The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #21
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's already been surpassed by TMNT 2014.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #22
Adventuremaster18
Mouser

I honestly feel it depends.

A big factor in my opinion is whether the film is either animated or live action. Viacom seems to play it a bit safe with live action films, as most studios do. However, animated TV movies or direct to video films are a different story.

Nick has made some incredible creator driven animated stuff, most notably Avatar the Last Airbender, which is some of the greatest storytelling I've seen in a series. TMNT 2012 and Rise did something similar, though not as good by comparison (sure, there were characters who would become toys which needed to be pushed in, but both, especially the former, had a focus on good storytelling as well). If they were able to produce either a direct to video feature film with a creator in charge who really cared, I think very much so that we could get a TMNT film that tops the original.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #23
Galactus
Foot Elite

Could the 1990 movie ever be topped? Sure. It's by far the best movie to ever be made of property but it's not exactly perfect. It could easily be improved on.

Is it likely to ever be topped. Nope. Not with the people we've got at the top making decisions.

I wouldn't go as far to say that being an indie movie was what made it great. After all the sequels were all indie flicks too and they were bad. As soon the first became an unexpected commercial success it ruined everyone's thinking about how the movies should be handled.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuremaster18 View Post
I honestly feel it depends.

A big factor in my opinion is whether the film is either animated or live action. Viacom seems to play it a bit safe with live action films, as most studios do. However, animated TV movies or direct to video films are a different story.

Nick has made some incredible creator driven animated stuff, most notably Avatar the Last Airbender, which is some of the greatest storytelling I've seen in a series. TMNT 2012 and Rise did something similar, though not as good by comparison (sure, there were characters who would become toys which needed to be pushed in, but both, especially the former, had a focus on good storytelling as well). If they were able to produce either a direct to video feature film with a creator in charge who really cared, I think very much so that we could get a TMNT film that tops the original.
I've always said I'd LOVE a movie that is a straight retelling on TMNT #1. Black and white and red (for bandanas, both Turtle and Foot, and BLOOD!). Simple. But then I wondered if Nick/Viacom could do like DC/Warner Bros. did with their animated movie series, take significant stories from the Eastman and Laird run of comics and make them into animated films...but than again that's essentially the first couple of 4kids seasons as it is.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #25
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Sure if you can get the right people to do it.

For now it still reigns supreme at the top of my TMNT movies list.

Spoiler:
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

I know that's your personal top, Shark Blade, but TMNT 1990 being number 1 is pretty much the only thing I can agree on in your list lol
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:13 PM   #27
Adventuremaster18
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I've always said I'd LOVE a movie that is a straight retelling on TMNT #1. Black and white and red (for bandanas, both Turtle and Foot, and BLOOD!). Simple. But then I wondered if Nick/Viacom could do like DC/Warner Bros. did with their animated movie series, take significant stories from the Eastman and Laird run of comics and make them into animated films...but than again that's essentially the first couple of 4kids seasons as it is.
I'm gonna be honest... I don't get why people want super accurate adaptations tbh. I'm very much in the minority on this, but I feel the best part of each version of TMNT is that it's so different.

My favorite writer, Douglas Adams, didn't understand the idea of telling the same story the exact same way in every version/adaptation. It's why the novels, books, audio dramas, and especially the film of his series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Dirk Gently" are all so different from each other. He liked the idea of experimenting and changing the story up with each version, because he didn't get the point of making each version the same.

And I agree with that. Even when they take inspiration from each version, Mirage, Archie, Fred Wolf, 2012, the 90's movie, Rise, IDW, etc. are all super unique and do their own takes on the TMNT. It helps keep things fresh and more interesting than just telling the same story again with no variation. The original story is there, no need to retell it the exact same way IMO.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:18 AM   #28
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I know that's your personal top, Shark Blade, but TMNT 1990 being number 1 is pretty much the only thing I can agree on in your list lol
No sweat, different people different taste. For example, I know some people like Secret of the Ooze but it just doesn’t do it for me. *shrug*

But hey, we’re getting new Turtles (Rise on Netflix and the Platinum Dunes reboot) so that’s more movies to look forward to.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:06 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
But hey, we’re getting new Turtles (Rise on Netflix and the Platinum Dunes reboot) so that’s more movies to look forward to.
Looking forward to them? Is that what we're doing?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not! I don't know what These People are doing. I don't claim them.

I'm not "looking forward" to anything with this f*cking franchise anymore, after the last ten years. "Awaiting with a clenched colon to see just how bad they're gonna f*ck it up THIS time" is the only appropriate response. Certainly not "looking forward to."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #31
Musashi
Foot Soldier

We're looking forward to them, in the sense that they're in the future, so we can't yet look back at them.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #32
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's already been surpassed by TMNT 2014.
Now, I don't really do memes and GIFs and all that, I'm old. But I have a hankering now for one that goes "Heh... Oh, you're serious...!!!" Is there such a one?
Old 03-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #33
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Now, I don't really do memes and GIFs and all that, I'm old. But I have a hankering now for one that goes "Heh... Oh, you're serious...!!!" Is there such a one?
Like this:

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #34
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I think that the 1990 TMNT movie should be left alone. Despite its flaws and imperfections with the animatronic suits, the actors and directors gave it their all and made TMNT '90 their own movie.

It's time to give the TMNT cast and crew another adventure to go on.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:08 AM   #35
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Like this...
That.

This is a sentence to take this over 10 characters so it can be posted.