The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What do you think of Incels?

So, rather recently, I've been hearing about this subculture of people, which the overwhelmingly majority are men, that call themselves "Incels", which is short for "involuntary celibate". Basically, guys who think they cannot get gfs for being undesirable to women, and that the women are to blame for being too shallow in their standards. This is my understanding of what an Incel is, at least.

Is this really that recent of a phenomenon, or has the internet just invented a label for it this decade? I mean, there's always been people who blame the opposite gender for not being able to get a partner. Guys in particular, many throughout history have gotten the wrong idea about women and relationships.

I wonder if this phenomenon just got more mainstream attention on it lately. If it has become more common lately as well, i wonder what lead to this. I mean, you can say that it's just guys being salty for not being able to get sex, but I wonder what happened in our society for this thing to become more common? Is it the social media and the dating world becoming more and more competitive? And also people becoming less social as the technology advances and thus began losing their social skills and ability to understand each other and have empathy for each other?

What do you think? I can't say I really know any self-proclaimed incels, but they seem to have rather radical ideas about women, thinking they're all feminists and sluts. That's obviously a quite extreme view of an entire gender of women. We all stereotype the opposite sex at times and can be unfair to it, but there's a limit for everything, I'd say.

Here's a couple of articles about them:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...-of-the-incels

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45284455

Thoughts? Also I wonder if there's a female equivalent to this...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

That they're a pretty sad and pathetic lot.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Been around a while. Mostly it's people who need psychiatric help and such topics are probably playing with fire.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm not sure what I think about "Incels." I know they're a real thing and there are actual dudes out there proclaiming themselves to be on Youtube and all of their favorite social media... but I feel it most loudly being broadcast, labeled, demonized by angry women and the numbers of "incels" out there are subsequently -- I suspect -- wildly exaggerated mostly for the purposes of another group of dudes to raise the pitchforks over in the current climate and/or another word (and liberals love language, and creating/policing words) to throw at unsavory dudes.

But then again it's been a long time since I've been in high school. Cliques of "incels" could be a thing running rampant now, for all I really know. SAD! I doubt it, though.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-10-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

"Cliques".

Long day, brah?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Cliques".
You know, I've never actually seen (or at least it's never sunk in) the word in written form. Only spoken. I've always assumed it was "clicks" but you're clearly right.

Kind of like how for years I was writing, "The whole kitten kaboodle!" everywhere when years later I was informed on a message board, "Hey look, idiot, it's 'kit and kaboodle'!"
Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think the fact that "Kitten Kabootle" was actually a cat food brand at one point helps that particular issue become any clearer for those who were already confused.

Still, nobody's ever taken time out of their day to even once explain to me what a "Kaboodle" is, and now I feel like they should.

Wait, is it "Kabootle" or "Kaboodle"? Whaaaaat the F*CK, now I'M confused!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

From my understanding either "kaboodle" or "caboodle" (from the name it comes from) are both acceptable, but "kaboodle" is the more widely accepted usage.

"Kabootle," however, is NOT.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Sonuvabitch, I must be livin' wrong.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Incels are gross and pathetic
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #11
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Even the Elephant Man?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hell, what would the Elephant Man even have to say to these kids? He'd have been a good one to speak to them were he alive today. Guaranteed there are a portion of them that are in so deep that they'd insist (and do the required mental gymnastics) that they have it worse off than he did.

Mostly I think a lot of these guys are just very emotionally immature, self centered, lack any belief in personal responsibility in life, and are afraid of girls. Then add in one of the major down sides of the internet existing as having room for very toxic corners for people to indulge their fears and hatreds in and just continue to poison themselves with that mentality all the more.

It's very sad that they subject themselves to that and that mindset, but it isn't girls/women's job or obligation to rescue them from themselves and are not the ones who caused it. If someone is going to be a nasty little you know what to push people away, then they've gotten what they wanted. But they aught to take responsibility for their own situations.

Every life has its challenges, some have it easier than others, sure, but you can't make it change by just sitting and whining about it and hating on others. No one has any choice but to play the hand they were dealt the best they can.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Are these guys born without hands or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Are these guys born without hands or something?
What do you mean? You're saying they could just fap and feel better about not getting sex?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What do you mean? You're saying they could just fap and feel better about not getting sex?
In so many words, yes.

I watched a documentary about this phenomenon a few years ago.

The three young men they profiled seemed to be substituting the pursuit of sex for having a purpose in life, all to varying degrees.

I'd honestly suggest fapping oneself silly with the most depraved things one can find on the Internet until it gets boring and the sexual tension is gone. Then maybe do some deep introspection/mediation, find a hobby or job you like, and go out into the world and do that sh*t.

There's more to dealing with women than sex, and every guy has dry spells. Being celibate doesn't change who you are or what your actual potential is as a human being in this world.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

From my understanding it's mostly people were born too ugly and whatever other faults to have someone look their way. Someone in their 30s or so that has never so much as kissed a girl because you couldn't pay anyone enough to kiss them even as a joke.

They grow up bitter in a world where it seems everyone is getting laid except them. Yes there is more to life to women and guys might have dry spells, but most of us has had some sort of action, wether in a serious relationship or otherwise. It's easy to say girls don't matter if you've had a couple throughout your life so I understand why they hate the world.

What I don't agree with is how the bitterness made them sick minded with thoughts of suicide, rape or murder. The ones that are rude to a woman or whatever and internalize it as a way to 'get back' at that one girl that friendzoned you in high school or whatever. Those people are extremely dark and sick minded.

Their biggest complaint is noone understands them because almosy noone has been in their place. If you so much as have had female friends that don't mind the occasional hug or whatever, you already don't understand them. I honestly can't imagine a life where noone would be willing to so much as give me a high five.

I'm sure there are normal incels that just depressed and go on with life while forcibly accepting they'll die alone and a virgin, but the ones you see online the most are the most fanatical ones are the ones that dream of rape and school shootings.

Their views on women seem to mirror the MGTOW view towards them, and a lot makes sense in human nature for better or for worse. The main dif is MGTOWs just want to be free to live for themselves while Incels wish either self harm or to harm others.

I need to stay out of the darker corners of the internet. But for some reason incels and MGTOW have been all over Youtube lately.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 10-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Their biggest complaint is noone understands them because almosy noone has been in their place.
And what's ridiculous about that is that there are plenty of girls in the world who have no better luck and would understand them quite a lot, and yet... they rebuff that notion because they'd rather cling to a false narrative about the lives that the vast majority of women supposedly lead. Average, unattractive, and "incel" women don't even seem to exist in their perception of reality, only hot fantasy women who supposedly have it made and won't sleep with them because they supposedly only want "Chad." Mostly I guess it's about feeding the victim complex. Reach for the unobtainable dream then blame everyone but yourself when it can't be had.

But from a woman's perspective that's got to be one of the biggest insults and turn-offs about that sort, being told that the reality of most women's lives is untrue because they (incels) prefer some false narrative to feed their need to feel like a victim. What better way to turn women off than to tell them the reality of their own life isn't real! And when they don't like you for it...well it's the girls' fault, isn't it now.

Now, the murder and rape fantasizers... yeah, I just hope the FBI keeps an eye on those lunatics. As well as the instigators among them who push the crazies to act. There has to be mental illness there, no normal person dreams of punishing/harming others who did not cause their situation.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:

I need to stay out of the darker corners of the internet. But for some reason incels and MGTOW have been all over Youtube lately.
It depends on your viewing/browsing habits, what with YT's analytics and algorithms.

As someone who has had some personal experience with the MGTOW/"red pill" world, both online and IRL...surrounding yourself with that kind of content creates an echo chamber and mentally and emotionally traps you. Ideas about "game" and all of that become excuses for self defeating attitudes.

TBH, when I was in college, I fit the qualifications for being an incel. It's something that people hopefully grow out of with enough life experience.

There is something to be said for men having difficulty adjusting to gender roles in the 21st century, things like no fault divorce, societal expectations to not show emotion, etc. but some of the things people talk about in seedy forums and sh*tposts in places like 4chan do more harm than good when it comes to men's mental health.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
It depends on your viewing/browsing habits, what with YT's analytics and algorithms.

As someone who has had some personal experience with the MGTOW/"red pill" world, both online and IRL...surrounding yourself with that kind of content creates an echo chamber and mentally and emotionally traps you. Ideas about "game" and all of that become excuses for self defeating attitudes.
That's the thing though, MGTOW isn't about self defeat but realizing you don't need a woman in your life to feel fullfulled and/or successful.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
From my understanding it's mostly people were born too ugly and whatever other faults to have someone look their way. Someone in their 30s or so that has never so much as kissed a girl because you couldn't pay anyone enough to kiss them even as a joke.

They grow up bitter in a world where it seems everyone is getting laid except them. Yes there is more to life to women and guys might have dry spells, but most of us has had some sort of action, wether in a serious relationship or otherwise. It's easy to say girls don't matter if you've had a couple throughout your life so I understand why they hate the world.

What I don't agree with is how the bitterness made them sick minded with thoughts of suicide, rape or murder. The ones that are rude to a woman or whatever and internalize it as a way to 'get back' at that one girl that friendzoned you in high school or whatever. Those people are extremely dark and sick minded.

Their biggest complaint is noone understands them because almosy noone has been in their place. If you so much as have had female friends that don't mind the occasional hug or whatever, you already don't understand them. I honestly can't imagine a life where noone would be willing to so much as give me a high five.

I'm sure there are normal incels that just depressed and go on with life while forcibly accepting they'll die alone and a virgin, but the ones you see online the most are the most fanatical ones are the ones that dream of rape and school shootings.

Their views on women seem to mirror the MGTOW view towards them, and a lot makes sense in human nature for better or for worse. The main dif is MGTOWs just want to be free to live for themselves while Incels wish either self harm or to harm others.

A lot of those older male virgins and incels aren't really ugly, though. They seem to be normal looking dudes for the most part. They just lack self-confidence, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And what's ridiculous about that is that there are plenty of girls in the world who have no better luck and would understand them quite a lot, and yet... they rebuff that notion because they'd rather cling to a false narrative about the lives that the vast majority of women supposedly lead. Average, unattractive, and "incel" women don't even seem to exist in their perception of reality, only hot fantasy women who supposedly have it made and won't sleep with them because they supposedly only want "Chad." Mostly I guess it's about feeding the victim complex. Reach for the unobtainable dream then blame everyone but yourself when it can't be had.

But from a woman's perspective that's got to be one of the biggest insults and turn-offs about that sort, being told that the reality of most women's lives is untrue because they (incels) prefer some false narrative to feed their need to feel like a victim. What better way to turn women off than to tell them the reality of their own life isn't real! And when they don't like you for it...well it's the girls' fault, isn't it now.

Now, the murder and rape fantasizers... yeah, I just hope the FBI keeps an eye on those lunatics. As well as the instigators among them who push the crazies to act. There has to be mental illness there, no normal person dreams of punishing/harming others who did not cause their situation.
Well I guess that inferiority complex hits all types of guys(and girls) to some degree. Skinny guys think girls only go for muscular guys. Bodybuilders complain that women find them gross and would rather go for leaner guys. Short guys complain tall guys get all the girls while super tall guys complain they're too freaky looking and scary for girls. Fat girls complain only thin girls get guys, and thin girls complain guys only want thick women.

Quote:

TBH, when I was in college, I fit the qualifications for being an incel. It's something that people hopefully grow out of with enough life experience.

There is something to be said for men having difficulty adjusting to gender roles in the 21st century, things like no fault divorce, societal expectations to not show emotion, etc. but some of the things people talk about in seedy forums and sh*tposts in places like 4chan do more harm than good when it comes to men's mental health.
Youtube's algorithm sucks, though. You watch one single video about a certain subject and they assume you're a big fan of it and want to watch every video related to said subject.

Quote:
That's the thing though, MGTOW isn't about self defeat but realizing you don't need a woman in your life to feel fullfulled and/or successful.
I honestly used to think MGTOW as an acronym for a video game. Dead serious.

Tags
low self esteem, white buffalos