The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Ranking Characters that appeared in all 3 cartoons

When looking at characters that appeared in all 3 tmnt cartoons, how would you rank them from best to worst?

This is my personal List:

Leonardo: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Donatello: OT > Nick > 2k3
Raphael: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Michelangelo: OT > Nick > 2k3
Splinter: Nick > 2k3 > OT
April O'Neil: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Casey Jones: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Shredder: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Baxter Stockman: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Rat King: OT > Nick > 2k3
Leatherhead: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Usagi: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Triceratons: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Foot Soldiers: 2k3 > OT > Nick
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
When looking at characters that appeared in all 3 tmnt cartoons, how would you rank them from best to worst?

This is my personal List:

Leonardo: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Donatello: OT > Nick > 2k3
Raphael: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Splinter: Nick > 2k3 > OT
April O'Neil: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Baxter Stockman: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Leatherhead: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Usagi: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Triceratons: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Foot Soldiers: 2k3 > OT > Nick
14 entries on that list, 2 of which don't even refer to actual characters. I know why this list is so short, it's just that it seems almost pointless.

Anyway, apply the order of 4Kids, Nick and FW to all entries for me. I don't care for pizza jokes, reporters, flies, lobster guns, breakage obsessions, clowns in samurai helmets, disposable ninja androids, men who transform into rats and idiots who honestly thinks rats are superior to humans for flimsy reasons. And to a lesser extent pointless psychic powers and alligators with trigger words.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm going opposite to Neatoman.
I'll take the Nick versions of everything over the 2k3 and then that over FW.

Exceptions:
Baxter Stockman, who was best in 2k3
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm going opposite to Neatoman.
I'll take the Nick versions of everything over the 2k3 and then that over FW.

Exceptions:
Baxter Stockman, who was best in 2k3
I agree with Plastron. Though I like 2k3 Casey a bit more than Nick Casey so other than that I agree with her
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I agree with Plastron. Though I like 2k3 Casey a bit more than Nick Casey so other than that I agree with her
I'm going back and forth on Casey.
I really love what both shows do with him, and enjoy the work of both voice actors.

If I'm being honest I prefer 2k3's Personality more than Nick, but...I really do love the Nick character design.

In a lot of cases that's the thing that pushed Nick into the lead, the fact that I really love how the characters are designed.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm not done with the Nick show but I'm getting close, only need a little more than one season left so I think I can make a fair assessment, if anything changes I'll reply again.

Baxter Stockman: 2k3>OT>Nick

The Nick version got better over time but it's by far the weakest, the OT's main problem with Baxter is he isn't black but man was he a tragic character in almost all his appearances, but 2k3 Baxter was awesome all around.

Rat King: Nick > OT > 2k3

OT's Rat King is cool enough but even with such few appearances the Nick show was awesome, I do think 2k3 could've beaten both but with only one appearance it wasn't allowed its full potential.

Leatherhead: Nick>OT>2k3
I like all versions as well but 2k3 didn't do enough and Nick did a better job, the OT isn't that great but he was still a cool villain so he gets a pass

Foot Soldiers: 2k3>OT>Nick
2k3 and their mysteries surrounding the foot and its soldiers are ubeatable, Nick could've done better but after turning all the foot into robots they lost their way, Shredder's army was his mutants not his soldiers, at least the had plenty of their robot foot soldiers.

Triceratons: Nick>2k3>OT
The OT triceratons could've easily been #1 but with such a quick appearance then it has to be last, the Nick showed them as relentless monsters, the 2k3 show did a great job as well but I just preferred Nick's versions.

April o Neil: OT>2k3>Nick

Likely not a popular choice but while I liked 2k3 April you could tell they didn't know how to get her into the story and sometimes felt forced, I still like her but while she was mostly a damsel in distress in the OT the reporter thing at least gave made her feel like she fit in with the plots. Nick April never earned her spot there, I liked how they slowly trained her but she was annoying with her psychic powers and excuses to make her plot relevant with the Kraang.

Casey Jones: OT>2k3J>Nick

This one is tough, OT's version is really cool but not really a great Casey Jones, 2k3 I would want to love but he's written too much as a meathead for me to like him, Nick Casey was one of my least liked incarnations but he got better through out the show

Usagi: 2k3>OT

I like both versions but 2k3 was definitely cooler, haven't gotten to Usagi in the NIck show. I'll edit this as soon as I get to his episodes.

Splinter: OT>2k3>Nick

Wasn't a huge fan of Nick's Splinter, OT and 2k3 had great Splinters, 2k3 was written a bit better but I did like more the origin of OT Splinter as it made his relationship more personal.

Raphael: OT>Nick>2k3

I want to love 2k3 raph but he was too angsty in that one, OT is a better balance and Nick needed a bit more personality though they did a good job with him.

Leonardo: 2k3>Nick>OT
2k3 had the better leonardo arcs but Nick Leo was still pretty good, OT was likely the most boring and useless.

Mikey: Nick>OT>2k3
2k3 Mikey was overtly annoying and I liked him plenty but they focused too much on him so he's last because of it, Nick had a better balance and OT Mikey was good but you can't take too much of him without getting annoyed either.

Donatello: OT>2k3>Nick

Without Donnie the OT turtles would've lost to Shredder so man times, he was the leader of the group essentially, 2k3 was also good but he had more competition there while Nick was just ok, a bit annoying and got too much screen time.

Last edited by sdp; 11-04-2017 at 07:31 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm going back and forth on Casey.
I really love what both shows do with him, and enjoy the work of both voice actors.

If I'm being honest I prefer 2k3's Personality more than Nick, but...I really do love the Nick character design.

In a lot of cases that's the thing that pushed Nick into the lead, the fact that I really love how the characters are designed.
I agree with this
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

2k3 Raph and Mike after Seasons 2 were generally the weakest incarnations. Shame because they started off so well. After that Raph was always mad, Mikey was always loud or obnoxious, even when nothing was happening in an episode. It's even more odd now when rewatching the show years later. I don't want to watch a Raphael who is always angry 24/7.

Nick's Splinter is easily the best, one of the greatest incarnations of Splinter in general.

For April, again this is difficult. 2k3 April had a decent personality but she just kinda faded to the sidelines as the series progressed. OT April was always there but a damsel in distress, I liked Nick's April's personality wise.

As for Leatherhead, 2k3/Nick Leatherhead are practically the same exact character.

The Shredder's all worked well for their respective series so I can't rank them. They all did a good job for the tone of the series they had.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

My list based on info I have:

Leonardo: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Donatello: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Raphael: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Splinter: OT > 2k3 > Nick
April O'Neil: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Baxter Stockman: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Leatherhead: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Usagi: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Triceratons: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Foot Soldiers: OT > Nick > 2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
and alligators with trigger words.
I guarantee!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Leonardo:2k3 , OT, Nick (But Cam Clarke is best Leo voice)
Donatello: OT, 2k3 , Nick
Raphael: 2k3, OT, Nick
Michelangelo: 2k3, OT, Nick
Splinter: OT, Nick, 2k3
April O'Neil: 2k3, OT, Nick (love the OT design better though)
Casey Jones: 2k3, OT, Nick
Shredder: Nick, OT, 2k3
Baxter Stockman: 2K3, Nick, OT
Rat King: OT, Nick , 2k3
Leatherhead: OT (BY A MILE), Nick,2k3
Usagi: 2k3, Nick, OT
Triceratons: 2k3 , Nick, OT
Foot Soldiers: 2k3, Nikc, OT

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
ABrown
Banned

You know, I can't deny, I really did love the Nick series Karai.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

My order goes 2k3, then OT, then Nick. That goes for all the characters.

Also, I’d like to point out that the Mousers also appeared in all 3 cartoons. Just throwing that out there.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
You know, I can't deny, I really did love the Nick series Karai.
I would like to see her used in a spin off (I know there won't be one)

I am currently watching the original toon, I've seen random eps of the 2k3 so it is too early for me to choose when taking a whole character into account. As far as designs go though I would go mostly with Nick, not every single character, but a lot of them.
Quote:
I mean I don't mind Nick Hun, but...he isn't Hun. He's Bruce Lee.
Might be kind of an insult to Bruce Lee

Last edited by newfan; 11-06-2017 at 05:54 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Finally watched the Usagi arch and I can say
Usagi: 2k3>Nick>OT
The OT and Nick version are a bit close.

Mousers I can't rate them since they're rather unimporant in all of the shows and after their first appearance don't really see them again. Weird since they're such iconic characters when it comes to the TMNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I would like to see her used in a spin off (I know there won't be one)

I am currently watching the original toon, I've seen random eps of the 2k3 so it is too early for me to choose when taking a whole character into account. As far as designs go though I would go mostly with Nick, not every single character, but a lot of them.

Might be kind of an insult to Bruce Lee
Nah, we all love Bruce Lee, the point is his name drags the character down.

The OT is a different type of show but quite entertaining, If you can get past S3/4 which are superlong you can finish the show. Most people who discuss the OT Usually only refer to the S3/4 era since it's when most stopped watching.

2k3 you really need to watch all the way through and not random episodes as it really builds a lot upon what happened before, I'd say it's easily the best TMNT cartoon.

I found Karai annoying in the Nick show, the 2k3 version is much better tho also flawed. OT Doesn't have Karai but a similar character named Lotus Blossom, she appears in two episodes and is pretty cool.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Finally watched the Usagi arch and I can say
Usagi: 2k3>Nick>OT
The OT and Nick version are a bit close.

Mousers I can't rate them since they're rather unimporant in all of the shows and after their first appearance don't really see them again. Weird since they're such iconic characters when it comes to the TMNT.

Nah, we all love Bruce Lee, the point is his name drags the character down.

The OT is a different type of show but quite entertaining, If you can get past S3/4 which are superlong you can finish the show. Most people who discuss the OT Usually only refer to the S3/4 era since it's when most stopped watching.

2k3 you really need to watch all the way through and not random episodes as it really builds a lot upon what happened before, I'd say it's easily the best TMNT cartoon.

I found Karai annoying in the Nick show, the 2k3 version is much better tho also flawed. OT Doesn't have Karai but a similar character named Lotus Blossom, she appears in two episodes and is pretty cool.
I love Nicks Karai (no surprise from my avatar) I wasn't liking 2k3 as much as her.
I have the first few eps of 2K3, I'd planned to watch the first 2 seasons of both and see if I then wanted to carry on.

I imagine some on here watched all 10 original seasons, Cubed for sure, FredWolf? and Original TMNT Fan?

(Sorry, I've come off track)

Oh, I meant if they were going to use Bruce Lee, should they have used a character that had his a** kicked by Casey?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well you don't need to track down every episode of 2k3/OT, you can easily find them online.

I think many of us have seen all 10 seasons of the original show, most of them are shortish seasons of around 10ish episodes with the exception of Season 3/4 which are nearly 50 episodes each. Those seasons were the height of turtlemania so it makes sense, those seasons have very iconic episodes but can also get tiring since there's so many, every other season usually has its own feel and aren't too long so you can plow through them quicker.