The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Favorite TMNT Food Product?

This one goes out primarily to older fans that were around during Turtlemania, but can also be for anyone who has eaten any TMNT food product, recent or otherwise. What is your favorite and do you have any memories associated with TMNT foods? Which foods did you hate/despise?

My favorite was the Chef Boyardee pasta... I carried cans of that $hit with me in grade school and once got the crap kicked out of me for pulling a can of it out of my ninja turtle backpack. It was the backpack that got me bullied, not the canned pasta. The can was stolen and thrown behind the bleachers in the school gym, if I remember correctly. *Damn, Raph. Coulda used your help there, buddy.*

Anyway, I also devoured the cereals most often as a kid. Loved it. I hated those nasty green moon pie things they made with cream filling. Gross!

What about you guys?

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-30-2020 at 02:20 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Pudding Pies

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Food that gets a famous kids' brand (that what TMNT is in this case) slapped onto it, is typically the worst food imaginable, the branding is literally the only selling point. I never have and will never ever buy food or snacks with the TMNT on the package unless I'm desperate, or they sell it for such a cheap price that nearly my entire food budget can be used for something else that month.

I am more likely to order one of the bizarre pizza variants mentioned in FW, at least the pizzeria sell themselves on the quality of their food. Rather a quality pizza ruined by bad toppings than some crap that is crap all the way through.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
mikey0
Foot Elite

McCain Ellio?s Microwavable Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza from 1990. The ultimate TMNT food product from the Turtlemania days that rarely gets a mention nowadays.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Probably the pasta, which was exactly the same as every other Chef Boyardee product so even if it wasn't high-end cuisine it was at least "fine".

I got the cereal a few times out of brand loyalty but lord it was terrible. I gave up on that sh*t pretty quickly. I get why they probably wanted to be "different" since every other licensed kids' cereal from Batman to Mr. T to WWF cereal mostly just ripped off Captain Crunch, but they probably should've just done that instead of... whatever that sticky mess was. Blech.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
ABrown
Banned

Definitely the ice cream bars. I think the first time I ever had one was in like the summer of 1990. And then I remember I think it was the year 2005, an ice cream truck came down the street. And I was shocked that they were still being made. Do they still make these today?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmnt-ice-cream.jpg (20.8 KB, 6 views)
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
ToSte
Hench Mutant

I loved those nasty ass slime fried pies when I was a tyke. I dunno if I could stomach the thought these days.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

I had 'em a couple'a times but I was never a big pudding pie guy. Not really big on sweets in general, and those things were like diabetes in a wrapper. Not too bad but I could only handle them very rarely, even back then.

I had the ice cream bars a couple of times but likewise, not a huge obsession for me.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think I had the cereal once as a kid. Or maybe I wanted the cereal and my parents never got it for me and I imagined what it tasted like. Not sure.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't remember eating anything tmnt related ever, perhaps as a kid but maybe it was too late for TMNT to still have food products when I was old enough to ask for tmnt food Though I guess I did eat the cereal twice since I had two TMNT bowls.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think I had the cereal once as a kid. Or maybe I wanted the cereal and my parents never got it for me and I imagined what it tasted like. Not sure.
Well you can probably buy [INSERT NAME OF CURRENT CHILDREN'S CARTOON] cereal and it'll probably be the same ****.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #12
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

If I remember correctly there were 2 cereals...

1 was a dyed green Captain Crunch clone with Leo, Mikey, Donnie, Raph and Shredder marshmallows.

The 2nd (The good one) was more like sweetened Rice Chex with Leo, Mikey, Donnie and Raph marshmallows.

They did the same with the pasta... Chef Boyardee had 2 variants... meatballs and pasta shapes without Shredder noodles and meatballs and pasta shapes with Shredder noodles.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't exactly keep up but I doubt I've ever in my life before or since ever had anything like the TMNT cereal. Thank God.

I guess it was basically just Chex with way too much honey on it, but I think that cereal's unique "formula" has wisely never been replicated since. At least I've never seen it attempted.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't exactly keep up but I doubt I've ever in my life before or since ever had anything like the TMNT cereal. Thank God.

I guess it was basically just Chex with way too much honey on it, but I think that cereal's unique "formula" has wisely never been replicated since. At least I've never seen it attempted.
Yeah, It's so weird, funny and a little tragic that anybody would market such culinary poison to kids just because of the old mantra "kids will eat anything with a cartoon on it." I mean the Chef Boyardee, as you already said, was passable as a food product, but everything else? I mean there should be child endangerment laws or something... Gross!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Man, back then you didn't really "make it" unless you had a Chef Boyardee line. Some of the lesser franchises like Sonic got stuck with Spaghetti-Os but anyone with actual clout had a Chef Boyardee. It wasn't even a contest.

I do remember seeing the TMNT bars advertised on ice cream trucks until the late-90s, at least, and maybe later, but I never thought to ask if they still carried them. I kinda doubt it; probably cheaper to not change the sticker on the truck and just say you're "all out" in the unlikely event anyone in the year 2000 asked for a Turtle Pop. I guess it's possible that by then they still carried them, but... odds are they were unsold stock from 4-5 years earlier, if they even did. The thought of it was partly why I never bothered to ask.

Let's see, we did the cereal, the ice cream, the pudding pies, the Chef Boyardee... what else was there? I'm drawing a blank but I feel like there had to be more.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Let's see, we did the cereal, the ice cream, the pudding pies, the Chef Boyardee... what else was there? I'm drawing a blank but I feel like there had to be more.
- 1990 Ellio?s Microwavable Pizza
- 1991 Crunchabungas
- 1990 Cheddar Cheese Snack Crackers
- 1991 Candy Suckers
- 1990/1991 TMNT Soft Gummi Candy
- 1990/1991 TMNT Tarts Fruit Candy
- 1990 Pizza Candy
- 1991 Jelly Beans
- 1991 Farley?s TMNT Eggs
- 1991 TMNT Shaped Candy Turtles
- 1990 Mutagen candy bar
- 1990 Farley?s Fruit Snacks
- 1991 TMNT and Cheese Pasta Dinner
- 1990 Lollipops sold at Nordstrom?s
- Late 1990/Early 1991 Mini candy with the toy candy toppers
- 1990 Topps Primo Bubble Gum with the candy dispensers
- 1991 Topps Candy with Candy Filled Dispensers
- 1991 TMNT Secret of the Ooze Squeeze and Lick Lollipop
- Late 1990/Early 1991 Popcorn that came in the tin
- 1991 Royal Ooze Gelatin Desserts

LONG LIVE THE EARLY 1990S!

Last edited by mikey0; 07-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #17
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Pudding Pies
Pudding pies easy
Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, it definitely goes a long way to explain why so many TMNT fans are so goddamn fat now, growing up with all'a that sh*t.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

I tried everything food related that had TMNT anything on it back during Turtlemania. It was such a fun time. But my top ones would have to be: TMNT Gummie Candy, Ice Cream Bars, Crunchabungas, & the Popcorn Tin.

Since we're on this topic, I have a few questions for my fellow TMNT fans. I had the popcorn tin that had the turtles on a surfboard riding a wave that said Cowabunga on it. In my memory, the tin had butter popcorn, white cheddar popcorn, and cheddar popcorn in it divided in three ways. Does anyone else remember it that way? Because every Christmas I remember my TMNT popcorn tin from back in the day and I remember it as having those three flavors in it. Does anyone remember if that was the three flavors it had in it?

My other question is about my favorite gummie candy ever. The TMNT gummies I'm talking about were ones that came in a plastic "blister bubble" (if you're a toy fan) where you could see the gummie and it had a thin cellophane backing to it that you peeled off to get to the gummie. I think the cellophane part was green and had the TMNT logo of the 1990's on it. The gummie itself was a random blend of green, red, yellow, and (the rare) blue colors. They were also around 2-2.5 inches all the way around so they weren't small little gummies.

I can't remember many of the gummie's shapes that they came in but I'm pretty sure one was in the shape of the back of a turtle shell. Maybe with the logo in the middle of the shell? I'd assume the four turtles each had a shape. I feel like Shredder was a shape too. And then if I had to guess maybe Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, or Splinter could have also been shapes of them.

Lastly I remember that they came as individual purchases. I remember getting them straight out of the box and being able to tear as many of them off at a time as I wanted. So when they got to the store in their box they were all attached to one another slightly. So if you wanted to buy three, you could just pull out three and tear it off at that point. Did they also come in six packs? I feel like that was also a completely different way to buy these gummies too. Maybe if you bought the six-pack (if that was actually a thing) you got all of the shapes too?

Anyway, I apologize for the ramble. I've just tried to learn more about the TMNT gummie candy in particular, and I can't find much about it online. So if anyone has any information or pictures about them I'd be extremely grateful.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
sleeplessknight
Thug

Hands down those TMNT ice cream bars with the bubble gum eyes were the absolute best thing ever. I never saw them at retail, I've only ever seen them available from ice cream trucks. I would RUN for the ice cream truck whenever I heard that jingle.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote