The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #41
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I watched it all and I liked it, here is my review but in short it has a lot of potential.

Yes it has a few MOTW episodes but you can tell they're plotting a story arc and based on the final episode I think the show will be taking a lot more risks going forward since right now it's a pretty safe show.

I also think the season was split, Netflix has been doing this with their animated shows especially to make the wait not be as long and likely keep the kids hooked instead of waiting 9-12 months for the second season. If not we would've gotten a real season finale so expect more episodes in 5-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
What....how in 2018, you can make those characters look WORSE, than in 1994!?
It's a special kind of awful.
The CG for the most part is pretty good for a tv budget, except for a few set pieces that weren't used much. I have no big complains.

The reason the original characters look "worse" is because they were intentionally trying to match the early CG of season 1 of reboot. It's sort of like when the previous Tomb Raider reboot tried to do a "classic" Lara skin and failed at it just making a polygonal face that didn't look like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Seen more of the episodes now...I've gone from enjoying it, to just about tolerating it. VERA is a terrible character, and does not improve. Many of the plots suffer from the status quo being maintained throughout with only shreds of progression, there are sod all consequences...and anyone hoping the return of the classic characters will redeem the show for at least one episode will be dissapointed as it's very much a "Turtles Forever" scenario.

As a Reboot revival, it misses the point, but as a Power Rangers-style series, it's better than Ninja Steel
VERA is ok, no worse than the other characters really in terms of being a bit bland.

I don't think it was a "Turtles Forever" scenario, Bob was competent and I rather enjoyed it. Sure the Matrix siblings didn't get to do much but they were representing their Season 1 roles.

I'm glad you mentioned Power Rangers since it's the constant thing I kept thinking about while watching the show. It does feel like a PR show/set up at times, hell even their VR suits are color coded, it's just that the action doesn't match it, mostly since they seem to deal with the "grunts" and don't have like a monster of the week to really face off against.

I'd love to see Power Rangers/Sentai have this as a gimmick one year a la Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, and it boggles my mind they have never done it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:10 AM   #42
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm glad you mentioned Power Rangers since it's the constant thing I kept thinking about while watching the show.
Apparently there's a sound foundation for the comparisons...as Anne Austin is one of the story editors, she worked on Ninja Storm and Dinothunder.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The reason the original characters look "worse" is because they were intentionally trying to match the early CG of season 1 of reboot. It's sort of like when the previous Tomb Raider reboot tried to do a "classic" Lara skin and failed at it just making a polygonal face that didn't look like it.
Sorry I don't buy it.
More likely artists who were in charge of modelling classic characters just sucked.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #45
Powder
So tired of this place

What a waste of a fun property.

That dude's Tony Jay impression is so good, though!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #46
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Second season came and and I finished watching, I might be the only one. No reboot cast from the original show this season except for Megabyte/Hexadecimal for those wondering. Anywho I sort of like the show, but I now understand the problems with it.

The concept of the show is good but there's just a few things that are wrong with it and these things are amplified since it's nothing like the original reboot so comparisons to it only hurt it more when it's a totally different show. It's a different genre than the original show so it can't really be compared, yet the use of not only the name but also some of the characters, in this case mainly the villain Megabyte bring it back to the original show. The fact that the scenes with Megabyte are usually pretty damn good make it even more apparent since he clashes with the style of the show that it's going for.

The show is better thought of as a Power Rangers like show with the action scenes being in CG. The action is not amazing but I did see improvement from the first few episodes in the first season to the last ones this second season even though they were all likely made during the same time and could improve a lot. The live action actors don't quite have the personality or chemistry as say the Mighty Morphin' teenagers with attitude which is a shame but they sometimes show potential. The actual plots go all over the place with some just being boring fillers and others being cheesy yet fun, sadly no real big stand out episodes.

The CG cyber world is awesome and very Tron inspired and I love it, again the only downside is that it clashes with the computer world in the Mainframe Reboot cartoon. The ending of the season with a cliffhanger is ok but the big reveal was a mess and handled even worse. The show has potential and I'd love to see more and improve on the things it's lacking in but I can understand most of the complains since I do think the Reboot name does more harm than not. The soundtrack is pretty damn good and better than it had any right to
Old 10-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #47
Hero
British Bloke

Huh? They made a Second Season?
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #48
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Huh? They made a Second Season?
No they didn't, he actually means the second half of the first season.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #49
Hero
British Bloke

Watching it now.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #50
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well it's officially called season 2 but it's from the same batch of episodes originally ordered. Netflix usually splits their orders for kids shows into two "seasons" to make the wait between them shorter.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:13 AM   #51
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New retrospective documentary coming soon
Old 10-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #52
Sumac
Banned

Pretty cool.
Wish they've finally made a proper continuation (no, Guardian Code is a crap), though, while people who created OG series are still around.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #53
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
oh wow ok, yes please

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:12 PM   #54
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Thanks for the video clip Zarius. Perhaps, the Reboot crew wanted the Guardian Code memories to die down, and rekindle an old hope that the original series could someday return.

Honestly, I'm down with that.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote