aside from it being impossible its almost comedic. Ive read some explanations on IMDb about parallel timelines but it still doesn't make sense and just digs it into a deeper hole.

Thats the only thing I try to overlook in the series. Theres bound to be contradiction in time travel stories but why did they purposely make a paradox?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
chrisdude
Foot Elite

They probably just thought it was clever. Surely there weren't thinking four movies down the road. It's a simple as it looks. One just has to accept that it is a paradox. I've also seen people try to explain it away, but it just is what it is.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Matt Smith has been cast in the new Terminator movie, And its supposedly a major role, Since its part of a new trilogy.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/matt...le-doctor-who/
Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

old news

already reported here didn't know about the tv series though
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Interesting cast list that I've seen

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
electric_sheep
Banned

So yeah, first pic.
What are they doing here, seriously?
Poor Emilia Clark, she tries so hard but she can't pass that one one that she's got and she's blander than a white wall and can't act to save her life. Also she's completly wrong for Sarah Connor and you can't see her as anyone else then Daneries...
And Jai Courtney, seriously?
Guy sucks, he just sucks isn't one Sam Worthington enough?
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Oh nice to see things are getting started.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Resurrecting the thread, because discussion of this movie has resurfaced in the Toy Story 4 thread.

My opinion has changed a bit, over the past year, and I've warmed up to the idea since I posted here, in December.

The plot details revealed by Entertainment Weekly have a made a huge buzz: (EDIT: Not the good kind.)
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/29/th...nator-genisys/

Last edited by chrisdude; 11-09-2014 at 07:50 AM.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #18
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

so...that all sounds rather interesting i guess

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #19
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

The EW photos look absolutely horrendous, the one of the Doctor Who guy firing his flame unit thing one handed is incredibly bad.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah those photos are cheeeeeezy. That does not bode well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote